FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gaming Config Help

Post Date: 2015-04-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
IHateKate View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote IHateKate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming Config Help
    Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 12:37am
Looking for help in selecting a new gaming PC. Currently running a Dell XPS about 6 years old.

Budget:
<$3,000

Expectations:
Max Settings on League of Legends/World of Warcraft, while streaming on Twitch. Also the ability to clip highlight video's together for upload to YouTube.

Usage:
Gaming/Streaming/Small-time video editing

Special Needs:
NVidia Graphics.

Saved Ticket #:
Apollo Level 3- 1178956
Slade Level 3- 1178958

Specifications:
I run 2 monitors, one for gaming, the other for streaming/music/xfire/razercomms. I know little about motherboard/processer combo's and what configurations are capable of what. I'm happy with a 970 GPU, but don't have a problem going higher if my needs demand it. Don't need cool lights or anything, the hardware is what I care about, and keeping it cool. I can replace RAM/GPU later on, but I want a good motherboard/CPU combo that will last me a couple years. Can go above $3k if needed.

Thanks for your help!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 10:21am
Hi IHateKate....   Both builds look great and will give almost identical performance.   The biggest difference, the Slade 550D case vs the Apollo 760t case, is a lot of personal preference.   The 550D will run quieter due to the acoustic panels on the side and top to muffle the sound.   The 760T has more of the eye candy look and will have a bit better airflow due to the larger front fans and being more open., like the top.  Both, especially with a single video card , will work great.  Of course, the 550d can have fans added if the acoustic panels are removed for any future needs.

The i5-47690k chip is all gaming needs for the most part, but the i7-4790k you picked with its hyperthreading will help with a second monitor doing your other tasks.  Good pick.

The gtx 970 is a better bang for your buck, but the gtx 980 does give a 15%, give or take, performance boost in fps over the 970.    If you'll be sticking with a single card then the 980 with its double digit frames per second edge will come in handy.   If you thought about a second card in sli, I'd stay with the 970.

Change the Seagate HDD to the Western Digital Black for $19.  A better drive with longer warranty. 

The other difference between the builds was the psu.  I'm not sure what EVGA 750w psu they use, Gold, Bronze, etc.  but they generally have a much better warranty than the Corsair 750 offered. 

Looks good and hope this helps. Big%20Smile

EDIT...  From other discussions, I believe the 850 Pro SSD for a little more is the way to go. 

My preference, just me,  would be the Apollo with the drive changes, HDD and SSD,  and the EVGA 750w SuperNova.    I like a little something to look at with lights fans, etc in between heavy shooting.  

Edited by bprat22 - 14 Apr 2015 at 10:45am
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 11:11am

I'll echo what Bprat said.

Hate it when someone is more perfect than me, but ya just can't argue with perfection.    

Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Pacesetter

I'll echo what Bprat said.

Hate it when someone is more perfect than me, but ya just can't argue with perfection.    

Its really stressful for us, being so perfect.   
IHateKate View Drop Down

Quote IHateKate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 1:31am
Thanks for the advice I'm attempting to put in all your suggestions, and might go with SLI 970's instead of the 980. Question though what is the difference between these 970s in what PhysX, Strix Edition, and ACX Cooler Edition is and what they do?

"2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB (Includes PhysX)"

"1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB (ASUS Strix Edition)"

"2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB (EVGA ACX Cooler Edition) "

Thanks for all the help!!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 3:26am
The first card with Physx is just a marketing designation for that card since they all support Physx, which is software for much more realistic real world rendering of objects.

The Strix vs EVGA ACX coolers are custom coolers and custom circuit boards. There's reference cards that are all the same except manufacturers label and then the custom cards with each manufacturers personal touch.   

Both EVGA and ASUS have excellent reputations and can be just a personal choice.   I believe the Asus Strix is clocked a little higher.   They also, the Strix and ACX 2.0, allow the cooling fans to remain off until their temps hit about 60c.    Makes for a quieter rig since the video card fans can be the noisiest part of a gamin rig.

Either of the ones you listed will game real nice. The extra money is the added features.

A better description would be to Google the Strix and Evga ACX and read all the differences.

The 1x and 2x is just single vs sli.

Hope this helps.

Edited by bprat22 - 15 Apr 2015 at 3:28am
IHateKate View Drop Down

Quote IHateKate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 3:39am
Thanks bprat. Makes sense now. :-)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 4:25am
My pleasure.

Not sure which I would pick,so good luck.   I like the reference single fan cards since they exit all the heat out the back and not into the case. The dual fan cards dump heat into the case, just there design kicking the heat out the sides. But, the 0 rpm on lower stress and their other features are tempting with Strix, ACX, especially with the 970 being so low in heat compared to past generations. Tough call.
Clay View Drop Down

Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 8:11pm
Looks solid!!
I7 13700KF 5.4hz
ASUS Prime z790 MoBo
ASUS Dual 4070
32g ram@5200
850 Gold PSU
1TB SSD 2TB SSD
27" ASUS Monitor 144hz
Razer Ornata Chroma Keyboard
Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse