FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gaming and Professional Machine

Post Date: 2014-05-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
fredericofrg View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote fredericofrg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming and Professional Machine
    Posted: 05 May 2014 at 10:13pm
Hey guys, so i'm building a computer that the price is about 20,25 k.
I'm looking for a computer that is both a Gaming and Professional 3d rendering,modeling,photo editing and video editing computer and that can be upgraded if needed in the future.

I started thinking about get 3x GTX Titan Black 6GB and 1x Nvidia Quadro K6000 12GB, but a friend of mine told me that would be better a 2x GeForce GTX TITAN Black 6GB and 2x NVIDIA Tesla K20 Computing Processor (5GB of Memory) .

He said that is better than the quadro k6000.

is the tesla graphic card the newest one?
because i saw that has some of this tesla but K40 and other models.

So what you guys recommend?

Another thing what would be a good processor that is good for games and for professional use too ,currently i got Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 4960X 3.6GHz (Six-Core).

I choose 128 GB but seems like that the motherboard that i got doesn't support it (ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition X79 (Intel X79 Chipset)

I never used Windows 8 some people said that is not good, the last windows that i used was Windows 7 Home Premium. Would the Windows 7 Professional be better in this case?

Now about the Monitor i'm looking for 3 monitors and i will buy a Cintiq 24 HD Touch too.

For the Middle monitor that i will be using most of the time i was thinking about the
Asus 4K Gaming 31 inch PQ321Q Series (3840 x 2160 Resolution) Seems like is professional and is good for games too i think that the Gaming in the name means that right? but i saw on the website and says that is professional too.

I'm looking for a 1 3D monitor i'm thinking about get one NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 Kit (Asus 27 inch 120Hz VG278H + NVIDIA 3D V2 Glasses) and a Asus 27 inch Professional PB278Q (2560 x 1440) (100% sRGB) (WQHD LED Backlight) .

Now a mouse i got one that razer Mamba, still good i don't think is necessary another one, but if i decide to get a new mouse what you guys recommend?

I don't have a keyboard but i'm thinking about get this keyboard:
ROCCAT™ Ryos MK Pro
And i need a Headset that got a good microphone, tho i got a Rode Podcaster.
I'm looking for a Gaming Headset and maybe a good microphone for recording videos with Camtasia Studio. Not really for singing just for talk.

I was thinking about get this headset: Astro A50 WIRELESS SYSTEM.

I don't know about over clocking and if is good in this case.

So is pretty much this for now, i hope you guys can help me with that and if you got some better idea i'm freely open to hear it.
I got my last configuration load code so if you guys want to look at it , is here:

Thank you very much for all your help and time.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2014 at 10:32pm
First of all, welcome to the forums!

Whether you should get 3x GTX Titan Black 6GB and 1x Nvidia Quadro K6000 or a 2x GeForce GTX TITAN Black 6GB and 2x NVIDIA Tesla K20 really depends on the software you will be using and what parts it can utilize the best. In addition, getting gaming GeForce cards and Compute (Tesla/Quadro) cards together can sometimes be a hassle due to the driver's being different.

The Tesla K40 may not be on the configurator but we can definitely special order it for your build as long as their is supply.

The Intel 4960X is the top of line processor for your needs.

For the Windows version, it's always best to upgrade to the latest version as there are many performance improvements. However, you will also want to make sure that your professional software is compatible with Windows 8.

The ASUS 4K panel you are talking about is great for gaming and professional work (it's what we use for our needs). There are also cheaper models like the ASUS PB278Q that will be coming out soon, albeit with worse color reproduction and viewing angles.

The Razer Mamba is a great mouse, if it's still working shouldn't be a need to upgrade. They keyboard you are talking about is also good and gets very good reviews all around.

For the headphones, what would be your budget?

If you are using this system for professional work, it's best not to do insane overclocks as it could harm stability in the future. Mild overclocks should be fine.

Edited by Nav - 05 May 2014 at 10:33pm

Quote fredericofrg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2014 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Nav

First of all, welcome to the forums!

Whether you should get 3x GTX Titan Black 6GB and 1x Nvidia Quadro K6000 or a 2x GeForce GTX TITAN Black 6GB and 2x NVIDIA Tesla K20 really depends on the software you will be using and what parts it can utilize the best. In addition, getting gaming GeForce cards and Compute (Tesla/Quadro) cards together can sometimes be a hassle due to the driver's being different.

The Tesla K40 may not be on the configurator but we can definitely special order it for your build as long as their is supply.

The Intel 4960X is the top of line processor for your needs.

For the Windows version, it's always best to upgrade to the latest version as there are many performance improvements. However, you will also want to make sure that your professional software is compatible with Windows 8.

The ASUS 4K panel you are talking about is great for gaming and professional work (it's what we use for our needs). There are also cheaper models like the ASUS PB278Q that will be coming out soon, albeit with worse color reproduction and viewing angles.

The Razer Mamba is a great mouse, if it's still working shouldn't be a need to upgrade. They keyboard you are talking about is also good and gets very good reviews all around.

For the headphones, what would be your budget?

If you are using this system for professional work, it's best not to do insane overclocks as it could harm stability in the future. Mild overclocks should be fine.

Hello Nav, thank you for your answer that was fast ^^.

About this :

getting gaming GeForce cards and Compute (Tesla/Quadro) cards together can sometimes be a hassle due to the driver's being different.
What you recommend? My computer is more in a professional way but i want to be able to play some battlefield 4 too, I'm a student in Game Art & Design so :D .
Would the problem be to bad?
So the Tesla K40 is better then the quadro k6000? I want a less then 1 sec rendering time haha.

I will be using softwares like
Autodesk Maya, 3dsmax,Mud Box, Motion Builder, Zbrush, Unity, Unreal tournament development kit, Adobe Creative Cloud, Keyshot, Blender, After Effects this is part of the adobe pack, vray, metal ray...

My max price for this computer will be $25,000
the monitors i want all good monitors.

The Headphones would be more for gaming, because most of my professional work it would be the 3d part and not audio.

About the processor this 4960X is the i7 right the one that i said about it?

Oh i got one question do you guys have any another store in Minnesota?
I'm in Minneapolis or maybe you guys have a representative in here?

Thank you.

Edited by fredericofrg - 05 May 2014 at 10:59pm
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2014 at 11:02pm
When mixing Quadros / Geforce, etc you need to manually go into NVIDIA depending on when you want to game or do professional work. Also, the 4960X is indeed an i7 chip.

For the software that you are using, you're are going to want the Quadro cards. For headphones, you could go with something like the Astro's.

Quote fredericofrg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2014 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Nav

When mixing Quadros / Geforce, etc you need to manually go into NVIDIA depending on when you want to game or do professional work. Also, the 4960X is indeed an i7 chip.

For the software that you are using, you're are going to want the Quadro cards. For headphones, you could go with something like the Astro's.

So what you recommend 2x gtx titan 6gb and 2x quadro something?
what is the last quadro graphic card? is that the better?
and what is the Tesla graphic card for?

Would have any problem if mixing both the gtx titan and the quadro? or just with the tesla one?
This manually change is something hard to do?
If not i really don't care, is just like change the display connections?

Thank you again Nav, i appreciate that, thanks for your precious time :D.

Edited by fredericofrg - 05 May 2014 at 11:22pm
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2014 at 11:25pm
Depending on your workflow, a single Quadro K6000 might be enough. For 4K gaming, two SLI GTX Titan Black should be plenty but adding a third will give you enough horsepower that you don't have to worry about in the future.

Tesla cards are more for compute while Quadros are for rendering. You can combine the two like AnandTech did for combined benefits if your application supports it.

Once you mix Geforce + anything, there can be issues if you aren't familiar with changing driver settings when using different applications. That is why a lot of people opt to have a gaming machine and a separate rendering machine.

Quote fredericofrg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2014 at 11:38pm
Hm ok lets say i buy this computer with 2x titan and 2x quadro k6000 or maybe   2x titan and 1x quadro k6000 and 1x tesla k40 would that work better?

or 3x titan and 1 quadro k6000.
but lets say i try the computer for a month and i think that i need to have 2x quadro k6000 instead of only one, would be possible to change it?
About warranty if i open the computer lets say i buy another graphic card here and want to change it would the warranty be terminated?

Another thing the Trim finish how can i select that?
When i get to order this machine i need to put what i can't select, like more than 1 monitor and 2 different graphic card like 2x gtx titan and 2x quado k6000?
is possible to have 4 graphic cards that will be 2x gtx titan 6gb and 2x quadro k6000 12gb + 1x Tesla?

About the Ram Memory some guy said that this motherboard doesn't accept the 128 ECC registered, i dont really know what is this ecc registered. i saw that is some kind of data protection right?
if i still want this 128 gb ram what you recommend?

This motherboard already comes with the wifi card right?
because right now i'm using only wifi but i will soon get a rj45 connection.
so i choose the High Speed Network Port but i still need the wifi for now.

Thank you, again Nav.

Edited by fredericofrg - 06 May 2014 at 3:39am
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2014 at 1:34pm
For you case, i highly recommend just going with 3x Titan Blacks. Mixing Quadros and GeFore is just going to cause issues

You can buy another graphics card and install it yourself but we won't warrant that part.

Trim as in paint? We don't paint trim on cases as rather we can paint the whole chassis. The paint option is currently available only on the Bolt II and Aventum II.

If you need to add things that aren't available on the configurator, you can contact our sales team at [email protected] or you can call in at 1866-817-8676. In order to get more memory that is ECC registered, you need to go with our workstation line of computer. In regards to WiFi, the board does include a WiFi module.

Quote fredericofrg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2014 at 6:26pm
What is the disadvantage of having 3x or 4x titan blacks instead of the quadro k6000?
and if i want only the quadros so its good for games like battlefield 4?

Can i have 4x Quadro K6000 12 GB? Do i need to have 4 monitors if i want to have 4 graphic cards?

I'm looking to have only 3 monitors but i will have a Cintiq 24 HD Touch too.

Thank you Nav.

Edited by fredericofrg - 07 May 2014 at 7:34am
 Post Reply Post Reply