FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gameplay stutters on my Veloce

Post Date: 2014-08-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JerDev View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JerDev Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gameplay stutters on my Veloce
    Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 3:47pm
I have a DigitalStorm Veloce laptop that costed me about $1,777.
All my games, especially Heroes and Generals have such low fps [around 20-30], and on top of that, stuttering. The stuttering is like a slight pause every half-second or so. Any help?

Anyways, here are the specs:
System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Veloce 13.3 Inch Laptop (Model: S:7330:765M)
Display: 13.3 Inch Wide Angle (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) (Anti-glare) LED-Backlit Display
Processor: Intel Core i7 4800MQ (Up to 3.70Ghz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache)
Thermal Compound: Premium CPU and GPU Thermal Compound (Reduces Thermal & Laptop Noise)
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz (2x8GB Sticks)
Primary Hard Drive: - No Thanks
Secondary Hard Drive: 240GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Neutron GTX Series) (SATA 6Gbps)
Optical Drive: Option Not Available
Wireless Card: Killer Wireless-N 1202 Wireless LAN + Bluetooth 4.0 Module <b></b>
Video Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M 2GB with NVIDIA Optimus
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Advanced Recovery Kit (40GB Hard Drive Partition of Image With OS & Drivers)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office Suite: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Cooling Pad: - No Thanks
Extra Charger: - No Thanks
Extra Battery: - No Thanks
Audio: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Medium)
Warranty Plan: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 4:11pm
Does it work like that while plugged into AC?. Some laptops with nvidia Optimus will run on integrated graphics instead of your graphics card when on battery, to conserve battery. Optimus is switchable graphics between integrated and discrete graphics. The integrated isn't as strong as your 765m.

Edited by bprat22 - 14 Aug 2014 at 4:12pm
JerDev View Drop Down

Quote JerDev Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 4:21pm
Yes, AC is plugged in the entire time. I even tried manually editing in the nvidia control center to force GPU when the game executable opens.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 4:32pm
That Sager 7330 laptop has a respectable 1920x1080 screen if I'm not mistaken, and the 765m might not be strong enough. Try turning the resolution down to 1600x900 and see if you get another 10-20fps.

It could be a choice between high res or higher fps.

Keep in mind, I don't have a laptop and am just going on the performance of the card to the resolution.

If this doesn't help I'd give DS a buzz or wait for a laptop guy to show up.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 4:40pm
I think the 765m mobile is comparable to a desktop gtx 560, meaning game graphics with that resolution might need to be medium to high for a lot of games.
JerDev View Drop Down

Quote JerDev Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by bprat22

That Sager 7330 laptop has a respectable 1920x1080 screen if I'm not mistaken, and the 765m might not be strong enough. Try turning the resolution down to 1600x900 and see if you get another 10-20fps.

It could be a choice between high res or higher fps.

Keep in mind, I don't have a laptop and am just going on the performance of the card to the resolution.

If this doesn't help I'd give DS a buzz or wait for a laptop guy to show up.

Yup, I've tested it setting the resolution down to even 1280x720, without much [if any] improvement on fps, and stuttering still there.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 6:11pm
My other thought is to use Task Manager and msconfig to make sure no other programs or bench tests are running in the background, lugging down the graphics.   

Check the cpu and 765m temps with HWMONITOR.
JerDev View Drop Down

Quote JerDev Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 6:18pm
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8x4nzkrk988f5e/Screenshot%202014-08-14%2018.15.31.png

I don't trust HWMonitor's numbers as the shutdown point for the CPU is 100C, and yet it's showing temps of 90-100C, hence the SpeedFan next to it [which reports 80C temps]

And then again, same stuttering and low fps.
Note though, when I initially spawned, gameplay was really smooth, no stuttering, and around 60fps. But then after a minute, it starts stuttering and getting low 20-30fps
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 3:08am
Try using Coretemp.    Assuming HWMONITOR is correct, it sounds like your cpu is throttling back. Try using canned air to blow out the laptop of potential dust buildup. It doesn't take much dust to cause heating issues in a laptop.

You might remove the bottom access panels to inspect the fans, etc.

Cleaning and visually inspecting it for dust just checks off another potential cause.

Good luck.   
JerDev View Drop Down

Quote JerDev Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 3:12am

Try using Coretemp.    Assuming HWMONITOR is correct, it sounds like your cpu is throttling back. Try using canned air to blow out the laptop of potential dust buildup. It doesn't take much dust to cause heating issues in a laptop.

You might remove the bottom access panels to inspect the fans, etc.

Cleaning and visually inspecting it for dust just checks off another potential cause.

Good luck.   

Yup, CoreTemp is reporting the same temps as HWMonitor.
So I'm guessing my laptop i7 CPU really is hitting 100C :/ But wouldn't it be shutting down? I read on Intel's site that the max operating temp is 100C, and I've seen it hit 101-102 temps...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 3:32am
I think it'll try throttling back first to keep the temp at 100c or less, then shutdown if that doesn't work.   But, I can't be sure.

I would assume it's throttling and get the temps under control.

Didn't you have a similar question with another game a few months ago?   Going on memory. If so and it's relatively new, you might have a thermal paste issue but that might be getting ahead of things.

JerDev View Drop Down

Quote JerDev Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 4:41am

I think it'll try throttling back first to keep the temp at 100c or less, then shutdown if that doesn't work.   But, I can't be sure.

I would assume it's throttling and get the temps under control.

Didn't you have a similar question with another game a few months ago?   Going on memory. If so and it's relatively new, you might have a thermal paste issue but that might be getting ahead of things.

Yup, same problem. And if nothing else [because there isn't any dust], it must be a thermal paste issue... How can I go about checking, and fixing it?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 6:04am
I would first email/call DS and tell them the steps you've taken and the temps and make sure its that.  Better safe than sorry.  

If you're sure of the results then you'd have to remove the cpu heat sink from inside the bottom panel, clean the top of the chip with a bit of alcohol, easy does it,  and reapply a small bit of thermal paste.  Then remount the heat sink and cooling tubes  assembly.   It looks pretty straight forward. 

Here's a link that shows, I think, your Sager 7330 and how it comes apart. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=sager+np7330+%28clevo+w230st%29&sa=X&tbm=isch&imgil=LFIefawr8UJuRM%253A%253BIOuEwIfxA3chrM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fforum.notebookreview.com%25252Fsager-clevo-reviews-owners-lounges%25252F725922-htwingnut-s-sager-np7330-clevo-w230st-review.html&source=iu&usg=__0Cf8NGOHBFH4fX7BAFq6FZyiGUk%3D&ei=dQLuU6bfEYeAygTXvYDACQ&ved=0CGkQ9QEwDA&biw=1600&bih=786#facrc=_&imgdii=LFIefawr8UJuRM%3A%3BcVBC6Pxl8FE-jM%3BLFIefawr8UJuRM%3A&imgrc=LFIefawr8UJuRM%253A%3BIOuEwIfxA3chrM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi.imgur.com%252FGnqIpsj.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fforum.notebookreview.com%252Fsager-clevo-reviews-owners-lounges%252F725922-htwingnut-s-sager-np7330-clevo-w230st-review.html%3B1440%3B1080

I was going to just post a pic, but this has multiple images.   It looks like the gpu and cpu heat-sinks and pipes come off as one, so both would need to be cleaned and paste reapplied.

Also, make sure that fan is turning and no dust buildup first.

If the paste is not evenly spread or all dried up, that was probably the problem.

Best of luck and let us know.  Big%20Smile

Diamond type Thermal Compound has an excellent reputation. 

Edited by bprat22 - 15 Aug 2014 at 6:18am
JerDev View Drop Down

Quote JerDev Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 8:37pm

I would first email/call DS and tell them the steps you've taken and the temps and make sure its that.  Better safe than sorry.   If you're sure of the results then you'd have to remove the cpu heat sink from inside the bottom panel, clean the top of the chip with a bit of alcohol, easy does it,  and reapply a small bit of thermal paste.  Then remount the heat sink and cooling tubes  assembly.   It looks pretty straight forward.  Here's a link that shows, I think, your Sager 7330 and how it comes apart.  https://www.google.com/search?q=sager+np7330+%28clevo+w230st%29&sa=X&tbm=isch&imgil=LFIefawr8UJuRM%253A%253BIOuEwIfxA3chrM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fforum.notebookreview.com%25252Fsager-clevo-reviews-owners-lounges%25252F725922-htwingnut-s-sager-np7330-clevo-w230st-review.html&source=iu&usg=__0Cf8NGOHBFH4fX7BAFq6FZyiGUk%3D&ei=dQLuU6bfEYeAygTXvYDACQ&ved=0CGkQ9QEwDA&biw=1600&bih=786#facrc=_&imgdii=LFIefawr8UJuRM%3A%3BcVBC6Pxl8FE-jM%3BLFIefawr8UJuRM%3A&imgrc=LFIefawr8UJuRM%253A%3BIOuEwIfxA3chrM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi.imgur.com%252FGnqIpsj.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fforum.notebookreview.com%252Fsager-clevo-reviews-owners-lounges%252F725922-htwingnut-s-sager-np7330-clevo-w230st-review.html%3B1440%3B1080I was going to just post a pic, but this has multiple images.   It looks like the gpu and cpu heat-sinks and pipes come off as one, so both would need to be cleaned and paste reapplied.Also, make sure that fan is turning and no dust buildup first.If the paste is not evenly spread or all dried up, that was probably the problem. Best of luck and let us know.  Big%20SmileDiamond type Thermal Compound has an excellent reputation. 

Hi, I just applied a new thermal paste on both the GPU and CPU.

[oh and there was quite a bit of dust block airflow in the heatsink, so i removed almost all of it, so maybe that played a part?]

The gameplay stopped having those stutters! But oddly enough the temperatures stayed roughly the same, if not just wee bit worse?

Upon boot, temperatures were 67C-72C (minimum), and during gameplay temperatures were 99C-100C (maximum).

The compound I used were Antec Formula 6, and I followed this video on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFztLNvjchA) since this would be my first time applying [and it was intimidating! Scared I would destroy something].

Edited by JerDev - 16 Aug 2014 at 9:32pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2014 at 3:24am
Congrats on the paste reapply.    Ripping into a computer can be a bit unsettling. Now your a pro.

Good to see the stuttering gone but, yeah, those temps are suspect.   That 4800 does run hot but hitting 100c would concern me, although laptops do run hot.

Was the old paste dried up or had gaps?   Just curious.

Is the heat coming out of the vents hot? I would make sure the heat sink is dust free, 100%, if you can. Doesn't take much to mess with the cooling.   The fan can also loadup dust.

If the stuttering is gone and fps are up there then it's possible the temp readings are wrong, the chip not reading right. I'd email DS and ask them what to expect from temp readings. The various forums are loaded with others with the 4800mq running near 100c.

Thanks for your feedback and if DS gets back to you, let us know.

JerDev View Drop Down

Quote JerDev Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2014 at 3:45am

Congrats on the paste reapply.    Ripping into a computer can be a bit unsettling. Now your a pro.

Good to see the stuttering gone but, yeah, those temps are suspect.   That 4800 does run hot but hitting 100c would concern me, although laptops do run hot.

Was the old paste dried up or had gaps?   Just curious.

Is the heat coming out of the vents hot? I would make sure the heat sink is dust free, 100%, if you can. Doesn't take much to mess with the cooling.   The fan can also loadup dust.

If the stuttering is gone and fps are up there then it's possible the temp readings are wrong, the chip not reading right. I'd email DS and ask them what to expect from temp readings. The various forums are loaded with others with the 4800mq running near 100c.

Thanks for your feedback and if DS gets back to you, let us know.

As I was trying to lift the heatsink, it seemed like the heatplate for the GPU and CPU was sticking to them, and I had to use some force to separate the heatsink from the two. And when I did, I thought I ripped the CPU or GPU right off because of the sound, lol. But I guess it was just the paste that was really dried up and crackly. If the paste was dried up, would that have any effect on the thermal conductivity? I had to wipe away most of the old paste (just a little bit stayed on the surrounding of the metal shiny parts of the CPU and GPU because it was nearly impossible to wipe it clean with just a paper towel and alcohol. The actual part that touches the heatplate was completely clean of the old paste and I just applied the new paste following the YouTube tutorial.)

Is the 100C temperatures normal? I contacted DS a while back and they said it was normal... Not sure what to make of that since Intel says the max temp is 100C..

And the air coming out isn't hot, more like warm. Which is what you probably meant? Haha. So I'm pretty sure that its dissipating heat.

Edited by JerDev - 17 Aug 2014 at 3:46am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2014 at 4:06am
Having to pry the heatsink off the cpu lid is normal if the paste is dry. Feels like your going to break it.

Applying the new paste and cleaning the vents, heatsink and fan is about all you can do. Being the curious type, I did Google that chip and temps and found a lot of people saying the same thing. 100c seems common. I personally think it's hot but sometimes it is what it is.

At this point, if it was me, I'd just let it run and as long as gaming is good, just enjoy.   There are ways to undervolting the chip to reduce the heat(voltage is what drives th he heat), I've done it to a gpu, but then you risk random display faults with a gpu. Cpu would be a different fault.

Edited by bprat22 - 17 Aug 2014 at 5:34am
JerDev View Drop Down

Quote JerDev Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2014 at 4:29am
Haha, coolio. Thanks for the help!

Question though, what was causing the stuttering? I was thinking temperatures, but after adding the new paste, the temps stayed the same but the stuttering gone..
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2014 at 4:46am
Good question.   I think the paste , and dust removal, did help with temps where it counts internally but for some reason,what HWMONITOR, etc show and what the chips algorithm relies on, is different. That might be stretching the theory to match the facts but it could be.

Edited by bprat22 - 17 Aug 2014 at 4:46am
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 5:51am
You're on a laptop. Try changing your power options from balanced or mobile to high performance. That may help in giving your GPU more power to be able to pump out better FPS and smoother game play.

Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply