FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Front USB Ports and Card Reader not Working

Post Date: 2015-02-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TechyViking View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TechyViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Front USB Ports and Card Reader not Working
    Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 6:50am
I'm having a problem that I think I brought on by myself. Oops

I have a Bolt II that I bought right around New Years, and it's the most amazing rig I've ever owned!  Seriously.  This thing does exactly what I want it to and when I want it to.  Well worth every penny!

Unfortunately, I managed to do something stupid and now the front USB ports, card reader, etc. no longer respond.

I was plugging in an external hard drive, and it's one that I've used before during data transfer from my crappy old computer.  I couldn't see very well, so I felt around the side until I found the port and plugged the drive in, but my hand slipped and I yanked the thing back out right after the computer made it's familiar "bleep" to let me know that there was a new device.  Now it doesn't recognize anything that's plugged into any of the front ports.

I tried plugging in a flash drive, putting the camera's SD card into its slot, etc.  It doesn't recognize anything.  I know the back ones work, as my mouse, keyboard, and printer are plugged in back there, and I'm obviously able to type.

Any ideas?

- Intel Core i5 4690K CPU
- 8GB 1600MHz Memory
- NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB
- 120GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
- 1TB 7200RPM Storage HDD
- GIGABYTE Z97N-WIFI (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Mini-ITX)
- 500W Digital Storm PSU
- Microsoft Windows 8.1
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 7:12am
It may be hung on "finish installing".

I'd try a restore to the last known good configuration or the last restore point (depending on Windows version and the way you do it).

I'd start in safe mode and do the restore in safe mode.

Hope this helps.
Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 7:35am
Good ideas. Big%20Smile    If that doesn't work,  I'd also turn it off, unplug it, hold in the power on button for several seconds and then re hook it up.   Could be a gremlin floating around that needs to be cleared.

Quote TechyViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 6:27am
Neither of those things worked.  I'm beginning to wonder if I managed to do some damage.  Last time I turned on the computer, I got a message saying that the computer didn't recognize the device, and that if the problem continued it could be the device isn't working.

I knew that wasn't the case, as nothing is working when I plug it in on any front ports (I don't know about the headphone jack yet, as I use the speakers for that), but just to see, I tried hooking the drive up to my laptop and it worked.

If something is physically wrong, what can I do about it?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 6:51am
I don't have the Bolt 2 to give you any definite answer, but if you take off the left and right side panels, thumbscrews on the back,  are there Philips head screws on either side of the front panel, top and bottom, that allow you to pull the front away so you can peek in there?    Either the board they all are hooked to is now bad or a wire or wires has come loose that goes from the front panel to the motherboard.  

If nothing seems apparent I'd call DS.  They'll know for sure the best way to go.  They're closed on weekends so today if time allows. 

Edited by bprat22 - 13 Feb 2015 at 6:52am
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 10:15am
If you need to take the front cover off, it is not too hard and only a few screws.

First, you will want to take both side panels off. Then, if you have an ODD, you will need to remove that (four screws; be careful when pulling back, the plastic face plate will probably pop off). After that, there are four screws holding the front cover on near the corners; remove them. Next step is important: the cover has a little bit of spring to it and you want to pull out and slide off the cover on the GPU/ODD side first (it is a pretty snug fit, but like I said, there is plenty of spring to the metal). After that, the cover should be free to pull away from the ports and cases (there is still structure beneath it so the case will still have integrity).

To put it back on, just go in reverse, the hardest part fitting the cover back on and precisely aligning the ports on the side of it.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 11:16am
There ya go.  Can't beat the voice of experience.  Big%20Smile
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 1:09pm
"Last time I turned on the computer, I got a message saying that the computer didn't recognize the device." is a clue.

Open control panel - devices and printers, and see if the external HDD is there. If it is, delete it.

Then look in device manager for an ! on anything there, USB - storage controllers etc.   In this case you can try updating drivers or if it isn't system critical uninstall it and do a complete shut down. then start the machine back up and let windows find and install the USB controller or whatever it had a problem with.

Another thought is to shut down - unplug the front panel at the motherboard, - restart it and let it completely get thru POST and troubleshooting ---- shut down again and plug it back in then restart and let windows find it again.
Vanquish II Ultimate.

Quote TechyViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 5:45am
Thanks for all the replies!  I just got back home after being gone for a few days, so I'll be sure to give them a try.

Quote TechyViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 9:28am
Ugh.  The last screw on the front panel is stuck and eating my screwdrivers alive!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 12:15pm
Hi TechyViking,

It sounds like the front USB PCB board might have got damaged, we can help send you a new replacement PCB board that you can swap out if you are comfortable doing it.

Feel free to contact our team directly for help with this.

Fingers crossed on you trying to get the screw out, you might need to use a different tool bit that can fully grab the screw head.

Quote TechyViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 6:45am
I might wind up doing that.  Still can't get the screw out and the screw head isn't sticking out at all, so I can't grab it with anything.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 7:04am
If you can't get a grip on the screw and the head is stripped, you can use a small drill bit and either, drill it out enough to break the head, or just enough to use an Easy out bolt extractor.  I've used them a ton of times and they work great.

But, you have to make sure no metal shards get into the rig.   This is a last resort but sometimes is necessary. 

Edited by bprat22 - 26 Feb 2015 at 7:05am

Quote TechyViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 6:06am
Still haven't got that screw out, so I'm thinking I'll have to do that.  The head isn't stripped yet, it's just that it's stuck very badly.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 8:25pm

An old trick I use that has often worked on stripped screws or ones with rounded slots. (or ones that just won't break free)

Note: you might need a 1/4 inch drive set with adapters to get around the edge of the frame or whatever.

Get a battery operated drill with a clutch, like
http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-screwdrivers--screwguns-screwdrivers-dcf610s2.aspx

Set the clutch to 1 and try it. The clutch will just chatter when it can't turn the screw. Let it chatter a bit before going to the next step. Step up 1 number at a time until it breaks the screw loose. Once the screw is loose you can remove it with the screwgun or a regular screwdriver. whichever is easier.

The clutch allows the screwgun to act like an impact wrench and hammer the screw to unlock it's grip.

Hope this helps.

PS: if you can get at it the ball end of a ball peen hammer will work to 'redifine' the screw slot for a better grip.

Edited by Pacesetter - 27 Mar 2015 at 8:27pm
Vanquish II Ultimate.
 Post Reply Post Reply