Post Date: 2014-10-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Freight receipt procedure
    Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 6:36am
DroolingConfused
I am getting my system (Aventum II) sometime next week by UPS Freight. Does anybody know if I also have to pay extra for the unloading of the pallet or need some special equipment? It supposedly weighs 250 lbs.! I want to make sure I am ready. Thank you for any information. I will post my experience. 
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 6:57am
Whoa Good lord, did you order 4 Aventums in one? I was under the impression that they weighed between 70-80 lbs fully loaded.

That said, I do not believe you will have to pay anything to have the pallet unloaded, I imagine that is part of the delivery service. As for special equipment - maybe a strong friend to help carry the box? LOL

Looking forward to hearing about it, mine is arriving sometime in the next week or two and I want to know what to expect!
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
HydroLux Level 4 (3x GPU + CPU. No chipset)
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 7:15am
Drooling
Thanks. I only ordered a downgraded level 4 (4x980s instead of 2xTitan Zs, I still don't know if I chose right) and some little additions (RAM, cooling, etc.) Maybe they include the weight of the pallet and round it to the nearest 50lbs.LOL
Again, thank you, I appreciate the help this community offers.
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 7:29am
No problem - others will probably be able to order more insight, as I haven't actually received mine yet so I'm going off of what I've seen around the forums/configuration page. Totally agreed on the community, too. They've been a massive asset to me along the ordering process, nice to know that there's such a strong sense of family among fellow buyers.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 7:40am
If the weight is 150 lbs or so heavy than it should be, sounds like Alex or Nav fell asleep on the pallet as it was weighed.  Hahaha

Gotta posts pics of this beast.  Gonna be epic.  StrongBig%20Smile
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 7:50am
Originally posted by bprat22

If the weight is 150 lbs or so heavy than it should be, sounds like Alex or Nav fell asleep on the pallet as it was weighed.  Hahaha

Gotta posts pics of this beast.  Gonna be epic.  StrongBig%20Smile

Thanks. It does have the 2 power supply option and they can be heavy. I went a little order crazy. I sort of don't want any problems with games for a year or two.
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 7:51am
Heh, something tells me you'll be okay for at least a year or two Wink
Missed your other thread - what resolution are you planning on gaming at, and across how many monitors?
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Eggy

Missed your other thread - what resolution are you planning on gaming at, and across how many monitors?

I only have one monitor and I want to max out everything. DroolingMaking room for another one if I get the nerve. I am only learning and at my age it is a slow process.Big%20Smile like going in the water and learning to swim at the same time.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 9:40am
That's one beastly system!

In regards to what you need, the freight company will bring the pallet off the truck and to your property. Unless you have a pallet jack or a warehouse, you'll just need to remove the box the computer is in from the pallet and bring the box inside to your house.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 10:30am
Originally posted by hoserator

Originally posted by Eggy

I only have one monitor and I want to max out everything. DroolingMaking room for another one if I get the nerve. I am only learning and at my age it is a slow process.Big%20Smile like going in the water and learning to swim at the same time.

Your four cards won't even performance at their maximum with just one monitor. Even on games with fully maxed out settings. If you want to fully use all the power ahead of you, you'll want at least one 1440p monitor with another 1080p monitor or two.

It's a simple fact of a single 1080p monitor or even a single 1440p monitor just won't fully utilize what you have. You could literally get the exact same performance out say 2x GTX 980s vs 4x GTX 980's if you're only gaming on a single 1080p monitor.

My recommendation. Go buy a ASUS PG278Q as your primary and either a couple of 1080p monitors or buy a second 1440p monitor like the ASUS PB278Q. Unless 4k is what you want, then the ASUS PB287Q is a nice choice.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 2:15pm
Thank you for your response. I ordered a PG278Q. Can you mix different monitors? I hate showing my ignorance but I will be the first to admit that I know very little about these things. I do appreciate your input and suggestions since I want to learn and I have read what you have written on other posts showing that you are very knowledgeable. Don't be too harsh on my choices, I now realize I should have participated and inquired more but...............it can be a steep learning curve.Oops
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 2:40pm
Yes you can mix different monitors
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 2:58pm
Thanks. I like to have more horsepower than I need but I might exceeded needs a little and went with wants. I will document the arrival and setup and post it.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 10:00am
Hi All Interested,
The shipping company got in touch with us and set up a delivery appointment for tomorrow afternoon. Thank you for your input, I will post how it went.Excited
gbutts55 View Drop Down

Quote gbutts55 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 2:50pm

DroolingThanks. I only ordered a downgraded level 4 (4x980s instead of 2xTitan Zs, I still don't know if I chose right) and some little additions (RAM, cooling, etc.) Maybe they include the weight of the pallet and round it to the nearest 50lbs.LOLAgain, thank you, I appreciate the help this community offers.

I do kind of wonder why you would spend so much money on a computer. A simple $1500 dollar computer would max out all current games and games for the next couple years. 4 video cards is just a waste of resources. You never tap them to the full potential in a year a or two one single high end gpu will prolly give you better performance. Plus you said your only gonna play on one screen?!?!

I understand some people have money to burn. But even if I had a spare 7K lying around, I still think I would get a basic 2K computer, 2x graphics cards at most.

Edited by gbutts55 - 29 Oct 2014 at 2:53pm
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 2:55pm
It depends on the resolution you are running at.

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5623/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-sli--3-way-sli--4-way-sli-review

You get much better FPS on higher resolutions using more GPU's in SLI than a single high end GPU.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by gbutts55

DroolingThanks. I only ordered a downgraded level 4 (4x980s instead of 2xTitan Zs, I still don't know if I chose right) and some little additions (RAM, cooling, etc.) Maybe they include the weight of the pallet and round it to the nearest 50lbs.LOLAgain, thank you, I appreciate the help this community offers.

I do kind of wonder why you would spend so much money on a computer. A simple $1500 dollar computer would max out all current games and games for the next couple years. 4 video cards is just a waste of resources. You never tap them to the full potential in a year a or two one single high end gpu will prolly give you better performance. Plus you said your only gonna play on one screen?!?!

I understand some people have money to burn. But even if I had a spare 7K lying around, I still think I would get a basic 2K computer, 2x graphics cards at most.

Most people like going hardcore on computers and buying an aventum is a one of a kind computer you will never find elsewhere
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 4:17pm
Same reason some people buy Ferraris when a bicycle will do, because you can.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 3:31am
Because it's there. Because they can. Because they want to.   Because, basically, it's none of our business what anyone else wants to do with their own money.

If someone want's to drop 2million U$D on a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport, it's their business...

It's all about perspective.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 5:40am
Originally posted by Snaike

Because it's there. Because they can. Because they want to.   Because, basically, it's none of our business what anyone else wants to do with their own money.

If someone want's to drop 2million U$D on a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport, it's their business...

It's all about perspective.

If i had 2 mill i would buy it just to showcase it :P
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 5:57am

Same reason some people buy Ferraris when a bicycle will do, because you can.

This guy right here. I like him. Awesome

And to be fair, to Ariktu's point, if you aren't gaming at 1080p, it isn't necessarily "overkill" (/cringe). The 980's scale better as you get to higher resolutions, and considering the PG278Q that Hoserator bought, I think it's a solid decision. Looking forward to the unboxing!!
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 3:46am
Hi all,

I received my Aventum last night. IT IS HUGE. I ordered freight delivery and everything came shrink wrapped loaded in a pallet. The peripherals, manuals, monitor and PC all came together. The PC is apparently placed in the box, protected with plastic and the whole thing injected with foam in two halves. It takes a while to remove the foam since it fills the back and bottom of the PCs case. Once the foam was removed the PC lays there on its side in all its glory. As we stood it up, some loose part noises came from the inside of the case. You will need a strong friend for removal from the box since it wants to drag the bottom half of the foam out with it. Once we had the PC out of the box, we could see through the large side window that a memory stick was lying on the top of the radiator. There are no instructions on how to open the case but it is intuitive, kind of. I reinserted the memory in its place and locked another one that was left unlocked. I proceeded to inspect the wiring and cooling tubes to make sure they appeared set. There were 2 small foam squares holding everything in place inside that need removing. You will not see them unless the case is opened. Again, with the help of a friend, we took the PC to my office/play room and placed next to my current one, which I thought was big, NOT. I cannot say enough how big this thing is! We removed all the accompanying parts and started wiring everything. By this time it was past my bedtime, so I had to quit and leave it alone.
I took some pictures which I will attempt to load here or e-mail to Alex. I have to be out of the house all morning so I will start it when I get back and report how that went.

PS. Meller, I am ordering a PB287Q. I am reorganizing my desk and might find place for another one to make three. Hello 21st Century.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 3:49am
Nice... Welcome to 4k. Can't wait to see it in all its glory!
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 6:49am
Hi there,

Got it running after some LTE  (Lack of Technical Expertise) and subsequent assistance. I am still understanding Win7 and where things are placed. I sent Alex some photos, hope he can post them.
It is very quiet. Did I mention it's BIG? Do you know if I can order more SSDs from DS and install them in site?
Anyway, this thread is finished since the computer arrived with no damage and is now operating. Thank you for the interest. From my perspective, I never felt alone and got to recognize some of you. I am looking forward to continue.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 7:59am
I don't recall how many hard drives and SSD's you ordered. But as long as you have Sata ports open on your motherboard, you can install all the SSD's you want. They are plug and play. Hook up the sata power and sata cable and you're good to go. Windows 7 should auto format any new drive for you so that it literally shows up as a new "hard drive" as soon as you boot up.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 8:14am
Thanks. You have been very helpful.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 9:30am

Oh hell... don't say that, his head's big enough as it is...
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Snaike

Oh hell... don't say that, his head's big enough as it is...

Get on my level
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 3:43pm
The Aventum II is one massive beast! Hope you enjoy it, feel free to email me if you need help.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Alex

The Aventum II is one massive beast! Hope you enjoy it, feel free to email me if you need help.

I emailed you for help... </3
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
 Post Reply Post Reply