FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Questions, New System +$5,000

Post Date: 2009-06-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SuperSoldier1 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SuperSoldier1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Questions, New System +$5,000
    Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 4:13pm
Ok, I have been wanting to buy a new system for years and one of the things that have been holding me back is that I will buy the system, and shortly after a major inovation will be released that will not be compatable with my new system that costs thousamds of dollars. I am running out of time with this dinosour (6 yo XPS Gen 5). BUDGET $5,500 (dont have to spend it all, and remember there is a $300 discount after check out)
  1.  Regarding the next gen of video cards, the 300 series, is there any idea if they will be compatable with the current generation of motherboards and systems. I dont want to buy a system now if it means this generation is as good as the GPUs will get.
  2. SSD's are faster than 10,000 RPM drives, but is the insane cost really worth it? I am willing to spend a bit over $5,000 on a new system and I want it to be kick-ass and be able to play games on very high settings (I have not picked a res. for a monitor yes, but HD for sure) for years to come with only upgrading graphics cards. This is why I think the i7 975 overclocked would keep me at the top for years to come. I dont want to spend and extra $600 for SSDs that will just load up games a few seconds faster.
  3. I am not sure if or what I should have DS do in terms of OCing. I dont know how to do it now, but I am sure that it is not that hard to figure out. My concern is does DIY void the warranty? Also, with this config I am streching my budget, is it worth paying $200 for them to OC?
  4. Cooling, there are so many options, and since I want to OC a proccesor that is already the world's fastest i know I might need to come prepared, but you guys are the experts, you know what I would need. Also, would H20 cooling for my CPU keep the rest of the computer cool enough or would that need something too? the H20 cooling for the GPUs cost so much.
  5. I am pretty sure I am going to go with 1 GPU, I will tell you why. I am going to go with the 295 Red Edition, which is the best. My main reason for staying with one is that I do not want to spend $1500 on cards that will not support DX11. So I am going with one, the best one, but one, till the 300 series comes out, as well as DX11. As well as that, another card really pushes my budget, but if you guys think its worth it, let me know (if DS gives me a better deal I would consider it).

I will post the link to system I have come up with, please help me out. You guys on the forum seem to know your stuff, so tell me if I am going in the wrong direction. This is a masive investment for me (I want to get this for my 15th birthday and have been saving up for years).

Ticket Number: 293460
Total Price with Instant Savings: $5,180.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=293460

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 975 3.33GHz (Quad Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1866MHz Digital Storm Certified by Mushkin (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W PC Power & Cooling (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Card Reader: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (Extreme Speed)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 Red Edition  1.792GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: High-Performance Liquid Chilled FrostBite System For CPU
Liquid Color:Blue: Non-conductive High-Performance Fluid (Requires H20: Stage 3 Cooling Package)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect For H20: Stage 3 UV Fluid)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my processor
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows
OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty
P.S. THANKS FOR READING ALL THAT, I KNOW ITS ALOT.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 4:39pm
let me give you some info and grab some info from you.

1. even Nvidia does not know what the 300 will look like or even what it will be called, we are just calling it that for lack of name, so we don't know, but whatever they are they will work with PCI-e 2.0, but if they are PCI-3.0 then there is nothing we can do. but 3.0 will be backward compatible with 2.0.

2. SSDs are great, their price is not, why not just go with a 500GB drive now and then end of 2009 or H1 of 2010 upgrade to SSD which should have better prices.

3. you don't need to OC to 4.0GHz, have stage one OC, then you can push it yourself if you like, meantime it will be under warranty with OC.

4. depending on your room temp, LC always gives you the best temp, for your budget I would LC on CPU only.

5. 2 x 275 GTX will do better then 1 x 295 GTX, and they will do better in games that don't support sli also and they cost less then 295.

now I will show you 2 different configs, both will do pretty much the same in games, doubt you would notice any difference in games but in other tasks the high-end will do a little better.

now before I show you a high-end and a mid-end if you will I need to know some info.

1. what is the main use of this PC?

2. what is the secondary use of this PC?

3. what is the resolution of the monitor you are going to use this system on?

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Jun 2009 at 4:54pm
Mikey14 View Drop Down

Quote Mikey14 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 4:40pm
There are some things wrong with this config:

1. IF you are not a serious OC'er then the 975 and the Classified are a waste.

2. You may not have need for a 295 and if you do 2x 275's or even 3x275's would be a better choice.  If your monitor is under 24" 1 275, 24"-28" 2x 275 and 30" + 3x 275. 

3. There is absolutely no reason for a 5.5k system not to have SSD's.  They are faster and more reliable.

4.  If you arent going to get DS to OC this comp then are you experienced yourself?  It is a great value to let them do it and its included in warranty. 

5 The 1866MHz memory is a waste unless you want unnoticable preformance gains in real world applications but slightly better bench marks. 

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 4:50pm
I do want to say that the i7 975 has been overclocking to 4.6GHz in-house with stability. It's not 100% concrete yet (we are fine-tuning it still), but, if you have the money/budget, it's a must!

Edited by Alex - 12 Jun 2009 at 4:50pm

Quote SuperSoldier1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 4:58pm
@DST4ME
1: Main use would be games
2. Secondary would be school work
3. a res of 1920 x 1200

@Mikey14
3. My question is how much better preformance, I am willing to save $600 if the performance gain is minimal and just buy one in a year or so when te prices have dropped.
5. what speed would you recomend?
Mikey14 View Drop Down

Quote Mikey14 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 5:07pm

3. If you are worried about money then go with an SSD in a little when the Vertex 2

5. 1333MHz theres reallly no dif. except price.

For 1900x1200 2x275's should be plenty of power and you can upgrade to tri SLI if it's not enough power.

Edited by Mikey14 - 12 Jun 2009 at 5:10pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 5:09pm
ok then gaming here we go, highend:

Here you go Ticket# 293481 --- Price: $4962 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $4712

Copy of Specifications:
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 975 3.33GHz (Quad Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Dominator GT (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 896MB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: High-Performance Liquid Chilled FrostBite System For CPU
Liquid Color:UV Redish Pink: Medium Glowing Non-conductive Fluid (Requires H20: Stage 3 & UV Lighting)Stage 3 Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect For H20: Stage 3 UV Fluid)
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock the processor between 4.0GHz to 4.2GHz (Requires H20 Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 5 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty (Highly Recommended)

---------------------------------------------------------

midend if you will:

Here you go Ticket# 293483 --- Price: $3602 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $3402

Copy of Specifications:
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1333MHz Digital Storm Certified by mushkin enhanced (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 896MB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Liquid Color:UV Redish Pink: Medium Glowing Non-conductive Fluid (Requires H20: Stage 3 & UV Lighting) Stage 3 Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock the processor between 4.0GHz to 4.2GHz (Requires H20 Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Warranty: 5 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty (Highly Recommended)

---------------------------------------------------------

now in gaming you won't notice much of a difference if any at your resolution between these 2 systems, in other tasks like DVD encoding or other things like that you will notice some what of a difference but in gaming you won't.

I left the HDD at 500GB since you are not decided on the HDD, all you have to do is click on the links and edit the config if you like, I say either go with OCZ 120GB or the 250GB SSD or better yet wait till next year and upgrade to a better SSD for a better price.

notice both these system come with a 5 year warranty, feel free to drop back to 3 year warranty if you like it should save about $250 off the price.

your thoughts?

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Jun 2009 at 5:19pm

Quote SuperSoldier1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 5:20pm
Ok, I see what your saying and I like what your showing me. My question is RAM, you two seem to disagree on the high end, with one saying 1333 and the other 2000, what difference would theese two make?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 5:24pm
in gaming at your resolution? this much:

Crysis Warhead DX10

Far Cry 2

if you think max of 4 fps is worth the money then go ahead

as I mentioned in my first post, I will show you 2 different builds but in gaming you won't notice the difference in performance.

highend parts don't always mean more performacne in games.

but in other tasks you will see some difference.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Jun 2009 at 5:27pm

Quote SuperSoldier1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 5:30pm
Ok, this is good info, my last question I can think of. I am not going to go for a SSD right now becasue I know in a year I can get one cheaper, with more memory. With the HDD I will get now what difference would the 10,000RPM and the 7,200RPM make? Also, I am a bit paranoid when it comes to power, would the 1000 W be able to handle tri SLI, overclocking to 4.2GHz, H20 cooling (this is for future upgrading)? I just want to be sure I dont at some point wish I had that extra 200W.

Edited by SuperSoldier1 - 12 Jun 2009 at 5:31pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 5:36pm
well I always try and stay away from 1200w PSU when possible, the 1000w puts out enough heat lol the 1200 just puts out more heat, Tri sli 275 you should be find, a 1000w can handle Tri sli or 2 x 295. SSD and such won't draw much power.

at the time of order double check with DS to be sure but I'm sure you will be fine.

if you have the money go for the veloci then, its much better then a 7200rpm.

your original setup of HDD1 a fast drive for OS/apps/games and a 500GB for HDD2 for personal/media file storage is a great idea, next year just replace the Veloci.

and to keep your OS intact and moved to the SSD real easy use the cloning method, you can follow my clone guide here, just clone the Veloci to the SSD and your good to do, no need to reinstall anything

my builds always have the near future in mind

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Jun 2009 at 5:37pm

Quote SuperSoldier1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 5:41pm
Thanks so much, This has helped alot. I hope to buy the system soon.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 5:48pm
My pleasure

how long before you do so do you think?

Quote SuperSoldier1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 5:49pm

Maybe next week...

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 5:52pm
oh OK, I was gonna say if its gonna be a couple of weeks come and let me reconfig cause prices change all the time here but next week you should be fine

good luck and make sure you post pics and specs when you get the system
Sarah View Drop Down

Hardcore Gamer

Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 6:20pm
Hey SuperSolider, when your ready to purchase, or if you have anymore questions, give me a call. I will get you taken care of.
Sarah
If you have sales questions, please contact [email protected]

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 6:22pm
Sarah is great, she will take great care of you

Quote SuperSoldier1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 6:54pm

Wow, thanks guys, and Sarah, I will contact you as soon as I'm ready.

Post Reply Post Reply