FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My review // Now with PICTURES of HAF case!

Post Date: 2008-09-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jeremiah.L View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jeremiah.L Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: My review // Now with PICTURES of HAF case!
    Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 7:04am
Ookay, Hello everyone, and while there are about 3,450,129,193,123 reviews on this site, I thought I'd add my own in here as well.

Updated stuffs!

Anyone up for some pictures? They are worth a thousand words after all.
I think it's safe to say that DSO does a damn good job with cord placement and aesthetics.

It has come to my attention that I am indeed an idiot. Photobucket has an option to make thumbnails automatically! Many thanks for DST4ME for going through the hassle of hosting them on his own site. If I had taken more than 15 seconds to see all the options photobucket gave me, I'd have seen the thumbnail / URL option.

Final edit -- The system runs like a champion. buy a DSO system, and be happy. Haven't had a crash for a long while, and now consider the system rock solid as advertised.

Gaming is a dream on the system, and I couldn't be happier with the computer DSO built for me. I will fully recommend DSO to family and friends. I can definitely see myself buying another computer from DSO later down the road.
Thanks for everything!

Previously --

I ordered my system 09/12/08, and the computer shipped out of the DSO warehouse 09/23/08. This is a total of 8 business days, so already, DSO beat their estimations on how long it would take. This is my system's specs:

Order Contents:

Chassis: Cooler Master HAF 932
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz (1333MHz FSB) (12MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 790i Ultra Core 2 Quad (nForce 790i Ultra SLI) (DDR3 Only)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 OCZ at 1600MHz Platinum Edition
Card Reader: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Hard Drive 1: 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive 2: 500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Video Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Razer Barracuda AC-1 (Recommended)
Extreme Cooling: Liquid Chilled FrostBite CPU Only
Internal Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Blue Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
CPU Boost: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Memory Boost: Yes, Overclock memory timings (Includes Memory Fan Kit Installed)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

My first experience with DSO Customer support was a phone call, shortly before placing my order. I just wanted someone to look over my system and see if there was anything that looked out of the ordinary. I got Kelly on the phone, and he was quite patient with me while I just kind of stumbled all over my build, asking what was probably stupid questions. While this was going on, he even suggested I take a couple of things off of my computer, to save me some money. Things I didn't need. I could totally see him rolling his eyes at me over the phone lol (I'm kind of shy, and I'm not a big phone talker... I think it was obvious), however he stuck through it.

When I first purchased the system, there were a couple of things different about it: Slower RAM speed, a different case. After listening to a couple of suggestions from Kelly, I changed to the HAF case and the OCZ 1600MHz Ram. The overall cost difference was not much, so no problems there. Unfortunately, I asked for these changes when the system was in Stage 2, and my email wasn't answered for whatever strange reason. I had to call the day after I sent the email, after not seeing a response (By the way, DSO has a very fast email response. Big kudos for that), and got Kelly again. He claimed that he answered all of my emails, but after I insisted I sent another email to ask for those items changed, did he find it in the sales inbox

My guess is that someone opened it, and just had a brainfart, or got sidetracked. That's no real biggie though, it happens to the best of us, and I wasn't too mad about it.

The only real downer about the above is that, like I said, at the time I asked for the parts to be changed, the system was still in Stage 2, and therefore all the components were in a big plastic bin, presumably unopened. By the time I got my request honored, the system was in stage 4 (Stage 3 confirmation was never emailed to me). This was Sept 15. Stage 4 happened Sept. 16.

Because of this, I was charged a $60 rebuild fee that may or may not have been avoided. It was a little disheartening...

That's all the negative I have to say about customer support though! During the building, these poor guys were bombarded by at least 15-20 questions from me, and I was most pleased that Kelly answered almost all of them in a very polite, patient manner. Dealing with customer service at DSO is a real pleasure... I believe someone here on the forums said that talking with the folks at DSO is like talking with a friend... I now understand what that person meant. Big kudos to Kelly. He's a keeper for sure.

The day before (Sept 22), I also asked a couple of last questions, which were promptly answered by Duke. Thanks Duke!

*Edit* Kelly informed me that the CPU was OC'd to 3.34 GHz! VERY NICE JUMP!

Nobody give me grief over the room; it looks completely different now! Can't do much about the stains on the carpet; it's ancient, and is about to be replaced anyway.

The computer system fired up right out of the box, with no flaws. I haven't had a chance to really put it through it's paces, but I'm more than pleased that it is capable of recording video at least 1920x1200 resolution with at LEAST 48 FPS. I'll post what I think about performance later next week.

As an update on stability, I've had the system blue screen on me once (ERROR! "Modification of system code or critical data structure"). Google seems a bit vague on it, so I may have some funny RAM, or it isn't set right. If it goes BSOD again, I'll check the seating, if I can figure out how to get the cooling fan off of the RAM.

I've also had the system completely freeze on me out of the blue; as in, no response whatsoever. Had to force shut down by holding the power button down. I was actually away from the computer when this happened (Was watching Oz with the wife). Both times, there was nothing going on except an open web browser. If this happens again, I will be calling support on it.

*Edit* The computer keeps freezing up on me. Is this because of the CPU?

Performance wise, I am blown away. Everything runs like Hell on Wheels. The Velociraptor is incredible, reaching writing speeds of 150mb/sec (If Window's Copying calculations are to be trusted), and gaming is a true joy.

I have on it at the moment -- the Saga of Ryzom / Warhammer Online / Crysis / S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky / The Witcher... all run extremely well except S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Crysis. Crysis is far more playable though, motion blur does wonders for low FPS.
In the end on gaming, I am going to take DST4ME's advice and nab another GTX280 near the end of the year. By then my bank account can take another beating.

I have determined that DSO did a fine job on Overclocking the system. I set the system to base speed because my computer kept crashing, and recently I've discovered that whenever FRAPS is loaded, the system has a chance to freeze up. Not running FRAPS keeps me crash free, and a happy camper. Since then, I've set the system back to the overclock speeds it was shipped to me with, and have been crash free for a few days now, with the system on 24/7 (What? I like to download things!)

For the TL;DR crowd:

PROS - Phenomenal Customer support
          - The computer came in very good packaging. No dings, dents, scratches, or even fingerprints.
           - All original manuals (sans Case) and extra wiring also came with the system.
           - Just LOOK at the computer pictures above! How can you not fall in love with that thing?

Questionable (?) - There was a $60 rebuild fee that may or may not have been avoided due to a "lost" email, which was later found. As you can see in the posts below, Alex is trying to bribe me with a free game. Ouch  Shows you how much DSO likes to take care of their customers! Told you! Phenomenal customer support! How can you go wrong?

- I've had a couple of crashes, and I have determined that FRAPS hates my system, which means that I have no complaints with the job DSO has done. I just need to figure out what FRAPS hates in my system so much.

CONS: None here, move along.

So far, overall rating of DSO: 10/10   --- I would definitely recommend friends / family to give DSO their business.
That's all for now!

Edited by Jeremiah.L - 17 Oct 2008 at 11:14am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 10:30am
Thank you for taking the time to write up the review.

I wanted to comment on the $60 re-build fee:

I fully understand the situation, but, it becomes very difficult for us to manage changes to an order via email. Mainly because, an email that is sent to support or sales, won't go to the person or team working on orders. It is nearly impossible for us to halt an order and make changes to it once it passes stage 1. The reason why is, once it's assigned to a build bin, the order is queued to our assembly team and it's built right away. The stage update emails are usually delayed for a short period. When the request came in to change the case, our technician had already built the system, including the water cooling system and we had to take the entire unit apart, re-stock the case, and re-build it again inside the new case and re-do the water cooling loop. That's all really. I am sorry about the misunderstanding about waiving the fee as well. If you still feel that you should not have to pay for the charge, give Jason a call and let him know, he will take care of you (1-866-817-8676 EXT 156).

Warmest Regards,
Alex
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeremiah.L Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 10:48am
Alex, I'm not THAT broken up by it. I don't know how fast your orders go through production (which is why I added the "It may or may not have been prevented").I WAS hoping to get that taken care of before DSO spent the time and energy building it in the wrong case.

So, yeah. that's all. I won't be wanting the fee refunded, and never intended on trying to get it refunded either.  You guys deserve to get paid for any extra work you do.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 2:36pm

I thank you for understanding Jeremiah.

For that, I would at least like to send you a gift of appreciation. How does a copy of Crysis: Warhead sound?

Cheers,
Alex
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeremiah.L Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 2:43pm
Whaaat? Oh no no no, that's completely unnecessary. You don't have to do that.

*googles Crysis: Warhead*

...what? I don't know what it is. Don't hang me please.

*glances over shoulder, half expecting to see a small swarm of angry PC gamers sharpening their pitchforks*

On a side note: Who's Jason? Is he the head honcho of DSO? Sales Department? Am I completely messing up the chain of command?

Edited by Jeremiah.L - 24 Sep 2008 at 2:45pm
Axel Daemon View Drop Down

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 3:08pm
Ah Crysis:Warhead is an expansion to the original Crysis which in turn Crysis is known for being the most graphic demanding game ever.

Max settings even with Triple SLI GTX 280 you're seeing an average of.... 59 fps or so lol.  (And this is without turning Anti aliasing on lol)

Edit: Actually I don't really know what the fps were.  But I can certainly say you're only getting around 30+ fps on a 30" monitor lol

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=609&pageid=11

Edited by Axel Daemon - 24 Sep 2008 at 3:11pm
"People believe in people who believe in others."
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeremiah.L Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 3:25pm
So I saw. In all honesty, Crysis is a joke of a game in my eyes (Even if it is a good game, but you have to really be full of yourself to make a game so hardcore that nothing but the Large Hadron Collider can run it butter smooth at max settings).

Of course, that doesn't mean I wouldn't play it :) It IS an awfully pretty game to look at, plus videos like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Iw98DCyp0

make me want to do stuff like that as well ^^
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 3:26pm
It's up to you Jeremiah.

Jason is the co-owner of Digital Storm.

Regards,
Alex
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeremiah.L Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 3:58pm
Nah, I wouldn't worry about it Alex. Thanks for the offer though.

Now, if you were offering a free Dead Space game... it's just too bad EA will most likely load it up with horrible DRM, a la Spore.

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 4:05pm
................... I just realized which brand Dead Space came from.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeremiah.L Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 4:15pm
I know Axel :(

I'm most likely gonna get it for my 360, because at least the 360 won't have SecuROM garbage all through it.

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 4:35pm
Is that information that may not be allowed to be posted on a public forum or you can endow us with what you know?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 4:48pm
No that information is for private eyes

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 10:47pm
Hrrrrm sounds fair enough!

And bwahaha "Suck U Rom."
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeremiah.L Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 1:38pm
Bump to the top! 
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeremiah.L Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 2:06pm
No Harley, only two. My specs are in the first post.

But I'll reiterate. One Velicraptor 300GB, one WD 500GB 7200 RPM.Ouch

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 4:18pm
-looks at the top- Is that the..... fan?...... It's.... tiny O_o;

Aside from that looks wicked.  I feel more and more fine with sticking with that case ahaha.

Edited by Axel Daemon - 26 Sep 2008 at 4:19pm
Lawdog View Drop Down

Quote Lawdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 4:27pm
Just curious Jeremiah but did you request the smaller fan on the top of the case??  If I'm not mistaken isn't there supposed to be a 230mm fan on top?

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 4:34pm
Yeah there's 3 220+mm fans one in the front, side, and on the top, that's why I'm wondering as to where it went lol.

Unless it had to be removed due to the radiator.

Edited by Axel Daemon - 26 Sep 2008 at 4:35pm
Lawdog View Drop Down

Quote Lawdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 4:38pm
That was my thinking as well but if that was the case why didn't they replace it with 2 120mm as there are mountings for two instead of just the one??
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 5:20pm
Ya I thought it had a small one in the front but I was wrong its got 3 big ones.

I'm with LD, why one fan on top?

but man the HAF looks even better then pic I have seen, it looks like a beast, wow, wow.

now its harder to wait for mine

Edited by DST4ME - 26 Sep 2008 at 5:20pm
Duke View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 8:13pm
Everybody, see this picture: http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/Adeamus/DSO%20Rig/IMG_1589.jpg

The one fan on top is his radiator's fan. And of course, radiator up there wont fit unless we remove the factory fan. So mystery of missing top 230mm fan closed.
EMAIL & MSN:
[email protected]
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 8:16pm
Man, i wish the HAF was out when i got a computer haha..i really like that case a lot...the Cosmos S is great...but its expensive compared to the HAF lol...
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
Rolet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Rolet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 8:33pm
Yeah, that is one sexy looking case.
x9700 @ 3.60 Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1200W PC Power & Cooling ESA
2 8800 Ultra OC
4GB 1800 OCZ
150g raptor (Raid 0), 1TB
Watercool CPU/Dual GPU
Creative XiFi Fatality
Vista Ultimate 64-bit
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 8:35pm
showing me these pics, I will not be able to contain myself and will go on a crazy shopping spree .

Wow love HAF, its all I thought it would be and more.

Thank you very much Duke for clearing that up boss
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 1:29am
Originally posted by Axel Daemon

-looks at the top- Is that the..... fan?...... It's.... tiny O_o;

Aside from that looks wicked.  I feel more and more fine with sticking with that case ahaha.

It's not that the radiator is tiny, but that friggin case is HUGE!!! WTFOMGZLOLAFKBBQ!!?!!!?! Big%20smile
Thought number one... that case is ginormous!!!!!
Thought number two... that graphics card is ginormous!

Are those big fans silent during operation? How quiet is that system? I suppose the power supply is the noisiest thing.
Lawdog View Drop Down

Quote Lawdog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 2:43am
Thanks for the clarification about the stock 230mm fan Duke.  I know it's possible to mount 2 - 120mm fans on the top when removing the stock fan.  Is that still possible with mounting the radiator the way it is or does the mounting of the radiator there not allow the install of both fans?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 2:48am
LD from what I understood, duke is saying that the radiator is getting in the way of putting in the second fan.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeremiah.L Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 5:09am
Sorry, fell asleep.

It's not exactly loud; It's about as loud as a small fan running next to you. Nothing to get bent out of shape over. I'm still trying to get used to the sound of the liquid sloshing around. It kinda freaks me out.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeremiah.L Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 9:46am
Updated the first post.

As an update on stability, I've had the system blue screen on me once (ERROR! "Modification of system code or critical data structure"). Google seems a bit vague on it, so I may have some funny RAM, or it isn't set right. If it goes BSOD again, I'll check the seating, if I can figure out how to get the cooling fan off of the RAM.

I've also had the system completely freeze on me out of the blue; as in, no response whatsoever. Had to force shut down by holding the power button down. I was actually away from the computer when this happened (Was watching Oz with the wife). Both times, there was nothing going on except an open web browser. If this happens again, I will be calling support on it.

Performance wise, I am blown away. Everything runs like Hell on Wheels. The Velociraptor is incredible, reaching writing speeds of 150mb/sec (If Window's Copying calculations are to be trusted), and gaming is a true joy.

I have on it at the moment -- the Saga of Ryzom / Warhammer Online / Crysis / S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky / The Witcher... all run extremely well except S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Crysis. Crysis is far more playable though, motion blur does wonders for low FPS.
In the end on gaming, I am going to take DST4ME's advice and nab another GTX280 near the end of the year. By then my bank account can take another beating.

Edited by Jeremiah.L - 28 Sep 2008 at 5:35am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 4:56pm
write down the stop error next time
Rolet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Rolet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 7:33pm
I've had that random freeze as well. I think it may be some bugs with the nividia drivers.
x9700 @ 3.60 Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1200W PC Power & Cooling ESA
2 8800 Ultra OC
4GB 1800 OCZ
150g raptor (Raid 0), 1TB
Watercool CPU/Dual GPU
Creative XiFi Fatality
Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeremiah.L Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 5:34am
DST4Me, the Stop error was written in my previous posts. I'll go ahead and bold it for you.

I had the system keep freezing on me about an hour into operation, so I had to do something about the OC speeds, since I cant think of anything else that would cause my system to lock up like that.

I don't know how to mess with overclocking CPUs much, but I did reduce the multiplier from 8 to 7, and the system hasn't locked up on me since I did that. Dropped the speed down about 400Mhz, but I can cope with that til I talk to tech support on monday.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Jeremiah.L - 28 Sep 2008 at 5:38am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 5:38am
I was looking for the code its numbers and letters, something like this:

0x00000000

was it 0x00000109 by any chance?

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Sep 2008 at 5:39am
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeremiah.L Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 5:39am
Oh okay, sorry. I'll write that down if it BSODs on me again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>