FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Krypton: My Review

Post Date: 2014-10-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ghg1976 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ghg1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Krypton: My Review
    Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 9:44am
Hey all -

So a few day ago I posted how I had just ordered and was awaiting my new krypton and yesterday it arrived!

My specs are:

i7 4810mq cpu
8 Gigs 1600 MHZ Memory
17.3" screen
GTX 870m 6gb gpu/graphics card
120 gb ssd
750 gb (7200 RPM) hdd
Intel a/c dual band wifi
windows 8.1

Let me preface this all by saying I had a crumby old Dell Inspiron - core 2 duo that could barely run Minecraft, well it's been almost 10 years and after a bit of saving and lots of research, I decided to go with Digital Storm. I'm glad I did.

When the box arrived I was impressed by it's size and the packaging - opening it confirmed what I had heard. The guys at DS did a stellar job of keeping my laptop protected in transit (the sleeve thing is very cool).

As you can tell my photography skills are a little lacking, but that box on top of the laptop contained a very nice DS binder complete with driver discs, warranty info, some tech support docs, and of course the certificate of ownership.

The first thing I noticed was the power supply - that brick is massive! Lol. While this might bother some people, I don't mind. I didn't buy this for it's portability. I got it as a desktop replacement (mainly because I like to game from bed - yes, I'm that lazy). If a beefier p/s means faster gaming - I'm all for it.

Removing the laptop was easy enough and it looked gorgeous. All the shiny you see is even more protective plastic to keep it looking nice.

After removing the plastic layer, I turned this baby on. The keys, and "feel" of it felt good and although I'd heard about the benefits of SSD drives - I never understood the sheer wow of them till now. This thing is lightning fast when it boots or runs apps.

Here's one more pic of the side ports - usb 2/3, headphone jack, audio, (on the other side) blu-ray/dvd/cdrw, what you might expect.

Everything worked fine except that my larger drive wasn't showing up in windows - I called tech support and got a call back in 5 mins. (Yet another reason I chose DS - they actually care).

Mike was able to diagnose the problem quickly and within a couple of minutes the second drive showed up and worked perfectly.

So I can say from first hand experience - the tech support is awesome.

Some small things I noticed were there was no fancy ds logo on the laptop case - like I've see in other builds here - but honestly I don't mind.

And for some reason some online diagnostic websites read my gpu as only having 3gb - however when I run the direct x diagnostic on my computer it reads as having 10gb of memory! Lol - I'm not sure how it all breaks down or why - but hey, it's run my first two installed games seamlessly, (Lord of the rings online, Team Fortress 2). I'll be putting it through the paces with more intensive games soon.

So far I'm a very happy customer and I'd tell anyone who's looking to get a killer gaming laptop at an affordable price - you can't go wrong with Digital Storm.

I'll update my review in a few months - to give you all a perspective on longevity - till then cheers!
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 10:02am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 10:49am
Very nice and we love pictures.  StrongAwesome

Enjoy. Big%20Smile
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 10:55am
Glad your Krypton experience has been mostly positive so far.  Would love to see the update with how you like its gaming ability.

Some small things I noticed were there was no fancy ds logo on the laptop case - like I've see in other builds here - but honestly I don't mind.

My box with the binder and T-Shirt had a DS sticker that I had to apply myself.  Did you get one in the box?

I'm not that happy with it as it was a little torn and doesn't look right.  It would be nice if DS provided some stickers on the website that we could just order, but I'd definitely want to see what they were first.
Tor View Drop Down

Quote Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 3:58pm
Awesome
Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 7:42pm
Nice! :D
ghg1976 View Drop Down

Quote ghg1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 1:25pm
Hey all,

It's been a few days and I mentioned I would let you know how the krypton runs higher end games.

The long and short of it: Amazingly!

So I bought Crysis & Crysis:Warhead on Steam, mainly because I just wanted to run something I knew would use my gpu's resources.

I can report that it ran both games on the max: "Very High" settings at a constant 40 FPS. Only once or twice (for barely a nanosecond) did I notice any slow down (usually during a very effects intense sequence) but like I said it almost never happened - the game ran really smoothly!

I also mentioned earlier - not understanding why my gpu diagnostics kept telling me different amounts of memory on my graphics card.

Well to recap I bought the 870m 6gb gtx card - after doing a few more geforce diagnostics I realized the card has been over clocked to run at 8gb! (though some diagnostics even read 10gb of usable gpu memory)

I can only surmise DS did this for me, and that is really, really awesome of them - I haven't noticed any heat problems at all by the way and the fans are virtually silent.

I love this laptop, I'm not getting much sleep because Im always playing on it - but yeah, if you have any doubts - don't worry this thing can handle your games - no problem.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 2:01pm
Hi ghg1976.... overclocking won't increase you cards vram. What program are you using to monitor it?

Windows, especially win 8 and games, can be wrong in memory reporting. Its easy to confuse, because of the way it's reported, video memory used and dedicated video memory .

Try using MSI AFTERBURNER or GPU-Z to monitor your vram. You can display it to screen or save as a file.

Enjoy.
ghg1976 View Drop Down

Quote ghg1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 2:35pm
Hi bprat,

Thanks for letting me know - it is very confusing. I tried gpu-z like u suggested - yeah it does read at 6gb. Still very happy with it though. :)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 2:50pm
My pleasure.     We've all been there, driving ourselves nuts trying to figure this all out.   

Thanks for your updates. Love that laptop.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 12:12am
Oh look, it's another happy Krypton owner here on the forums...  Thanks to reviews like these, I already know which laptop I'm getting when the time comes!

Great review and followup.  Big%20Smile
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Snaike

...Thanks to reviews like these, I already know which laptop I'm getting when the time comes!...

So that time is coming quite soon now...right?  Evil
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 12:28am
Originally posted by Roykirk

...Thanks to reviews like these, I already know which laptop I'm getting when the time comes!...

"She who must be obeyed" is still a little sore from Gabe's Summer Sale.  "Another damn computer" in the house is still a few "honey-do"s away.  Hahaha 
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 5:01am

Originally posted by Roykirk

"She who must be obeyed" is still a little sore from Gabe's Summer Sale.  "Another damn computer" in the house is still a few "honey-do"s away.  Hahaha 

I'm still trying to convince mine to let me buy a new pc for Christmas or next summer
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
joguco2012 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote joguco2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 4:22pm
Nice review and pics!!

Congrats and enjoy as a pro!!!   
Kengee View Drop Down

Quote Kengee Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 4:20pm
Nice review and good news. Your and Roykirk's reviews make me glad I chose DS for my new laptop. Just ordered a Krypton with the new GTX980M and two 512SSDs. Can't wait to get it. Currently using an Alienware 17 with extreme processor and duel GTX260M. Constantly overheating and crashing even with a fan underneath.

Only disappointing thing I can say about DS is their configuration set up on their site no longer opts for a msata drive and no options for RAID configs.

Their customer service is awesome though. Realized after I ordered that the system would run even faster going RAID 0 so I called and they added it to the build as we spoke.

I'll giver updates once I receive it.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 6:29pm
That's unfortunate about the mSATA.  I thought that it was just a stocking issue, but I haven't seen it available since a few days after I ordered mine in April, so not sure what's up.  It's a definite plus as it leaves you with room for two more hard drives instead of one.

Let us know your thoughts on the Krypton once you get yours.  More reviews will definitely help others with their decision-making as I'm sure we each have slightly different needs and it's good for others to look at reviews that match their own needs.
Kengee View Drop Down

Quote Kengee Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 6:58pm
Yeah, I wanted the msata for the operating system; that would leave my to primaries for programs. I didn't think to ask customer service about it earlier. I may call and ask about it tomorrow. My systems on a quick build so it may be to late to change it.
 Post Reply Post Reply