FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How does this 3d modelling configuration look?

Post Date: 2012-02-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Maximilian View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maximilian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: How does this 3d modelling configuration look?
    Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 3:21pm
Hello DS!

1. Budget: 3500-5000  (For tower and display)

2. Expectations: A extremely well engineered and optimized 3d modeling rig

3. Usage: 3d Modeling / Photoshop / Web browsing

4. VERY dusty environment (why I prefer ft02)  

The biggest question fer me because it dictates almost everything is if I should use the i7 (3930k) or dual Xeon (e5645.) I spent hours looking into this on forums/ CG sites/ benchmarks and have found no conclusive answer for myself.   I have been trying to learn as much as I can to make the best component choices but I am open to all suggestions! :)   

I have been speaking with Lars and we have come up with this configuration,  I know that this setup would be sufficient but doesn't hurt to  hear some opinions.   Lars has been extremely helpful but he is a busy man so I would like to have my options very narrowed down before I contact him again so I do not waste anyone's time.

Chassis Model:
Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Assassin Edition

Exterior Finish: Standard Factory Finish

Trim Accents: Standard Factory Finish

Processor:  Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79

System Memory:  16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Dominator GT with DHX

Power Supply: ? (May add RAM and another GPU)

Expansion Bay: No Thanks

Hard Drive 1:  Intel 510 (710?)

Hard Drive 2: Caviar Black 1tb

Set 1 Raid Options: No Thanks

Optical Drive: DVD Player/DVD Writer

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Unless you feel Killer 2100 is worth it)

Video Card: 1x EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB

Add-on Card: No Thanks

Sound Card: None (Possibly Lynx16 EAS/EBU)

Extreme Cooling:  Noctuna or H20: Stage 2: Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooler

Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Does this swap out the 3 large fans at the bottom or just the top exhaust fan?)

Overclocking:
Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz

Video Boost: If you recommend

OS Boost: Removal of as much as possible

Windows OS: ?

Thanks in advance!
-Maximilian

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall;" id="jsProxy" ="">

Edited by Maximilian - 15 Feb 2012 at 3:21pm
JStones View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote JStones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 1:03am
DS still has not updated their workstation configurations to use new hardware. Maybe they're waiting for the full line of sandy bridge xeons but they haven't updated the platform using the consumer chips.

I work in maya professionally for feature films and have used a ton of different hardware. I am currently building my own now (moved to New Zealand) and don't want to pay shipping for ds to build it. I have used maya, lightwave, motion builder, zbrush, photoshop professionally.

Comp parts are basically double the price here and I have amazing parts for less than your 5k budget ceiling.

Ill explain my decisions/opinions below based on 6 years in the industry.

Something is wrong with the configurator right now but the total comes out to around 3000 without graphics card - explained below

I left the case you chose. People may come on and tell you to get the hafx case but if you are worried about dust it may not be the best decision. We'll get to cooling below.

My new build has a 3930k cpu and its FAST. Mine isn't even over clocked yet.

Pro motherboard cause DS asks for it for stage 2 oc

32 gig ram - You'll be happy you did. Just get the ds certified 1600mhz as you won't notice the 2000mhz difference at all.

corsair 1050hx power supply. You've got a lotta hardware in there. While this is more than necessary, psu's lose efficiency over time and I like to have as much headroom as possible for a 5 year computer life if needed.

240 gig intel 520 ssd. New ssd line from intel that is getting good reviews and is FAST.
I would get 240 with your budget and have the piece of mind that you shouldn't run out of room. Only put your programs on here. When you use photoshop tell it to use your 2nd hd for the scratch disk.

2tb caviar black for 2nd hard drive for your data.

Graphic Card - Geforce cards don't cut it anymore for workstation apps. Nvidia has crippled the opengl drivers for them and they don't perform like they should. With your budget get a Quadro. Don't go AMD Firepro as their drivers are notoriously unstable.

This is the Quadro I am getting. Tell DS to use either this card instead of a geforce -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133324

Now this card runs hot, but it was designed that way. I know people with this card and they love it. The only other card I would recommend is the quadro 5000 but its a bit out of your budget. Also no modeling app I know of will utilize sli so unless you need to run more than two monitors stick with one card.

Depending on what program you use, you can check the website for what driver they recommend for optimal performance. I am going to try the Autodesk recommended driver for maya and the newest nvidia driver and see which one works best for my needs.

Either the noctua or h100 cooling solutions will be fine. DS seems to prefer the h100. People are on both sides of the fence on this, but I would get the h100 over the 80.

Zalmann fans are really loud. Stick with normal fans and upgrade them you need more performance, fans are super easy to replace.

Unless you have a high quality sound system or need the extra audio control don't bother with a sound card.

Get stage 2 oc on processor, but in the notes tell them NOT to go over 1.4, they will know what you are talking about.

Dont oc the video card.

Don't get os boost, windows is not going to bog down your system at all and you may find that you want to use a feature that they have turned off.

Get Win7 pro 64 bit.

Good luck

Edited by JStones - 16 Feb 2012 at 1:04am

Quote Maximilian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 4:49pm
Thanks J!

Very helpful post.  regarding the quadro 4000 2g vs gtx580 3g I am still a bit unsure but after alot of reading I came to the conclusion that for the purposes of modeling not rendering (quadro has fast render time as i understand)  that the gtx580 is actually superior.   What is your experience with this?  I plan to use only two displays, a large hdtv and a smaller led monitor is the plan as of now.

Edited by Maximilian - 17 Feb 2012 at 4:54pm
JStones View Drop Down

Quote JStones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 8:45pm
In terms of raw pixel pushing power, yes, the 580 is more powerful hardware wise.  The difference is nvidia does not spend the time to develop their opengl drivers for the geforce cards anymore.  Let me try to break it down

Geforce cards:  Developed for gaming.  Not many games use opengl (stands for open graphics language) in their engines anymore, they use directx.  Since this is a gaming card nvidia does not spend the time and money to develop opengl drivers for their new gaming hardware.  In the past (I think it was the 200 series) they were still actively developing great opengl drivers for geforce cards but with recent versions they just give it the ability to run opengl without spending the time to make it run it fast.  This makes sense from a business perspective.  Drivers are what make the hardware able to utilize its full potential.

Quadro cards:  Modeling apps still use opengl to display polygons.  This makes sense as it is open source and hence is free unlike direct x.  Some do have the ability to use direct x shaders for game development, but that is not going to help with anything but texturing for games. 

Nvidia develops strong, fast opengl drivers for Quadro cards.  The reason quadros are more expensive is because they don't sell as many of them as geforce cards, so to make it worthwhile to them, they are have to charge more per card than with geforce.  You also will get much better technical support with a quadro.

Now, the question is. what level of use are you going to be doing.  You have a high budget but if you are a hobbyist modeler, you can certainly get by with a geforce 580.  I had a 480 in my old personal machine and could still do quality work.

I just finished up my new machine here today using a quadro 4000 and it is much much faster in maya than my older machine.  The whole machine is a massive upgrade as well but I do not regret the quadro at all.  The old machine was a first gen i7930 with 12 gigs of ram and a geforce 480.  Now I have a 3930k, 32gig ram, and a quadro 4000.  I was doing some testing and I brought out an old model which was about 500,000 polygons.  I then did a catmull clark subd operation (which I remember choked my last system) and I was spinning around it and sculpting it with little lag.  I am going to play around with different drivers to get even better performance but it already flies.

To sum it up, with your budget I would get the quadro if you are serious about modeling.  There is a reason no big studios use geforce cards.  They spend a lot of money testing hardware and all come to the conclusion that quadro is the way to go...

Quote Maximilian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 4:14pm
"To sum it up, with your budget I would get the quadro if you are serious about modeling. There is a reason no big studios use geforce cards. They spend a lot of money testing hardware and all come to the conclusion that quadro is the way to go..."

Very helpful, thank you!

You mentioned the SB xeons, any idea when they are supposed to be released?/ is it worth waiting?
JStones View Drop Down

Quote JStones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 11:06pm
I don't know when they are going to come out. I wouldn't worry about it though. Two of them (which is really the best reason to get xeon in a desktop) would put you over budget. You'd probably be looking at a 6-8k machine at that point depending on which ones you chose.

A 3930k is going to be plenty fast, especially so after ds over clocks it. Mine isn't oc'd and its plenty fast enough.   I don't have the best air cooler (not the same availability in new zealand as in the states) so I won't be able to push it too far but I may give 4.1 or 4.2 a go. I don't remember what model it is but its not as beefy as the a70 or noctuas.

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 5:24am
Hi JStones,

Thanks for sharing your information with this build. If you don't have a cooler that is at least as good as the A70 I think you should upgrade to the Corsair H100. Especially if you are thinking about OCing. Is the H100 available to you?

Frank
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 5:44am
FYI....Just noticed that DS doesn't list the A70 in configs.  The A50 has replaced as the default cooler, even in the ODE 1.

Not sure if temporary or the start of transition to "H" .
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 9:16am
Hi bprat22,

Good catch on the A70. First they did away with the Noctua NH-12 series of coolers and replaced them with the A-70. The A-70 didn't cool any better and was nosier. Now they are replacing the A-70 with the A-50, which is about two step backwards. No one is going to buy an A-50. When the Noctua NH-D14 is out of stock we could see that disappear also. DS seems to be dead set on selling the Hydro series of coolers.

Frank
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 1:27pm
Yep, the trend is obvious.   Glad I got my A70 when I did.     On the plus side, configure help we give will be easier. Just plug in the H80/100's. No explaining.
JStones View Drop Down

Quote JStones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 4:13pm
I think Ill be fine with my cooler and a mild overclock.  Its roughly the same size as the a70 but doesnt cool quite as well as it does, but only by avg 2 deg diff.  It also stays really cool in my home office in windy wellington all year round.
 Post Reply Post Reply