Dreadnought: My Jaw Dropping System Reviewed

Post Date: 2011-10-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sneaky George W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sneaky George W Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Dreadnought: My Jaw Dropping System Reviewed
    Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 11:05am
This review has been a long time coming. I ordered my system in back in May but waited until I really got to know the system and have some experience with it before posting a review.

The specifications:
Chassis: 942 HAF X
Trim Accents: Paint Chassis Vents and Grills (Blue)
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System 1x(120GB Intel SSD 510 Series)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW(DVD Writer 24x / CD Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Networ Port
Video Cards: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3
H20 Tube Color: White Tubing (UV Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis with LED Performance Fans (Blue)
Internal Lighting: UV
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 4.0 and 4.5GHz
Windows OS: Windows 7 Home Premium
MISC: add blue led 200mm fan on front
MISC: add extra blue internal light

I ordered my system on 4/30/2011 (a Saturday). After a few problems with getting DSO my money (stupid bank, NOT DSO's fault) it was started on May third. While being built I was frequently emailed and contacted by DSO regarding my system. I was notified that the game I had ordered wasn't available nor was the antivirus software. I was refunded for these and they did not delay my system.

Build Time
Stage 1: 5/03
Stage 2: 5/04
Stage 3: 5/04
Stage 4: 5/06
Stage 5: 5/09
Stage 6: 5/13
Stage 7: 5/13

After eagerly stalking it journey across the country (FedEx seamed to move at a glacial pace with such an awesome piece of hardware) it arrived on 5/19. Since FedEx couldn't deliver at my house I had to pick up my new beast and load her into the car (she barely fit). Hauling that 70lb box up the stairs was a challenge too!

Unboxing the system was a blast. It was neatly and professionally packaged with all the extra components, sweet t-shirt and system binder in neat boxes. The system its self was nestled nicely in the stout box.

Review
My system is mind-blowingly awesome! It is impossible to overstate the craftsmanship and power are in this system. DSO did a heck of a job building it, the cable management on the back is a work of art, and the whole system just looks AMAZING! In terms of performance the only things that even makes her sweat are benchmarks; real life applications and games are buttery smooth and more pretty than I could have imagined.

The system has been remarkably stable, I had a weird problem getting her to boot about a month ago but after calling DSO and talking to their VERY helpful, friendly and knowledgeable technician the issue was resolved. At the time DSO was very busy but the tech was willing to help me over the weekend from his home. I CANT EXPRESS HOW AWESOME IT IS TO KNOW A COMPANY CARES!

With regards to my build, there are a few small things I would change now. I would have purchased a 320 series SSD instead of a 510. maybe also got a WD 1TB drive. The main thing i would have changed is using standard 570's instead of EVGA ones. the main reason for this is for compatibility with water blocks.
Since receiving the system I have done some modifications to it, added hard drives ect (now have a 510, 320 and 1TB WD). The most major change was when i tried to watercool the GPU's. after ordering all the components i discovered whilst trying to mount a water block that the EVGA cards dont match the standard NVIDIA ones and so the water block wouldn't fit. since I couldn't return the blocks i ended up having a machine shop cut into the blocks so they would fit and resealing the hole. All of this was my own fault and I should have checked before ordering the system or better yet just have DSO do it. anyway, now my system is running great and cooler than ever.

PICTURES!
all of these were taken when I first got the system, so with out my modifications.

Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 11:22am
Congrats! Awesome

Thanks for posting the info about the EVGA cards, it might save someone who is considering the same thing. Big%20Smile

Also, the blue paint on the 942's grills looks surprisingly awesome, definitely goes well with your lighting setup.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 11:33am

Awesome! Thank you for taking the time to post your review. AwesomeBig%20Smile

Groupie
Groupie

Quote sneaky George W Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 11:34am
thanks! i think it turned out nice... oh, i forgot to add in my review: i dubbed my system Saphira. if anyone gets that reference with out googling it, it would make my day!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 1:31pm
Awesome dragon....I mean computer.Big%20Smile

Paint job is real nice.Awesome
FR3SHM3AT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote FR3SHM3AT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 2:01pm
Sexy Machine !!

Congrats !!

Your one lucky gamer.

Looks Like Mine lol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PS.  8 months later  The F.A.N.  MAKER II   Still Kicking Ass !! 
        No IssuesStrong

RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 4:30pm
very nice!
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sneaky George W Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 11:23am
One thing i forgot to add in my review, i wish DSO had included a page or two in the binder about benchmark scores. Im pretty sure that they run benchmarks on the system before it ships, it just would be nice to have a page in the binder with those recorded.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by sneaky George W

One thing i forgot to add in my review, i wish DSO had included a page or two in the binder about benchmark scores. Im pretty sure that they run benchmarks on the system before it ships, it just would be nice to have a page in the binder with those recorded.

That's a great idea! I'll share that with the team. In the mean time, feel free to email me directly and I can forward you the testing screen-shots which have a few benchmark results.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by sneaky George W

I second this! Glad to see you agree Alex, this would definitely be a nice touch.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sneaky George W Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 1:21am
glad to be of help
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 3:06am
Wow you both made that sucker blue, that looks great

you like those blue 200mm led fans
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sneaky George W Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 1:17pm
DST,
it was important to me that the computer matched my keyboard! (lol) and those 200mm fans are mighty pretty, i miss them. i removed them when i installed the tripple rad in my case, i kinda wish i would have stuck it out back... oh well, it still looks awesome!
Charlestp13 View Drop Down

Quote Charlestp13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 2:51pm
Look at those sexy beasts ! Make me wanna order another one already ! Now... DST, by any chance you also have great knowledge about organs selling? I need another 3k fast !
 Post Reply Post Reply