FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help Buying New Battery Backup

Post Date: 2011-06-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lsc2010 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lsc2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help Buying New Battery Backup
    Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 4:25pm
Hello,

First off, I hope I'm posting this in the right forum!

I purchased a DS computer earlier this year and am now in need of a new battery backup. Unfortunately, I feel unsure as to how to select the appropriate battery backup to support the system and other devices I would be plugging into the battery backup (monitor, printer, speakers, cable modem, phone).

From searching, I see that the computer's power supply is noted when choosing a battery backup - but the rest of what I've read leaves me, simply put, confused. My computer's power supply is the 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 4:23am
To get a quality backup for that pc alone, you gonna need a 20 amp circut with a 20 amp socket in the wall (different then normal socket and regular plugs will not fit)

Now your psu has great protection itself, so for that its not really needed.

but for the pc and monitor and etc you looking at something like this:

APC Smart-UPS 2200VA LCD 120V

your printer apc does not recommend connecting to the ups.

this one can handle 1900w while the next one down can do only 1000w.
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 2:52pm
I am going to resurrect this:

In my house we have surge protector units on the major electronic hubs (basically my pc room and the downstairs TV room).  These are the APC or Belkin $30ish units with like 10 plugs.  Mainly use these for addition protection but really as a lot more plugs to use.

I also had a whole house surge protector installed by an electrician last fall.  I did this mainly to add a 1st line defense to my house.  I also got a rebate on the service and it helps with the house insurance.

For the most part, I was under the impression that my PC is protected from power outage damage....mostly.  The power lines are underground and used to never go out, but lately PECO has had an issue with power in my area and we have had several outages  (like about 8-9) in the past 3 months.  For the most part I am gaming or doing my fantasy football and so its not like I lost hours of work time.

I would need maybe 5-10 min to shut everything down without scrambling around like a chicken with no head.  Even that is a luxury.

So my question is......would a UPS help my PSU to live longer?  Thats my main reason to get one is to have that protection to be able to shut down correctly.  Since I have dropped considerable cash into this PC over the last 1.5 years.....I'd like it to live a while.  I am still under DS warranty but I do not think they cover "Acts of God", nor would I stoop to trick them if they did not.

I have a 1000W corsair power supply, and only would be adding the PC and monitor (so i can see what i am doing) to the UPS, and would only need 10 min max.  I have read that you need at least your watt max, but I would assume the correct way is to get a meter and record what the items draw and get +10-15% over that.

But what ballpark of a UPS size are we talking here , and thats even IF I need this thing.  again...the sudden loss of power is annoying when gaming, but if no damage is being done to the system, I can live with the occasional outage.  what I want to avoid is damage to my PC from these random and now recent, outages.

Thanks
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 3:09pm
You know, sometimes you search and search and search for answers on the interweb and you get zip zot nadda.  So you ask a question to those that know, and then after you spend a few min writing said question...........you click one more link and you get all the damn answers you wanted.

APC's website has a configuration calculator that can give you an idea of what you need.

http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm

I still want to know if these things are really going to help protect the PC or are they just a "look at what I have and yet really does nothing to help me but lets me brag a lot" item.

I do not need to brag, I just want to protect the investment in PC parts I have made.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:43pm
As I mentioned your psu has good protections itself.

If you look at your corsair's specs you will see:

Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection and Short Circuit Protection provide maximum component safety

most good psus can protect themselves and its best if you plug them directly to the wall.

So if the psu dies in a surge, its not an act of god that killed it, act of god is like a tree falling on it, and you would be right that is not covered, however a power surge is not an act of god, its an act of pepco, and the psu is suppose to protect itself, so its covered by the manufacturer, which is why I stress manufacturer warranty that surpass DS warranty for the psu.

but having an ups won't hurt, its good to have time to shut things down properly.

Edited by DST4ME - 15 Jul 2011 at 2:34pm
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 10:23am
Well that puts things in a better light.  Some stuff to think about.....thanks
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 2:34pm
My pleasure and good luck
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 11:20am
So I used the Kill-o-watt I have and went to town figuring out what the power draw was on my pc equipment.

Monitor, PC, modem/router, and speakers, plus a generous upwards rounding gets me to about 525 watts. The cpu is a i7 920, vid card is a 6970, and i have a 160gb ssd and 1TB hdd. that last line was for basic reference.

Monitor is a LG 22" widescreen, average monitor.

I added like 20% to the max readings I got just to give head room incase I went crazy one day and went crossfire. So the 1000w psu I have is like overkill (AWESOME!....ha!) and if I were to buy a ups, it would be a 1000v/600w or 1350v/810w. the larger would again be fore growth or possibly my wife's stuff.

Yeah, basically I sort of type these questions, and while you all are answering, i sort of go ahead and get my own data and then compare. strange I know.

Overall, there are two reasons for this discussion:

1. The local power company is dropping the ball lately on the power grid. what used to be no power drops, is not 2-3 a month and they have no answer to how to fix it or when. As stated by DST, the hardware is fine with the outages plus I have a house surge protector. The UPS would just help for correct shutdown.

2. The wife is essentially taking over her company one dept at a time and may need to create a home office soon. If so, she can't have her laptop just conk out. obviously there is a battery on her laptop and so she has basically a back up there, but we may add the extra support/security to the office.

I am sure no one cares but, hey, now you can see the method to my madness. and yes I talk like this in real life, but I have friend mainly because I make one hell of a good steak....

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 4:14pm
Besure to put the pc under full stress (both cpu/gpus) and then check your power draw.
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 2:29am
yeah, I basically ran eset, spysweeper, started 2-3 games, itunes, started a video, and then read the wattage.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 5:46am
Thats not gonna do it. those are not heavy on the cpu and gpu, maybe you got the gpu.

Do this, down load fah tracker from below, I have it all set:

Fah tracker for testing

Do not run anything else other then av and etc that is suppose to run in the background, fah puts a heavy load on the cpu and gpus so you don't want to be running anything else on them.

Disable sli in the nvidia control panel first.

just download it, unzip it to a a folder, once done, open that folder and you should see another folder in it called "fah tracker v2" open that folder and then click on "FAH GPU Tracker V2.exe"

Now the fah tracker will open, do this:

once all the clients you can have all turn green, then check and see what your pull is.

for those of checking for temps, after the client goes green let it run for 30 minutes and see what your temps are.

remember smp will stress the cpu and the gpu clients will stress the gpus, so check the temps accordingly.

if you have 2 gpus, you need to run 2 gpu clients, for this you need to have sli disabled, and connect another dvi cable to the second card, or the second card won't be detected.

ATI cards can't fold, so we can't test ati gpus with this.

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Jul 2011 at 1:19pm
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 12:17pm
Alrighty, I'll test all this later in the week.

Strange that opening everything I use at once doesn't cut it as load.
Man this PC I have is a lot more solid than I thought.
lukexcom View Drop Down

Quote lukexcom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 9:50am
I would recommend that whatever UPS unit you buy, it can output power as a pure sine wave (also sometimes listed as a true sine wave). Many cheaper devices only produce what's marketed as a "simulated sine wave", which can be a modified, square, stepped, or approximated sine wave.

Although historically most decent PC PSUs are fairly robust and can handle most types of simulated sine wave outputs, it's all of the other peripherals like monitors, printers, or even Plasma/LCD TVs (there have been horror stories about those and non-pure sine wave outputting UPSes) I'd be concerned about.

The APC unit DST4ME listed is a very good one, it's a business-grade unit. I can vouch for APC, we have their Smart-UPS and Symmetra (a 10-year-old 16kVA unit a new 40kVA unit) products in use where I work.

Edited by lukexcom - 18 Jul 2011 at 9:53am
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 3:12pm
Understood.

There is a lot to sift through about "pure" and "simulated" sine waves when talking about ups devices.  Some people claim it is a must have, but then others claim that there is no such thing as "pure" sine there is just "sine waves"...period.

Overall, the people here have given me enough info to weigh the pros vs the cons.  At this point the main reason for getting the ups is to have 5 min to properly shutdown the PC when the power goes out.  Nothing fancy, nothing so expensive and elaborate I could run NASA with it, just a very solid system that fits my equipment, protects my investment, and works.

Hell, I may not even need a ups as these outages are very rare.  The reason this even came about is that they used to not even exist so 2-3 a year is 2-3 more than we ever had in 6 years.  So yes, I am overreacting and spending energy figuring stuff out, but I usually do all this prior to just blowing cash for the sake of just blowing cash.

Thanks again dudes, the advice is much appreciated as usual.  Separating the facts from the fiction is just a long process at times.  Big%20Smile
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 3:30pm
Let me know what your power draw is with the fah app. I'd love to know.
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Let me know what your power draw is with the fah app. I'd love to know.

Ok.  Give me a few days.  Work is a bit weird at the moment and my wife has signed me up to help move her pal to the girl's new house....in 99 degree heat/humidity, on sat.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2011 at 5:32pm
Take your time, whenever you have a chance is fine, and I appreciate it.
hotshot146 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hotshot146 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 8:55pm
You dont need to get a pure sine wave ups. For your needs it will be a throw away your money. Your psu on your pc will convert the power and could change the sine wave after the ups.

Edited by hotshot146 - 22 Jul 2011 at 8:56pm
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 9:26am
so I tried to run the Fah GPU Tracker but I ran into some issues.

Does it only work for Nvidia cards? because it would not auto detect my card. I have a HIS HD 6970. I did find that the settings to use for that I believe are ati 700 or 800. also, I only have 1 card so do i set it at 1 gpu3?

Either way I could not get a green go light as in your instructions, and almost all the options to start or stop a client were greyed out.

I tried to find out what was going on but the program kept saying that my video card was unsupported and that the drivers were out of date....yet I have the 11.6 ones from the amd site and that is the newest set they will hand me.

So...I could not give you a valid wattage today.

If you want to estimate here is what I have:

Its a Haf 932 case
i7 920 at 3.65 ghz
1 series 320 160gb ssd
1 WD non-caviar black 1TB HDD
1 his iceq 6970 (and for a card that is supposed to be cold when running it seems warmer than the hd 5850 I had)
1000 watt corsair psu
a regular cd burner
a noctua d12 cpu cooler
a creative titanium or whatever soundcard.

i run eset av and webroot spysweeper. i have just a few other programs on my pc.

I am a little under the weather today and at home so if this mesage is not sounding correctly, well i am blaming the medicine.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 3:12pm
Ah unfortunalty ati cards can't fold so they won't work.

but you can run the smp client on your cpu that will tax that.

but you will need to tax the gpus with 3dmark or kombustor if you have afterburner.

MSI Afterburner
 Post Reply Post Reply