FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First Digital Storm Computer

Post Date: 2011-06-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
newjiong View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote newjiong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: First Digital Storm Computer
    Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 10:30am
Please just suggest a good monitor for me, because my old one is pretty bad. I would buy a new monitor to match the computer that you guys suggested.

Hey guys, I'm looking for suggestions on a new computer. My old one is hardly doing the stuff I want now.

I want a computer that is good with online games like vindictus, dragon nest and etc. I also want my computer to run games smoothly with high graphics setting.

Please keep in mind that I have no idea what's good and what kind of components I need. I just want a computer to last me 4 years through college with the gaming capability.

Also, I have no idea what overclocking is all about, I'm not educated on that stuff, so if you suggest a pc that does overclock, please give me a guide how to control it nicely.

Thanks for reading

Here are the specifics:

Budget:
[1500-2000]
[2000-2500]

(Can I have 2 different setups and have someone explain the main differences to me?)

Expectations:
[Able to play games with high graphics at a good frame rate, I will be playing online games also.]

Usage:
[Gaming, college]

Special Needs:
[I want the sli ability if possible]

Please just suggest a good monitor for me, because my old one is pretty bad. I would buy a new monitor to match the computer that you guys suggested.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 11:13am
Monitor (wait and buy it when its on sale):

Dell UltraSharp U2311H 23

system to run it:

Here you go Ticket# 569110 --- $2,451(To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Corsair A70 Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Ask DS specifically for this fan to be added to the top, so you endup with 4 x 200mm fans:

haf 200mm non led fan

this has everything, all you do if you need it, drop a second 570 in it.

you can't really do anything to this system to give it more power that will be noticed.

variations would basically be this build without ssd maybe to have lower cost, but I would not change this build.

ocing is when you take a speed of something and make it faster, for example imagine if you could think 10 times faster then you do now, that is kinda what ocing a cpu is, you take it and over clock its setting so that it runs faster, when done correctly its very safe and just fine (done by DS), when not done right its very harmful (your friends that thinks he knows how to oc, but he really does not).

ocing the cpu is nothing but settings in the bios, those settings are saved by DS to a profile in the bios, so that you can enable or disable oc easily.

pc comes oced, to disable:

just go to bios and choose the option to set bios to default settings, once you chose this save and reboot, upon reboot, oc is no longer there and pc is running at stock speeds.

to re enable oc:

go back to bios, load profile 1, save and exit and reboot, now your oc is back.

Edited by DST4ME - 20 Jun 2011 at 11:18am
newjiong View Drop Down

Quote newjiong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 11:52am
Thanks alot,so in the future if I want to upgrade it for more frames rate, should I just get another GTX 570 and make it SLI?
newjiong View Drop Down

Quote newjiong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 12:10pm
And can anyone tell me

ST2420L full HD monitor with LED

or

Dell UltraSharp U2311H 23-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Display
Anglis View Drop Down

Quote Anglis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 12:36pm
Definitely the U2311.  It's an IPS and it's picture quality is so much better than the TN panel you put up.  The only time I would ever go TN now would be for a 120 hz monitor if your computer is strong enough to handle it.

So U2311h for sure!
newjiong View Drop Down

Quote newjiong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 2:40pm
Thanks Anglis, and can anyone tell me the difference between DST4ME's build and the ODE level 3?
desoto View Drop Down

Quote desoto Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 3:17pm
DST: good explanation of disabling oc. I have been wondering myself how this could be done. One thing I wonder about, say I have the ODE 1 and it is oc at 4.5 to 4.8ghz,  which is the prebuild config.  If I follow the bios change you describe, will the i7-2600k cpu revert to the base 3.4 ghz speed with turbo boost of 3.8 on one core?
I would probably want to disable oc if I was concerned about temps. Otherwise, I think it would be good to have.
Anglis View Drop Down

Quote Anglis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 5:35pm
He gave you different case, one that has more airflow. He's maximizing your cooling with that case.  His Mobo is different, though I actually like the Sabertooth, both are fine and the one he recommended is great. His power supply is different, the one he gave you is old reliable with a little more future proof.  He only gave you one video card, so in terms of that, his is a little weaker on the benchmark but you can add another if you feel like it.  He just did one because at 1080p, the 570 will max most games on a normal monitor.  Only a very few it won't max (Metro, Witcher 2) and a modded out Crysis.

Add another card down the line, then you will max them out probably.

edit: Oh and DST's doesn't have a blu ray, so make sure you add that if you want it.

Edited by Anglis - 20 Jun 2011 at 5:38pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 12:56am
Originally posted by newjiong

Thanks Anglis, and can anyone tell me the difference between DST4ME's build and the ODE level 3?

ode has sli mine does not, but mine can do sli if needed.

Well my build has a bigger case with more airflow and room,

Mine has a better mobo, its gonna be a pain to get to cmos and etc on the sabertooth, and on some forums they are having problems, but overall it should be ok, tho the deluxe is a better choice.

Mine has a 1TB black caviar that is fast as heck, the ode has regular 1TB that is not fast as heck.

Mine has the A70 cpu cooler that is better than the H70 in the ode.

Mine has the win7 pro, which does not suffer from the 16GB limit of home premium, it also has some extras, remote desktop, xp mode etc, but I chose it for the mem limit( home is maxed at 16GB, while the pro is maxed at 128GB), not that you will need 128GB of ram but in 3 years or so if for whatever reason you needed more ram, the home premium can cause problems.

Mine has the 1000w corsair which can do sli 580 if you wanted to, the ode has a lower model 800gs which I would not put sli 580 on, so my psu has better upgrade ability IMHO.

@desoto, temps should not be a problem with oc here:

1. DS does it right

2. if the temps are high on oc then something is wrong, and the fix is not to drop the oc, its to find what is not working, and causing higher temps than you should have.

So in short don't worry about oc here with DS doing it, you guys are good. This is a good way to get into the world of oc, you are having professionals oc it, so they do it right and with warranty.

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Jun 2011 at 12:57am
Crevex View Drop Down

Quote Crevex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 4:18am
If you start with a single gtx570, how hard is it to add a second one and enable SLI later on? Can it be done at home be relative novice such as myself =D ?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 5:27am
Originally posted by Crevex

If you start with a single gtx570, how hard is it to add a second one and enable SLI later on? Can it be done at home be relative novice such as myself =D ?

OH my gosh no no, its very difficult, j/k

its very simple to do, I can show/teach you how to do it in 2 minutes.

It is very easy to do, you just buy the video card:

1. Disconnect the power cord of your pc from the wall, open side panel and wait till all the lights on the mobo are off then:

2. Look at your mobo, it will look something like the pic below, but yours will have one gpu in it already, below pic does not have any gpus yet:

Now here is what your gpu will kina look like, this one is a evga 570 gtx:

3. Now line up the gpu with the pci lane and put/push the gpu in the pci lane:

And you should endup with something like this:

4. Then you just grab the sli bridge that should have come with your extra stuff with the pc, "Hard" sli bridge is not bendable and is straight, the one below is a "soft" sli bridge, which can bend in the middle a bit:

You take each end and stick one in each gpu, so it kinda looks like this:

Below is an actual 570 sli with the "Soft" sli bridge:

5. Connect the power cables already there for the gpu, to the gpu, these cards takes 2 6pin connectors like this:

But depending on the gpu you are getting your connectors might be 6 pin or 8 pin, so check to see what your card takes, this guide is using 570 gtx as an example. If you are not sure what you need, just simply make a post in the hardware section of the forum and we can tell you what your gpu takes/needs.

You take them and simply stick it in the 6pin socket in the gpu:

And you endup kinda like this (coloring of connectors can be different, this is just an example):

6. Connect the psu back to the wall, turn pc on, you may or may not need to reinstall gpu drivers.

7. Then just go to nvidia cp and make sure multi gpu is enabled, which most times it is by default:

That whole things from the time you open side panel to the time you close it because you are done, should take 2 minutes, give or take a minute.

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Jun 2011 at 7:34am
claire520 View Drop Down

Quote claire520 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 9:51am
wow thanks a lot DST4ME. You've really opened my eyes. It does fit my budget, and there's lot of room for upgrade later on. When I order this, which option should I choose for shipping? I don't wanna pay over $100 on shipping.
claire520 View Drop Down

Quote claire520 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 12:45pm
Hey guy, If I want to place the order now, is there an option for monthly payment? Since I'm going to college, I can't pull out enough money for a one time payment.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 2:48pm
Sorry, we don't offer direct financing, but, you can use a credit card to make monthly payments. If you don't have a credit card, we can work with your bank and you can get a loan for the computer with them.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 1:24am
Originally posted by claire520

wow thanks a lot DST4ME. You've really opened my eyes. It does fit my budget, and there's lot of room for upgrade later on. When I order this, which option should I choose for shipping? I don't wanna pay over $100 on shipping.

For shipping you should ask DS which is the best for you, I would go with the regular one I think its like $79 or something like that, to be honest I ordered the crate so mine was different.

Our pleasure and good luck
Crevex View Drop Down

Quote Crevex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 12:44pm
Thanks for all your help DST4ME.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 12:01am
My pleasure boss                     
 Post Reply Post Reply