FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Digital Storm's Response to P67 (Sandy Bridge)

Post Date: 2011-01-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  123 4>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Digital Storm's Response to P67 (Sandy Bridge)
    Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 9:40pm
Digital Storm has just recently been informed by Intel of an issue with the Cougar Point chipset used in all P67 and H67 motherboards. We would like to take a moment to explain in detail to any customers who recently purchased a P67 chipset motherboard what this issue is and how it will affect their computers performance now and in the future.

The issue concerns only the SATA 3G ports, not the SATA 6G ports on P67 and H67 motherboards. What may occur over time is a degradation in SATA 3G performance, however, SATA 6G performance is completely unaffected by this issue. Also, there is no issue with the Sandy Bridge processor, this issue resides in the motherboard chipset and again specifically concerns the performance of the SATA 3G ports only.

Before the release of Sandy Bridge, Digital Storm has already been installing customer hard drives to the faster SATA 6G ports; this means that this issue should not affect the large majority of our customers who purchased a Sandy Bridge based system. The main devices that may be affected by this issue are optical drives. The performance degradation issue is tied to the amount of use the SATA 3G ports receive, and since a large portion of users don’t use their optical drives on a regular basis; this further reduces the likelihood of performance degradation.

We value our customers business and want to provide the absolute best product and customer support. Taking that into consideration, we are offering customers that have recently purchased a Sandy Bridge system the following options should they wish to have their motherboard replaced:

1.     OPTION 1: You may have your computer sent back to our facility and upgraded with a revised P67 or H67 motherboard once it is released in March. If you would like to do this, please email: [email protected].

2.     OPTION 2: If you would rather not ship your system back to Digital Storm, we will ship you a replacement motherboard as an advanced warranty replacement when they are released in March. If you would like to do this, please email: [email protected].

Here's an official breakdown:

(1) All customers who have purchased a Sandy Bridge system up to March 31, 2011 will receive a free extra year of warranty to ensure you do not encounter any issues in the future.

(2) All customers who have purchased a Sandy Bridge system on or before February 1, 2011 may select either option 1 or option 2 above and Digital Storm will pay for: shipping costs, labor, and replacements.

For new customers that have not received their system, or are looking to purchase one:

(3) All customers who currently have an order with Digital Storm pending to be shipped, or are placing orders for a new Sandy Bridge system before the availability of the revised motherboards will be given the option of having their order put on a wait list.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to email: [email protected]

Sincerely,
Digital Storm Management
[email protected]

Edited by Alex - 01 Feb 2011 at 8:04pm
dillinkay View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote dillinkay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 9:46pm
This is why i choose you, for the second time now and will always choose you.

This type of response and service is bar none.

You guys rock.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 9:52pm
Daveator View Drop Down

Quote Daveator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 10:19pm
Thanks for the quick response.  The extended warranty is a nice touch
siggy View Drop Down

Quote siggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 10:52pm
Agreed - you all are serious about the service! I just hope Intel is paying for all your shipping and labor.   According to the article I read they are spending over $800 million on the resolution - so I hope DS gets their cut. This is very similar to when I was young and the Pentium was found to have a floating point error - I still have the flawed CPU in my drawer if anyone is interested... :)
MosleyP4P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MosleyP4P Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 11:01pm
Thank you for the response Alex. If I place my order tomorrow, February 1st, I would receive a extra year warranty going with the Sandy Bridge? That is if I read that correctly. As long as any problems related to the know issue is covered by the warranty should something happen down the road, that's all the confidence I need to go ahead with the order I want. Also if it doesn't affect the other ports like you said, then I am just going to order what I had planned.

Thanks again for this post.
Coronablade View Drop Down

Quote Coronablade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 11:44pm
Can optical drives be hooked up to the 6.0 ports to avoid the issue? I have very limited SATA knowledge, so forgive my lack of knowledge.

I only ask because I planned to order my rig here probably by mid-Feb, and I was wondering if I could completely avoid the issue?
dillinkay View Drop Down

Quote dillinkay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 11:44pm
Based on what youve said, the two hard drives i ordered will be fine as they will be plugged into the two 6.0 Gb/s slots, but the slot load optical MIGHT be effected but because i wont use it much i might not notice it at all, but at least not for a while?

What happens when something goes wrong though, does it just work slower? i guess i dont understand the big deal

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 11:49pm
Optical drives can be hooked to SATA 6G ports. If a customer orders a single hard drive, and a single optical drive, we'll place both of them on the SATA 6G ports.

Even if an optical drive is hooked to the SATA 3G port, you honestly would not experience performance degradation for a very, very long time and that's considering that you use the optical drive daily. A hard drive on the other hand, always reads and writes data via the SATA port, which can be while you're using the computer to do things or as a page file for memory management. An optical drive will just sit there doing nothing.

Nevertheless, we're offering an extra year of warranty, and the option to have the motherboard replaced for current customers.

Edited by Alex - 01 Feb 2011 at 12:22am
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 11:57pm
very nice damage control. handled fair, easy for both noobs and hard core users.

it would be 4 or 5 years or more. and if its only a CD drive then burning your pirated CD's will take 30 seconds more. evenutally (20 years?) the drive will STOP. idk how this happends lol. does not make sence. pull the power plug, press the on button and let teh pwoer drain out should reset to default bios or what ever was saved.

idk. but, a extra year of warienty is not needed, cuz liek i said, its going to take 40 years before you see a problem. but it is nice becasue if somethign else goes wrong tehy will fix it.........

alex, do you cover by dog peeing on the side on my computer and having it hit the side fan and go all over??? you dont...sad face!!!
steam friends is kainhall
Joel View Drop Down

Quote Joel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 12:54am
Just a question. The 3G port that is bad on these boards is where the CD for games go, right?

Edited by Joel - 01 Feb 2011 at 12:54am
Nebidimka View Drop Down

Quote Nebidimka Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 1:01am
What about the systems that a currently in production? say, stage 3? Are you going to ship them with non fixed mobos or actually replace it before shipping out?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 1:19am
One of many reasons why we love DS.

If it was me I would put the dvd drives on the sata 2.0, till the new mobo comes out and either I have DS send me the board and replace it or ship it to DS and have them replace it.

Alex is the cost of shipping covered here?
Qwann View Drop Down

Quote Qwann Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 1:28am
Originally posted by Alex

1.     OPTION 1: Digital Storm will cover all costs to have your computer sent back to our facility and upgraded with a revised P67 or H67 motherboard once it is released in March. If you would like to do this, please email: [email protected].

2.     OPTION 2: If you would rather not ship your system back to Digital Storm, we will ship you a replacement motherboard as an advanced warranty replacement free of charge when they are released in March. If you would like to do this, please email: [email protected].

Also, all customers who purchased a Sandy Bridge system up to March 31st 2011 will receive a free extra year of warranty to ensure you do not encounter any issues in the future.

So yes DST,shipping is covered, and DSO is doing phenomenal job at dealing with an unforeseen problem. I shudder to think what Cyberpower or Ibuypower are sure to do to their customers!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 1:42am
lol I missed that part, thanks Qwann

IMHO:

Here is what everybody needs to remember, the sata 2.0 ports are effected over 2 years of use, that means you can use your 2 intel sata 3.0 ports for your HDDs, and I would use the sata 2.0 port for the dvd drive/s, new mobos are out in march, so you will never notice any degradation by then, and in march one way or another you swap mobo and that is it, IMO you can even connect your drives to the sata 2.0 and not notice any problems at all by march. With the DS customers service (ie paying for mobo swap), its business as usual IMO, no big deal here for DS users, get whatever you want, use it till march, then upgrade mobo in march.

Edited by DST4ME - 01 Feb 2011 at 1:50am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 3:01am
Cheers!

I just updated my post with some more details.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 3:40am
Very nice Alex, DS should be very proud, I know we are
Divine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Divine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 4:16am
So, hmm...I ordered my system jan 20th, and they called and said they were out of Maximus IV Extreme so they had to wait 2 weeks for 1 to come in, my question is how does this effect my order? Will my order be on hold as of now, or they just going to install it when it comes in, and then after I get my system keep it for a few weeks then ship it right back?

And while its in, if I have the extra cash "tax refund" could I get other upgrades since its going to be there anyways? like and extra 580?

Edited by Divine - 01 Feb 2011 at 4:18am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 4:57am
you have the option of waiting till march or getting now and then shipping it back in march or getting a new mobo you install yourself in march.

Yes you can request upgrades while they have it.

Edited by DST4ME - 01 Feb 2011 at 4:57am
Divine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Divine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 5:23am
well dang, the man upstairs evidently doesnt want me to have my dream machine lol...march 31st is a long wait, probally end up just having them finish it and then send it back I guess...I really dont want to tinker around with a 4000$ peice of work or I would consider trying it myself...

Well, I sent them a detail'd email on it just now...see how this all is going to go down, really would hate to wait till march 31st to enjoy my system.

Edited by Divine - 01 Feb 2011 at 6:54am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 7:18am
It sucks and very disappointing, but thing do happen from time to time.
MosleyP4P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MosleyP4P Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 8:39am
I was nervous about this all at first, but really, if all it could possibly affect is your optical drive... In my case at least, it's a non-issue as the only time I use the disc drive is to install programs. Further more, I was told that it would take years. Again, in my situation, if that is indeed the case, it'd be a non-issue. So, I ordered last night in hopes that everything I was told was correct (about the 6.0 not being affected).
gamerk2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gamerk2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 8:51am
Yeah, everything points to SATA 3 working correctly.  And its also a plus that a lot of ASUS boards have FOUR SATA 3 ports, which farther mitigates the issue.

Still, this is why I buy from DS now.
MosleyP4P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MosleyP4P Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 9:34am
Yeah, I think I will be okay. I placed an order last night and received an order confirmation number. I checked under the 'my account' and it said it could not be found... I am wondering if this is simply because they have not manually processed my order yet? Regardless, I just hope it goes okay with me going with sandy bridge. I had considered another build with the previous generation of intel, but I went with SB anyway because I do not think it will be as much an issue for me as I do not use my optical drive much at all (basically to install a program once in a great while (months in between uses once I get all my  programs installed). I also did like the response this company issued and the way they are dealing with everything.
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 1:56pm
So if im reading this correctly lets say i ordered a asus p8p67 motherboard. I would want 1 HD obviously hooked to a 6g port another 6g port wired just in case i want to add another HD later and since the asus board has 4 sata 6 ports i could get the optical drive plugged into the sata 6 port and be fine?
MosleyP4P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MosleyP4P Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 2:20pm
I just completed the processing of my order and was encouraged to go with a single HDD for now, so I just went with a 1TB WD. I will have to see how the overall performance is, but I may get a SSD thrown in at the same time the new mobo's get in. Not sure, but if it works as it is then maybe I will just go wtih that. Not sure yet.
Divine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Divine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 2:22pm
Meh, so it seem I miss-understood the original forum posting...if you are pending or havent shipped out yet they dont give you the option to send it back later free of charge to get a fixed motherboard, you can either switch to x58, have them hold the order till end of march mid april, or go thru with the order as configured...the free of charge only applies to the exact dates he posted and if you allready have the product...this is a big dissapointment to me, as I was plaining on adding more h-drives over the length of the system and even my high end board doesnt have that many sata 3 connectors...but according to my email, if I dont wait 2 or so months for the new boards, I wont have that option available...im not waiting 2 months while my bank account is drained...srry

Edited by Divine - 01 Feb 2011 at 2:34pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 2:34pm
@MosleyP4P, you should be able to view your order since you placed it. Please email me your order number and contact details to: [email protected]

@RiceEatin2000GT, all Asus Sandy Bridge boards have only two SATA 6G ports. If you were to pick one hard drive and one optical drive, both of them will be connected to the SATA 6G ports. If you were to add another hard drive in the future, you should move the optical drive to a SATA 3G port and the new hard drive to a SATA 6G port.

@Divine, I'm sorry to hear about the situation, and I agree, it's a bummer for everyone. The shipping costs being covered and such is for all customers that recently purchased a Sandy Bridge system and either have it on the way for delivery or currently own it. All customers that have pending orders or new incoming orders are being given options to either: (1) Continue with the order, (2) Wait for the revised boards, (3) Change to an X58 platform with a discount on the upgrade cost.
Divine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Divine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 2:37pm
Hey alex, I dont blaim you guys at all...its intels fault, and even then with all tech comes problems.....I will just pay to ship it back I guess, and get a new board when they come out...but you can understand why I dont want to wait, paid all the $ for something, would like to use it soon not 2 or so months down the road.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 2:39pm
I understand, and agree. Honestly, you most likely will never experience any issues with the system anyways. I would not consider having it sent back for service until we actually see issues.
MosleyP4P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MosleyP4P Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 2:56pm
@ Alex,

I got my order going and in stage 3 currently. I was asked on the phone by DS to go with one hard drive to avoid issues, so I just dropped my solid state drive in my configuration. I kind of wanted a solid state drive, but I don't want any problems either and was told they were calling people placing the sandy bridge orders and asking that. Which is fine for me, but I was wondering if something could be worked out in a couple of months when the new sandy bridge motherboards come out. I basically was thinking I could send back my system provided there has not been any modification to the options you posted (free shipping and free replacement Mobo) and at the same time purchase a SSD then have it put into the new motherboard while it is at your facility? I guess it is just something I am thinking about but I am not sure.

All that being said... I may just wait until my next system to purchase a solid state perhaps if everything is up and running smoothly. However, if any issues do occur down the road, It would be nice to get the new version of the motherboard.
Davis8282 View Drop Down

Quote Davis8282 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 5:34pm
How will this affect the xm15 level 1, I was just about to buy it.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 8:00pm
@MosleyP4P, we can always install the regular SATA hard drive and SSD on the two SATA 6G ports. Having an optical drive on the 3G port honestly has a very rare chance the port will have performance degradation due to the lack of constant daily use a hard drive normal uses reading and writing. We'll be more than happy to change out the board for you, but, you will be responsible for shipping costs later, as we are offering you the option now, prior to shipment of your system on whether you would like to continue, wait, or change to a different chip-set such as the X58.

@Davis8282, as of right now, the laptops are not in-stock, and they are on pre-order. If you do order one, you will receive a laptop with no issues, however, the ETA may be pushed to March.
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 12:17am
thank you alex for answering all our questions! Do you have an eta when the new revised motherboards will be in?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 8:29pm
No problem. Mid-March to end of March is what we're seeing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>