FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Configuration input please

Post Date: 2010-07-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
EyeFixer View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote EyeFixer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Configuration input please
    Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 11:31pm

I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out. I am new to these forums and DS, but they seem great for the price:performance ratio and rep. I'm not a gamer, but love tech. I have read a lot of the recent config. discussions, but still have a lot of specific questions so any input is much appreciated, particularly sincde I can't get through to DS staff on the phone. My forum questions for you knowledgeable elite are regarding the following configurations: 424080 (I want the gulftown because it runs cooler and I will use all the threads at times) and 423425 (I really should stay at 3K to be in budget)

1. Any General suggestions/criticisms of my configurations. I'm  Thinking of asking for "conservative overclock" because my main goals are stability (for work apps) and a lifespan of 4 or more years with 24/7 up time and some up to 18 hr continuous full/near full processor load runs (all threads) of non-attended jobs including simultaneous audio and video processing and transcoding.  I was thinking of asking for at load specs of: max temp <= 70 degrees C and a max voltage <= 1.4V for these goals (what I would do myself). Is it reasonable to make such specific specification requests?

2. Anyone know (or done this) if it possible to have one of the Rampage III BIOSes set to normal processor settings/clocks and the other set to the overclock settings so I can choose which to use based on the work?

3. Anyone know if the Rampage III board support 2 RAID arrays and if so can one be on SATA 6? I plan to add a second RAID array myself.

4. Can I save some cash with Intel 40 GB X-25V SSD until SSds mature some without seeing too much difference. Hey, I'm coming from an old raptor as my OS drive.

5. On config 423425 will the i7 930 really clock to the same as the i7 960 (as some say) with the Noctua NH-D14 or is the 960 likely a higher clockable part on air given my concerns in #1 above?

6. I've been ready to buy for a while, but can't get through to DS sales or tech support even when I leave my number for call back (as directed by their "we’re busy" message) even hours before they close. Are they just busy or are they are having some serious problems or going under?

Thanks all.Big%20Smile
Live well. Do good.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 12:04am
I just glazed over your builds because i dont understand exactly what it is you do.. you said that you would all the threads in a gulftown... what do you do that uses 12 cores? if youre plotting to take over the world, i cant help you with this build on principle.

if youre planning on keeping your processer under constant load for 4 years, you may consider water cooling it. the lower you keep that chip, the longer it will last.
what do you mean "conservative" overclock at 1.4? i mean.. my 875k gets 4k+ with high .3s, what overclock range are you thinking?

1. ill get to the details of your config after i understand exactly what it is you want to do

2. you can defintely set overclocking and non overclocking profiles with asus boards, i think most mainstream boards allow this now, at least i know evga and asus do

3. i dont know about dual raid arrays although i dont see why they wouldnt, i dont know what you would do with this though

4. well you can save a lot of cash by not gettind SSDs at all until they mature some, you seem to know enough that adding your own hd later wouldnt be tough. but its always a game trying to beat the curve by buying late, its a dangerous game

5. every 9 series bloomfield is the same chip, 920 30 40 ... are the same. the difference is that you pay intel to overclock them for you. and there is always the small gamble that you will get the rare 920 that just wont go over 3.6. its unlikely, but it is on the table. the only bonus you get out of buying over 920 is the assurance that it can get to whatever 9__ clock speed you buy at

6. what time zone are you in? thats wierd. did you try emailing?

more info about what exactly youll be doing will help with tweaking your choices

Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 12:56am
I'll leave it to you whether you think you can benefit from the extra threads or not, but do keep in mind that only so many applications actually can.

Don't even bother with fake SATA III boards, and especially don't bother to RAID anything on them, the performance is completely terrible.

And yes, the 40GB Intel SSD performs great and makes a perfect OS/apps drive.

Anywho, your motherboard and case are the biggest too spots to save money on, try this for a base.

Ticket #424485, Price: $2629
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
EyeFixer View Drop Down

Quote EyeFixer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 1:08am

Great info., Thanks much. I'm CST, but have tried them 2-3 hours before 5 pm their time. Maybe It has just been their busy days. To answer you: I am a professor at a medical school. I will use the system for the mundane, but I do multithreaed video/audio editing/transcoding that can take hours to process on a year old fast xenon quad core at full load. I would like to be able to do more of this and my family video (off HDV tape) at home. I will also soon have access to some multithreated medical imaging apps which will make it possible to resize/transcode my entire huge 2D/3D medical teaching image and video library so it is all available in multiple formats and sizes appropriate for any device or bandwidth my students are using including full high def over fiber (work). None of my apps use the GPU yet. I'll upgrade that when they do. Think of having 15 Blu-Ray movies ripped and queued up forsimultanious transcoding in handbrake to multiple formats/containers/bitrates/etc. including at least one full high def. audio/video format for each. That is the type of job I hope to be able to let the rig run while I'm pulling an 18 hour day.   Again, thanks for your great feedback:)

Live well. Do good.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 1:12am
processor stress worries me with your needs. even with a great air cooler, what you are looking to do will depend almost completely on the clock speed, which i dont know how comfortable i would be running a 4g overclock for 18hours of load per day for very long.
you might be at your swan song in about 3 years... it should last longer, but just like with any other machine. the longer and harder you push it, the sooner it will fail.
EyeFixer View Drop Down

Quote EyeFixer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 1:34am
Thanks Dragoonseal. I'll go with that SSD. I wanted a USB III board because I already have a USB III portable HD I. I also wanted 6Gb/s SATA to stave off obselecence because I have so little time for upgrading motherboards and overclocking these days. I realize despite what the vendors say these technologies probably don't actually have their own discrete chips/signal paths and run off the PCIe bus, but my thinking is that I would rather have the interface built in than not and I am unlikely to saturate the bus without heavy GPU use. Is this thinking all wrong? I also like the dual BIOS in the Rampage III so I could have an overclocked and non overclocked profile which I thought the EVGA Limited couldn't do (although a great board and price). Am I wrong on this too?
Live well. Do good.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 6:14am
Originally posted by EyeFixer

I wanted a USB III board because I already have a USB III portable HD I.

You can get a PCIe USB 3.0 add on card for extremely cheap.

I also wanted 6Gb/s SATA to stave off obselecence because I have so little time for upgrading motherboards and overclocking these days. I realize despite what the vendors say these technologies probably don't actually have their own discrete chips/signal paths and run off the PCIe bus, but my thinking is that I would rather have the interface built in than not and I am unlikely to saturate the bus without heavy GPU use. Is this thinking all wrong?

That SATA III 6Gb/s is funny, it's basically downright false advertising. Oy vey, where to start. Well for one there are a ton of different implementation methods used:

Some just use a single PCIe 1.1 lane, this gives just 250MB/s bandwidth, worse than even a normal SATA II port which has 300MB/S bandwidth. Crazy

Some use a PLX chip to turn four PCIe 1.1 lanes into two 500MB/s PCIe 2.0 lanes, giving 500MB/s to the USB 3.0 chip and 500MB/s to the SATA III chip. Worse yet is that because of overhead data transfer you're only going to be able to use around 400MB/s of that (to be fair overhead also brings normal SATA II lanes down to 250-270MB/s). Worse yet is that the 500MB/s is shared between the two SATA III ports, so if you use both ports you're back down to 250MB/s per port and a RAID array will top out at 400MB/s (like I linked in this thread). LOL

The last and most aggressive method runs the primary PCIe x16 lane in split x8/x8 mode and steals 8 of those PCIe 2.0 lanes leaving only a PCIe x8 lane for the GPU. Each PCIe 2.0 lane is 500MB/s bandwidth. And funny story! The Marvell SATA III chip can only be connected to one PCIe lane at a time, so the USB 3.0 chip gets one lane, the Marvell SATA III chip gets one lane, and then the other 6 go unused. This starting to look familiar? This is just like the last example, the two SATA III ports get to share a 500MB/s lane and max out at 400MB/s after overhead. LOL

Unless you use two PCIe add on cards, in which case the USB 3.0 and SATA III chips give control of all PCIe 2.0 lanes back and just default to single PCIe 1.1 lanes with only 250MB/s bandwidth. LOL

Oh, and icing on the cake time. That Marvell SATA III controller, it sucks something fierce. No TRIM functionality (!), bad overhead, no cache utilization, little or no RAID functionality (only one of the chip models has RAID capability), compatibility issues, and almost no NCQ capability, just to name a few.

The standard Intel SATA II (ICH10R) ports may cap individually at 270MB/s and limit the sequential speeds of upcoming SSDs some but they beat the snot out of the Marvell offering in every other way. Also the maximum bandwidth for the ICH10R as a whole is much higher, Lilim pushes over 800MB/s which is twice what the Marvell chip can manage. [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

And the Crucial RealSSD C300, the only SSD currently out with sequential read speeds higher than 270MB/s? Its performance plummets to unacceptable levels without TRIM support, so have fun running that on the TRIMless Marvell SATA III. LOL

Morel of the story: don't waste money on SATA III 6G/b motherboards, they're all a scam.

I also like the dual BIOS in the Rampage III so I could have an overclocked and non overclocked profile which I thought the EVGA Limited couldn't do (although a great board and price). Am I wrong on this too?

No that's something different. A motherboard with a dual BIOS has an actual secondary backup BIOS chip that you can boot from in case you corrupt the primary with a bad BIOS flash or it just has an outright hardware failure.

Most any decent motherboard will have multiple profiles that you can save and load any settings to. This includes all EVGA boards, which I believe have 8 profile save slots. DS will ship you an overclocked rig with the overclock settings saved to one of the profile slots so you can easily switch between it and default stock settings. And you can even freely make some custom mild or intermediate overclock profiles. Though really DS overclocks are already pretty mild to start with, they do warranty the parts with overclock after all.

Edited by Dragoonseal - 23 Jul 2010 at 5:56pm
Lilim
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 8:23am
lol if there is ever an election for the god of all hds, i think dragoon would run it, win it, and have his hd army clean up after the party

and what he said about profiles is right, you would likely have a hard time finding a 1366 board that doesnt allow at least 3 saved profiles, but asus has built in features for overclocking and the problems that come with it, they have included these for a long time, part of the reason i prefer asus. but if you arent overclocking on your own, this will make no difference
EyeFixer View Drop Down

Quote EyeFixer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 2:47am

I really appreciate all the advice and my last choice now is the motherboard. I've been researching boards, but the more I read, try to compare features and get into technical detail (wow complex boards these days) the harder the decision becomes. Can I have some of your thoughts and opinions please? Feel free to include links to sources/articles. I'm less concerned with cost than a board that will last me through lots of upgrades. I'm looking for plenty of future expandability, so I'm thinking newer technology (although I know it's not mature) and lots of PCIe bandwidth. Below is what I am looking for in a motherboard if anyone wants to give me their thoughts. I'm still open to input on other aspects of the build also.  I'm likely going with this build: 426348 (or the i7 970).

1.      A stable, reliable, X58 board that fits the Noctua NH-D14 cooler and overclocks well with multiple profiles to hold the DS overclock, my overclock and stock clock/settings (so at least 2-3 profiles).

2.      Board with 8 SATA connectors and the ability to run 2 separate raid 1 arrays because I know I will add 2 more SATA DVD-RW drives and 2 more 2TB HD right away.

3.      At least 1-2 eSATA connectors. But I guess I can add this with add in card so not a deal breaker.

4.      Plenty of total PCIe bandwidth (see #4-5 below)

5.      Lots of PCIe slots (minimum of >=4-5?) I probably only need 1 x 16 slot because I'll only run 1 video card at a time, but would like a few x8 and x2 (who needs x1?). And 1 or 2 PCI slots also.

6.      Ideally I'd like a board with a decent solution for USB III and SATA III (w/ RAID 1 and TRIM support on SATA III). Is there a board in DS's choices with decent controller chips for these and that gives each reasonable bandwidth, even if it is taken from the PCIe bus (since I won't be using that for heavy graphics bandwidth)? I realize the board chips/solutions are not mature yet, but is this an unreasonable expectation given the technologies' infancies? Should I just put in PCIe add in cards for USB III and SATA III? The ones available not do not seem to add much more bandwidth than the better integrated chips on the better boards, right? It would seem that for adequate bandwidth SATA III and USB III would be on separate x8 add in cards, but I have not seen anything like this for sale.

7.      Decent 5.1 on-board audio (as good as it gets for on-board).

Thanks again.

Live well. Do good.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 12:55am
Sorry EyeFixer, didn't mean to make you wait so long for a response. I was just putting it off because I can't think of an easy and quick way to explain things, plus I got side tracked researching things earlier. I see you're around now and checking the thread though so gimme a bit and I'll try to give a quick and dirty explanation.
Lilim
EyeFixer View Drop Down

Quote EyeFixer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 1:11am
Thanks Dragoonseal. I know it is a lot of questions. Whenever you can get to it is fine. Below is something else I posted as well. Thanks again.

I could use opinions on build 426348 (or the i7 970 proc). Specifically, I need to select a motherboard. Please see my above questions (and background, etc.) re motherboard at the bottom of the thread. I will probably go with the EVGA X58 FTW3, MSI Big Bang- X-Power or the Asus Rampage III extreme (listed in order of preference) because I need SATA3 and USB3, but is it better to have USB3/SATA3 on the board or as an add-in card at this point (again see mine and others' comments/questions in previous post)? Anyone know if any of these boards run a PCI Express switch to efficiently manage the USB3/SATA3 bandwidth on the PCIe bus? Note that my current 2nd choice board (if people can convince me USB3 and SATA3 are better as add in cards is the EVGA X58 SLI Classified, but less expensive boards would be great if people have ideas.

Edited by EyeFixer - 30 Jul 2010 at 1:25am
Live well. Do good.
EyeFixer View Drop Down

Quote EyeFixer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 2:13am

Dragoonseal (and others), do you think an answer to my problem wanting USB3/SATA3 before it is a mature tech. can be answered by using add in cards (maybe a separate card for each interface? With only 1 video card would I have enough bandwidth on the PCIe bus for SATA3 future generation SSD RAID 0 and external HD on USB3 for backup or a RAID 1 data array? I'm starting to lean toward add in cards, but regularly make drive images and hate having to load drivers as part of the process. Your thought on anything of this would be much appreciated. Signing off for tonight.

Live well. Do good.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 2:21am
Alright, semi condensed summery version. It's all marketing, a big giant sack of lies and false advertising. There is no SATA III 6Gb/s, there is no x16/x16/x16, there is no x16/x16/x16/x16, and there is no spoon.

The unfortunate truth is that every single x58 motherboard all have only 6 SATA ports and 36 lanes of PCIe 2.0, which allow for x16/x16, x16/x8/x8, or x8/x8/x8/x8 configurations (plus one optional x4 or multiple x1 lanes).

Here's a layout of all x58 boards:

That's it, that's all they have to work with, no x58 motherboard has more lanes than this. So why do some boards list x16/x16/x16 or even x/16/x16/x16/x16 lanes? Primarily because they're lying through their teeth. Also because they use one or more nForce 200 chips.

The NF200's claim to fame is that it turns a single x16 lane into two x16 lanes. How does it do this? Magic! And pretty diagrams.

The reality is that the NF200 chips only allow extra GPU to GPU communication bandwidth, but everything is still funneled through the standard two x16 lanes. The thing is GPUs already handle most of their communication through the external SLI bridges and use SLI profiles to minimize any needed communication anyway. In the end it basically does jack for the x58 platform.

Actually, worse is that because the connections have to go through the extra chip there is added latency, which can actually reduce speeds. Worse yet is that the NF200 only works for Nvidia GPUs, it does nothing for ATI GPUs or anything else plugged into a PCIe lane, they still use the standard 36 lanes and have the added latency.

Nuts, that still took too long to write. I'll post the rest later since you're leaving.

Lilim
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 3:23am
Now, SATA ports. All x58 have a maximum of 6 ICH10R SATA ports, which supports up to 3 RAID arrays, each port having a rated speed of 300MB/s but they max out at about 270MB/s because of overhead, and altogether will max out at around 700-750MB/s throughput.

If a motherboard lists more than 6 SATA ports it's a lie. Anything other than the standard 6 on the ICH10R controller are fake SATA ports using either JMicron or Marvell controllers.

If they're devil made JMicron ports just pretend they don't exist, they have the most horrible compatibility and speed I have ever seen, you will be lucky if you could even get a DVD drive to work on one. Sometimes they have RAID capability but they're all limited to sharing a single PCIe 1.1 lane, with the JMicron controller being just awful in every way (bad latency, bad overhead), so you'll never even manage to hit 200MB/s. And keep in mine JMicron ports are separate from ICH10R ports, you can not RAID between them. Nor should you want to.

As for the fake SATA III 6Gb/s, I thought I already sufficiently went over all that? It doesn't matter what stopgap method they use to implement it, the Marvell controller is limited to either just a single PCIe 1.1 lane connection for 250MB/s (200MB/s after overhead) of bandwidth to share between two ports or a single PCIe 2.0 lane connection for 500MB/s (400MB/s after overhead) of bandwidth to share between two ports. It's just like a JMicron controller in disguise, bad overhead, bad compatibility, no TRIM, no cache utilization, bad NCQ utilization, etc. And of course any Marvell ports are separate from ICH10R ports, you can not RAID between them, nor should you want to. It has no redeeming qualities at all, standard ICH10R ports run circles around it.

Lastly are eSATA ports, which are handled in a number of ways. Some motherboards don't have dedicated ones and just run eSATA through the standard ICH10R SATA ports. If a motherboard has the 6 standard ICH10R ports and a dedicated eSATA port then the eSATA port is likely using a JMicron controller, with all the performance and compatibility issues that come with it.

So you might ask "So if all x58 motherboards have just 36 PCIe 2.0 lanes and 6 ICH10R SATA ports then what do motherboards that cost hundreds of dollars more than the EVGA x58 LE offer that it does not?"

Which which I would reply, "That's a damn good question, isn't it?"
Lilim
EyeFixer View Drop Down

Quote EyeFixer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 11:17am

Thanks for the detail, and repeating yourself on the SATA issue. I have some other questions for your or anyone. When you are sick of all my questions just tell me to screw off.  I think I finally have gotten it through my thick skull (despite not wanting to). I am stuck with 6 SATA ports Upset. This makes it “a little difficult” to run 5 hard drives (1 SSD OS drive and 2 sets of data drives in raid 1) plus 4 SATA DVD drives. Any ideas how to do this? I do have some great DVD drives in EIDE. Could I use a motherboard with an EIDE connector? Would you have a suggestion for one? Can I use add in cards to add ports (SATA II or SATA III and USB III)? Would I have to use seperate cards for the SATA (espically SATAIII and the USB)? Could I use eSATA on an add in card? Would all or any of this affect my PCIe bandwidth noticable? Is this just creating another version of the same situation you described on the boards themselves. What am I do do?Cry Is there any advantage to some of the “better” (i.e. more expensive) boards versus the EVGA x58 LE? Do some over clock better with their overclocking “features” or is it all hype? I am reading other posts/sites for info, but it is hard to find the details you provide. Thanks again to you or anyone who has  an oppinion on motherboards and these issues.

Live well. Do good.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 1:02pm
6 SATA on the Intel south bridge, but, more on the other controller, depending on what board you get, that you can use for DVD drives on.
why 4 DVD drives?
EyeFixer View Drop Down

Quote EyeFixer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 1:18pm
I often have to make a few DVD's for my students and the more drives I can run to do simultanious burns the fewer runs I have to make.
Live well. Do good.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 1:36pm
Oy vey! Four DVD drives?

If you really need that many ports then you're kind of screwed for options. I would say either get an add on PCIe RAID card (for SATA ports) or a motherboard with a lot of extra JMicron and/or Marvell ports.

If you get a motherboard with extra ports use the 6 ICH10R ports for the SSD, two RAID arrays, and eSATA (if it doesn't have a dedicated eSATA port), and use all remaining JMicron and/or Marvell ports for the DVD drives. Amusingly that's the only thing those ports are actually good for, making you the first and likely last person I would actually recommend get said type of motherboard.

As for your add on card questions, you can get add on cards for pretty much anything, extra SATA II or III ports with or without RAID functionality, USB 3.0 ports, eSATA ports, etc. They typically only require PCIe x1 or x4 lanes, so they're not going to be hogging much PCIe bandwidth unless you're using a number of them and physically blocking off too many lanes. But since you're sticking with single GPU solutions this will likely never be an issue since very few x58 boards are limited in that way, most have a lot of physical lanes for add on cards. Storage based add on card quality can from downright crummy to exceptional, just don't expect exceptional without having to pay a lot.

A lot of motherboards are more expensive just because of all the extra bells and whistles. JMicron chips, Marvell chips, PLX bridge chips, NF200 bridge chips, the additional connection ports for any of these options, and the expanded board space required to actually fit it all can drive up the price surprisingly quick. Beyond that boards targeted at high end overclockers can offer better heatsinks and higher quality components to handle the higher voltages and heat from pushing extra high overclocks. Some even have support for cold boots at subzero temperatures for the extreme enthusiasts who want to use liquid nitrogen or phase change coolers. And of course there are always a lot of relatively pointless and gimmicky additions that can be implemented by the manufacturers for cheap that they'll often drum up the price with.

Most of it is unnecessary and all kinds of terribly overpriced. There are a number of very good low price boards that keep the price down skipping all the unneeded extras but still cover all the important points and reach high 4.4GHz~ overclocks. The EVGA x58 LE and Micro are very notable for this, and are hands down one of the best options available for most people.

You're just one of the odd exceptions. Hahaha
Lilim
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 1:43pm
they do make USB, external DVD drives. there are a ton of USB ports in the rear of most new motherboards.
or buy a DVD duplicator one that can do 5 at a time is usually under $400.00

Edited by justin.kerr - 30 Jul 2010 at 1:44pm
Ch3ssplay3r View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ch3ssplay3r Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 2:11pm
If you need that many DVD drives, external would be the way to go i think.

I would liquid cool that processor, that's a ton of stress on it. You would need to keep it cool for it to last long and perform well, and if you have 3k and don't need a high end GPU, you should have the money to do so.

Looks like dragoon has more info to put in his text file. lol

Edited by Ch3ssplay3r - 30 Jul 2010 at 2:13pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Ch3ssplay3r

Looks like dragoon has more info to put in his text file. lol

You underestimate my laziness. I'm not even going to bother to copy/paste that for anyone, I'll just link them straight to this thread.

Yeah you! The person I linked to this thread, I'm talking to you! Angry
Lilim
EyeFixer View Drop Down

Quote EyeFixer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 9:01pm

Ch3ssplay3r, I take your point on H2O, but I thought I'd go air to minimize risks (leakage) and maintenance, i.e. just keep it simple (after lots reading/taking to others). I've never built/owned a water cooled rig and can likely get a satisfactory overcloclk with the Noctua NH-D14. ON the processor longevity issue: for long job runs at high processor loads, I planned to use another motherboard profile that ran a conservative overclock (or even stock clock sometimes?) that would keep voltage/load temps close to Intel specs if the DS spec'ed configuration ran too hot. I've come around to the idea that processor life vs. overclocked performance is a trade off and I'm willing to give up something, even take the risk of blowing the proc. early. I guess even for a real busy/lazy guy like me losing a processor can be a happy day, a reason to upgrade. I hope my thinking is starting to make sense here. Or maybe that is just what delusional people say. I certainly appreciate all the imput.

Live well. Do good.
EyeFixer View Drop Down

Quote EyeFixer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 9:02pm
If I am going to start a discuaaion/solicit suggestions regarding DS  motherboards currently being offered you guys think I should do it here or start new therad? Or is there one I have missed with my search?
Live well. Do good.
SemperFuzz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SemperFuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 10:06am
Thanks Dragoon you just sold me on the Evga LE board and saved me some money, great review and thanks for your time on this buddy.  I know you probably posted this question somewhere on memory but i am coming from a Opty 185 with 2 gigs of Mushkin Redline DDR500 so i assume going with the DS stock 6 gigs of DDR 1600 will be fine and i dont really need the Corsair GT 1600 at 180 bucks extra correct?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 10:21am
Nah, the Corsair memory has a bit better timings but you'd barely be able to tell the difference even in synthetic benchmarks, and especially not in normal use, so the $180 can be better spent elsewhere.
Lilim
 Post Reply Post Reply