FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Professional Advice (8 Q’s)

Post Date: 2010-04-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VideCorSpoon View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote VideCorSpoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need Professional Advice (8 Q’s)
    Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 1:51pm
------------------------------My Story -----------------------------

Hello all.  Long story short, I have been a generic HP customer for almost 10 years now and I have to say I have become severely disappointed in their computers.  It seems like as soon as you get the computer, it is immediately outdated, underpowered for what I want to do, and the expense does not justify the purchase.  I have had my current HP 8120n for two years and it is almost dead.  I even swapped out the video card (thus the inclination to buy a custom PC in the first place)… but the computer just sucks.  I am resolved to buy a custom PC from Digital Storm because it seems better to spend a fair amount up front for a long life span than a moderate amount twice over the same course of time. I have gone over the custom build options and this is what I have come up with;

--------------------------My Configuration ------------------------

Chassis Model: Digital Storm HailStorm (Black OPS Edition)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 960 3.2GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: !SALE: EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Expansion Bay: External USB Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards
H20 Tube Color:Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: Touch 2000 Aerocool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: Yes, Overclock memory frequency (Includes Memory Fan Kit Installed)
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Warranty: 4 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty (Highly Recommended)

------------------------Total and Objective ----------------------

The total comes out to $5,219 (including $450 in discounts).  I find this to be a reasonable price for the computer I intend to buy.  I am intent on buying within the next few weeks pending the answers to my questions, so I would deeply appreciate any professional advice you can offer on the questions below.

---------------------------My Questions ---------------------------

[1. QUESTION ABOUT PROCESSOR] For the processor, I decided to go with [Intel Core i7 960 3.2GHz] rather than the [Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 975 3.33GHz] because of two reasons; the difference in price is $453 and opting for “Stage-1” overclocking on the processor increases the performance above the more expensive option.  Is this reasoning correct? 

[2. QUESTION ABOUT MOTHERBOARD] For the Motherboard, would it make a difference whether or not I upgrade the motherboard (+$84) from [EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset)] to the [Asus P6x58D Premium SLI (Intel X58 Chipset)]

[3. QUESTION ABOUT POWER SUPPLY ] For the power supply, is a 1200 watt power supply overkill for what I have (or too little)?

[4. QUESTION ABOUT HARD DRIVES] For the Hard drive, I discovered that the Hailstorm case (Corsair Obsidian Series 800D) has room for a total of 6 hard drives, 4 in the hot-swappable area and 2 in the area below the aforementioned area.  What I intend to do is put the operating system on a single 1TB Western Digital and tuck that away on the bottom, leaving the 4 hot-swappable bays open and, as time goes on,  I can expand as I (and my wallet) please.   I would love to put all the hard drives in to begin with, but buying the hard drives now are not as cost effective as getting them elsewhere and just having myself put them in (for example, to get a bank of 4-2 TB hard drives, I would spend $676 with another internet store compared to $1248 on Digital Storm).  Is this a plausible/efficient scheme?  Am I missing something in my reasoning?

[5. QUESTION ABOUT INTERNET ACCESS] For internet access, I was considering the [Killer Xeno Pro] (+$130).  I don’t do online gaming, but I download  a lot using bittorent and so on.   I get mixed reviews of it… some say it is great if you have a slow computer and some say it is great for overall efficiency.  Is it worth it? 

[6. QUESTIONS ABOUT VIDEO CARDS] For video cards, I am leaning towards [2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)].  I don’t want to skimp out in this area, so I want the best bang for the buck.  I have a few sub questions in this category;

*****[VIDEO CARD QUESTION A]
Is the [2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)] a good choice? 
*****[VIDEO CARD QUESTION B] Is the [2x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)] better than the cards mentioned in the previous question since its +$70 more? 

[7. QUESTION ABOUT COOLING] For cooling, I wanted to make sure my computer runs cool and (just as important) runs quietly.  To that end, I opted for the “Extreme Cooling” [H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards] as well as upgraded fans, the “touch 2000 aerocool display,” and Noise Suppression package.

*****[COOLING QUESTION A]  Is this overkill?  If it is, what would be adequate to ensure the computer runs cool and quiet?  A lower water cooling system?  More fans?  If it isn’t enough, should I get the chassis mod side window fans if it is not? 
*****[COOLING QUESTION B] Also, would getting the noise reduction stuff (particularly the padding) make the computer look like it has carpeting?  I have no idea what is involved in the sound reduction process, but it seems to me that if you do put down sound suppressant material in the computer, you sacrifice cooling and heat transference via the case itself.
*****[COOLING QUESTION C] If I do get the stage 6 cooling, do I even need the sound suppression material because the computer would be essentially running quieter in any case? 

[8. QUESTION ABOUT BOOSTING] For “boosting,” I opted for a stage 1 overclock on the processor, overclock on the video cards, and overclock on the memory , and a tweaking of the operating system.  Given the options I have, are these wise things to do?

Edited by VideCorSpoon - 04 Apr 2010 at 2:00pm
Bitmister View Drop Down

Quote Bitmister Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 2:07pm
k lets see if I can help u out a bit
1. no need for the 960 its best just to go with the 930 it can be overclocked the same as the 960 so that is just a waste

2. I would go with the evga one that would be your best bet

3. yeah that is a little over kill I would suggest the corsair 1000 watt psu and u will be good to go for sli

4.not really sure about this one sorry

5.no need for the killer xeno pro it is just a big rip off their is no difference between the killer xeno pro from a standard ethernet port

6.well I got one 480 myself but yeah with 2 u should be good to go no worries
mini questions yes the geforce 480 is a great card a little bit better than a 5870 and can almost match  ati 5970 plus nvidia has 3 way monitor support just like ati plus phys x as well as cuda so yeah I would highly suggest it as u can tell no love for ati srry just do not care for them

7.no need for the Areo cooler display as you can download apps to monitor your system which work just as good. Also no need for the upgrade to fans as they are quite loud. Also the sound suppression does not really help that much if I were you I would just save the money

as far as the overclocking the Cpu heck why not it is free lolErmm

besides the stuff I listed over all you have a great system that will last you many a year. And as always welcome to the Forums

Edited by Bitmister - 04 Apr 2010 at 2:17pm
I wish the ring had never come to me. So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us
satsunada View Drop Down

Quote satsunada Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 3:19pm
Hmm..
1. Bitmister is right.
2. EVGA is overall a better brand with good support.
3. 1200 watt is probably necessary given you're overclocking. The 480's gobble power like PacMan eats yellow pellets so any overclocking on them might lead to needing more than 1000W. It's a good safety precaution to go 1200W anyway because PSU degradation over time might lead to the 480's becoming unstable. That said, I have no idea what brand DS uses for the PSU's on the 1200W. If you call, they should be able to clarify and help you out.
4. First off, no good reason to put the OS on a 1 TB drive. It slows down search times and makes AV and other search functions a pain. You might be better of getting a decent SSD for the OS from a third-party and using the 1 TB drive for storage. All that power you have, it'd suck to have the bottleneck be the hard drive.
5. No good use for the Xeno Pro. Not with your rig anyway. It can't speed up how fast you get info from the ISP. Only the ISP can do that. So if they suck, your connection will suck. That said however, i'm not sure about the bittorrent stuff. It might be economical, if you're downloading so much, to invest in it so it can download stuff idly while the computer is mostly powered down. Though that's only an option if you download alot but it might pay for itself on electric bill payments alone if it can dodge using the CPU and the vid cards. If you do get it, make sure it's what you want. It'll eat up space that could be used for a sound card.
6. SLI'd 480's are super-powerful but it depends wildly on what your monitor is and what you want to do. The 470's are the budget option and not generally as good, if you have the cash, go 480's. May even want to see if you can get the EVGA 480's... i know they have Hydrocopper's for them too. Not sure the price though.
7.  a. yes it's a bit overkill. I'll agree with most of what BitMister said on this. However, you may want to look at getting some Gentle Typhoon fans (credit: Justinkerr) for the radiator as those seem to be very good. DS does allow for you to use outside parts in the build, just make sure you tell them.
     b. not sure, haven't seen anyone use it.
     c. You still have fans but not many and the vid cards are the main noise contributors so i'd say no, prolly not. It depends on how sensitive you are to noise.
If knowledge is power and power corrupts, then total knowledge corrupts totally.
satsunada View Drop Down

Quote satsunada Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 3:21pm
Mandatory questions though:

1. What is your budget for this thing?
2. What monitor resolution will you be using?
3. What are you going to be using the computer for?
If knowledge is power and power corrupts, then total knowledge corrupts totally.

Quote VideCorSpoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 5:10pm
First off, thank you bitmister and satsunada for the very informative posts.  I appreciate it. 

As far as question #1 is concerned, I suppose the consensus is to go with the 930 2.8 GHz processor rather than the 960 3.2 GHz.   My main concern is making sure the processor I have is going to be good (and powerful) for a longer period of time.  For example, if I overclock the 930, I would (from my limited understanding) get somewhere around or possibly a little bit more power than the 960.  But if I get the 960 (and overclock it), will that perform better than the 930 overclocked?  Honestly, I don’t know much about it, so any elaboration would be greatly appreciated.  

As far as question #2 is concerned, you guys are probably right about the EVGA board rather than the Asus.  I will have to look into the brand itself, but what you guys say about it leads me to believe it is definitely more reliable and popular.

As far as question #3 is concerned, I am definitely worried about under powering the system.  I want to have enough power to really run the system without any setbacks but also have a PC that does not consume that much amount of energy.  So I am still torn between the 1000 and 1200 watt power supply.  I did find a formula for calculating the correct amount of energy consumption, but I think that given all the intricate options (and especially the necessity for lead way in terms of excess power),  I will definitely take your advice satsunda and as DS to clarify or even tell me which power supply would be more than adequate.

As far as question #4
is concerned, I really appreciate this point.  I wondered whether or not a larger hard drive for the operating system would make the system slower overall.  It seems like it is better to get a smaller hard drive (most likely an SSD) and then do storage on the larger hard drives.

As far as question #5 is concerned, it seems more like the Xeno pro will not do my particular system any good.  It still looks like a great product, just probably not the best thing for me.

As far as question #6 is concerned, the 2x GTX 480 1.5GB’s sound just about right then.  

As far as question #7
is concerned, so basically do not upgrade the fans, don’t bother getting the aero touch because apps can manage that, and don’t bother with the sound suppression system?   To tell the truth, I think that the Stage 6 cooling system would do most of the work anyway, so the upgraded fans, the aero touch thing, and the sound suppression system would sorta be redundant.  Is this correct?

As to your questions in post #4 satsunada, my budget would be under $5500.  I don’t want to spend that much money on the system… but not too little where I am left wanting a short time later.  My screen resolution size right now is 1980x1080 on two screens of the same make (HP w2338h).  What I would be using it for varies widely.  I download a fair bit, I play the occasional PC game (total war, etc.), I use Adobe Photoshop CS4, Adobe After Effects, etc. for fun and profit, etc.  I just want to make sure that whatever I pick up down the road, the computer will be able to handle it, whatever that may be.

Edited by VideCorSpoon - 04 Apr 2010 at 5:14pm
Bitmister View Drop Down

Quote Bitmister Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 11:28pm
NpAngry that is what we are here for

1. yeah the 930 cpu will clock just as good as the 960 so just save a little cash and go with the 930

2.yeah Evga rocks

3.you can check out some videos on you tube 2 480's use just a little over 900 watts now that I think about it you might want to go with a 1200 watt psu although the guy on you tube who ran the test was using a 1000 watt psu but I guess better safe then sorry

4.I am still awaiting my computer from digital storm can't wait by the way but I hear that the SSD are a God sent if u can afford one. so example first drive would be a SSD and for second drive example a 1 tb segate hitachi western digital as second drive in raid 0

5.if you want to call it a productSmile check put some video's on you tube its no different from a ether net port. in another word its just a waste of 100 smackers

6. o most def u will bring the house down

7. yeah do not worry about the upgrade to fans or the noise suppression. yep your lc should have np keeping it coolEvil%20Smile just trying to save u some cash

as far as the only other thing I might suggest is like what I suggested on number 4 go with a SSD as main drive and 1tb as second in raid 0

besides that u have a wicked system. have any more questions feel free to ask will do my best to helpErmm rock on
I wish the ring had never come to me. So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 1:17am
1. you should go with a 930, cause with the oc there will be no difference between 975/960/930 oced to 3.7GHz.

2. depends on your needs, you want to go with evga they have the best support, the LE or 3x sli will give you all you need.

3. your psu is too much not for what you have listed but because what you have listed is overkill and half of it is pure waste of money you will see no performance gain from, but I will get in to this further with you, but we need to know your monitor's native resolution to see what you need.

4. with all the cases you get many HDD bays, cause remember you can always turn a 5.6" bay to a HDD bay also. Now remember you always want your OS drive to be easily accessible, specially if you want to backup that drive with cloning, you can add drives as you go that is the best bet but remember the HDD rule;

HDD1 = fast drive: os/apps/games

HDD2 = regular large drive: media/personal/work file storage

Don't fill up your HDD1 more then 50%, if think you will need more room for it then pick a bigger one.

the question is that what is the use of this pc and why do you need so much space?

look into external cases the have like 4 or 5 hotswap bays instead, that is what I do, I have so many HDDs I can't even tell you, the external multi HDD cases are great.

5. Killer Xeno Pro = pure waste of money, nothing will make a big change to your isp speed and such other then your isp. even with games it barely makes a difference.

6. again we can't really tell you what you need unless you tell us what your resolution is, this is very important, if your resolution is 1600 x 1200 for example, then the configuration you have is so much overkill that I could come in the middle of the night and remove half of the stuff and you would never even notice it the next day, unless I told you about it.

7. if you want ta truly quiet LC setup then you will need to pay and ask ds to use Scythe "Gentle Typhoon" on your rads, otherwise the stock fans they use on the rads are loud.

the fan upgrade fans are even louder, the touch 2000 is pure waste of money, it does not control all your fans, it does not report accurate temps as some free softwares do.

trap noise, trap heat, so the sound package is not a good idea.

8. the only boos you want is the oc on cpu. the only other things you want is ram fan only, no oc on gpu/ram and no tweak on os.

as soon as you tell us what the native resolution of your monitor is, I can show what you need to run games at max settings with high aa and af.

jaypeetee44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 5:54am
ShockedDST4ME,

Hate to butt in,however, he is using 2x 1920x1080 HP w 2338h monitors as he wrote.

BUT.......he seems to be into upgrading also, so future proofing may be the goal here......JPTOuch

Edited by jaypeetee44 - 05 Apr 2010 at 5:55am
Aventum X
IntelCore i9 11900K 3.5 GHz
Asus Prime 2590-P/MSI-A Pro
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz
1000W Semi-Modular 80+Gold
2xSSD M.2 1 TB Firecuda NVM X
GeForce RTX 3070 8GB VR Ready
H20 Cooling for Processor

Quote VideCorSpoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 1:27pm
Thanks everyone for these great bits of advice, I really do appreciate it.  Based on the consideration of everyone’s suggestions, I have revised my configuration list as follows;

------------------------V2 Configuration------------------------

Processor: Intel Core i7 960 3.2GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: !SALE: EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (150GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards
H20 Tube Color:Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Warranty: 4 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty (Highly Recommended)

Based off of everyone’s suggestions, I decided to;

1)    Probably stay with the 3.2 GHz Processor (sorry, it’s hard to shake the “no replacement for displacement” mentality.
2)    Stay with the EVGA motherboard
3)    Definitely keep the 1200 watt power supply
4)    Instead of going with a single 1TB hard drive for the operating system, I decided to go with a 150GB WD Velociraptor HDD and a single 1 TB WD HDD for storage (for now at least).  I think the velociraptor is probably a good middle ground between the slow and large HDD and the smaller/quicker (yet very expensive) SSD option for the operating system hard drive.
5)    Defintely nixing the xeno pro idea
6)    Definitely keeping the 2x GTX 480 1.5 GB video cards
7)    Nixed the sound suppression, aero fan control, and upgraded fans in favor of a complete replacement of all the fans with scythe gentle typhoon fans.  After researching them, it makes all the sense in the world to spend the extra money and replace the stock fans.  
8)    Only doing the CPU boost and a memory fan kit w/o the memory overclocking.  I suppose 12 GB of ram is enough, and I don’t want to overstress anything leading to potential downtime.

---------------------------------Special notes for technician--------------------------------------

What I am trying to do now is compile a list of things beyond the standard list to give the technician.  This is what I have been able to come up with;

1.    Special request #1: I want all fans replaced with “scythe gentle typhoon” fans for quiet operation.
2.    Special request #2: I want a 2nd fan installed under the hot-swappable hard drive fan.
3.    I want the two hard drives installed on the bottom section leaving the top 4 hot-swappable bays free for future use.
4.    I want the dvd rom and multi card reader installed in the 2nd from the bottom bay and third from the bottom bay (dvdrom on top/card reader on bottom) (for aesthetic purposes)

Is there any other special requests, etc. I should mention or do?

This actually brings me to another point I would like to get anyone’s opinion on.  I understand from quite a few reviews that the temperature buildup in the 800D (i.e. hailstorm) is surprisingly high.  Something to do with how there is one obstructed intake at the bottom and too many exhaust fans in the main area.   One solution I thought would help is installing a second cooling fan under the hot-swappable drives for extra airflow.   The second (and please give me your thoughts on this) is the reversal of the rear fan to become an intake.  I did this little picture to illustrate what I mean (the white square and circle is the extra fan I wanted to put in).  

It seems to me that as large as the venting area is at the top, and given that the design is intended to draw cool air from the bottom and discharge warm air from the top, then reversing the rear fan seems the best thing to do.   This one review of the case in particular on overclock3d.net (on youtube the “corsair obsidian 800D review Part 5” stated that after 30 minutes of heavy load, the temperature in the lower part of the main zone of the case reached 85 degrees.  I don’t know if this is particularly hot for the inside of a case in general but the guy seemed pretty concerned.  He noted that by switching around the rear fan so that it became an intake of cold air, the inside temperatures reduced dramatically.  Now, I don’t know if I really need to do this considering that I have a stage six cooling option, but in principle, I would still need to optimize airflow.

Which brings me to another point, which is that if I do do a switching of the rear fan to an intake, then I am relying totally on the upper parts of the chassis for ventilation.  A BIG QUESTION is whether or not the stage six cooling radiator sucks in air from the top into the system or blows air out from of the system.  Does anyone know what direction the airflow is on the stage 6 H20 system?

Edited by VideCorSpoon - 05 Apr 2010 at 1:31pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 3:45pm
VideCorSpoon your config looks great minus few things that are pure waste of money and by that I mean if I came in the middle of the night to take those out you would never notice:

I can change your 960 with a 930 and you would never notice the difference when they are oced.

12GB of ram ram is pure waste and will put more stress on your controller, yes sometimes more can be a bit of trouble, not to mention that no game will ever need 12GB of ram, 6GB is more then enough.

1200w psu is pure waste also, but if want some head room for gpu oc or something like that, then go with the enermax, don't get the DS psu.

the rest of your build looks great

the money you save from the pointless ram and 960 spend on getting better waterblocks for the gpu and better rad that works well with low cfm fans like the gentle typhoon.

good EK makes great waterblocks for gpu or you can try swiftech, and for rad, feser or XSPC (RX) are good ones.

as for the way you want the airflow setup, that is not a great idea, first off your rads go on top and they should blow air in, the exchust is suppose to blow air out and like it is in teh normal airflow.

some of the place you have/want fans are the possible:

you are too worried about temps, with the changes mentioned you temps will be great, airflow is not that big of a deal cause the case is setup to get ride of the heat you get, so don't worry about the fans and airflow so much, worry about what rads and etc instead, they will make a bigger difference then fans and modified airflow.

also when you start to change this cases's stock fans, pay attention to which fans are 140mm so that you don't change them with a 120mm, that will give you less airflow, on that note, all the fans that the 800d uses are 140mm.

Edited by DST4ME - 05 Apr 2010 at 3:48pm

Quote VideCorSpoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 5:23pm
DST4ME,

For the processor, I am starting to see where you are coming from.  I am reading on various other forums as well that the 930 is basically the same as the 960 aside from a slightly higher clock speed.  Other than that, both have the 8mb smart cache, core number, bus speed, etc. (and keep in mind that I have no idea what I am talking about, this is just a blind numbers comparison).  And if I understand the whole process correctly, the clock speed will be change in either case to a higher level anyway (because I have opted for over clocking), so that negates the only difference between the two.  Is this reasoning correct, or is there any other detail that would make this even more substantiated?  

For the 12 GB of Ram, I do use adobe photoshop, adobe after effects, and other software that consume a lot of the computers powers that be.  Do you think that 6 GB of memory (the next lowest option) would be adequate for what I do?  My current computer uses 4 GB and it takes forever to render, etc.  But the computer also sucks in all other respects, so maybe the Ram is not to blame.  

For the 1200 watt PSU, do you think that 1200 watts (given what I have in my system) is too much power?  I also see where you are coming from suggesting the enermax unit.  Some say that it is a little bit quieter.  

Now you make it sound as though the H20 stage 6 system is not completely adequate (or could be better).    What would your ranked recommendations be for a better radiator (to work better with the gentle typhoon fans) and waterblocks.   Heck, is there a better water cooling system out there than the one I opted for?  You mentioned EK, swifttech, and for the radiator feser or XSPC.  What would you suggest would be your first pick for each?

As to the airflow setup, the information about the radiator taking air into the case makes the exhaust fan at the back the only one as far as I can tell.  So I will definitely be nixing the idea of flipping around the rear fan.  

As far as fans are concerned, two of my main objectives are that they be adequate and quiet.  I understand that the scythe gentle typhoon is the most quiet and most efficient.  Is there a different brand that makes less sound and better performance?  

Also, in your opinion, is it worthwhile getting the memory fan kit?

This is the 3rd configuration taking into account your suggestions.

------------------------V3 Configuration------------------------
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Power Supply: 1250W Enermax Galaxy EVO (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (150GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards & Chipset
H20 Tube Color:Black Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)

The changes from version 2 are;

1.    Changed from 3.2 to 2.8 GHz processor.
2.    Changed to 1250 Watt enermax PSU
3.    Upgraded the H20 Stage 6 to include CPU, dual sli video cards, and chipset.

Edited by VideCorSpoon - 05 Apr 2010 at 5:28pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 5:14am
they are the same chip, each just passed at a certain clock, but as when you oc them, its the same chip, now with the same clock speed, so there is no difference.

as far as ram goes, I would do this, first I'm not sure what cpu you are using but the i7 oced, will defenitly get it done faster, second we go with 6GB, if you see that you need the ram then you can always add 6 more GB to make it 12GB, but if you don't need 12GB, then you don't want to get it, so just go with 6GB and see how that goes, with win7 pro, you system will be able to use 24GB of ram, so you got plenty of room to upgrade.

we recommend the corsair or enermax mainly because of quality and reliability, so that is why you should go with those, being quiet and etc are icing on the cake.

if you are going with 2 x 480 and might oc them or like some head room then the enermax 1250w is what you want.

I pointed out EK or swifttech and for the radiator feser or XSPC (RX) cause there is not much of a difference between the 2, both are good, I like feser but the xspc (Rx) is great also, same with gpu waterblocks and EK and swiftech, in short take your pic.

the LC system is basically different parts put together, the subzero LC system is good but its not quiet and yes it can be made to be better, get a dual or better yet triple rad for teh cpu and a dual or triple rad for the cpus and you got yourself a monster LC system, justin has a thread in teh general section called the Drunken Monkey part 5, he had like 5 or more rads in that system of his, for example that is a major LC system and will have great temps, so any LC system can be made better, depends how far you willing to take it and how much you willing to dish out, now for a gamer the subzero is a good LC system. but if you want quiet and better performance, then the mentioned gpu water blocks and rads ( go with dual or triple) and fans will give better performance and do so with much less noise.

I put a triple 14cm rad( fits 140mm fans, instead of the norm size of 12cm which fits 120mm)with my 4 x 295 and a triple feser for my cpu. I used EK waterblocks, the xspc (RX) and the swiftech water blocks will give you the same performance or tad bit better possibly, we are talking 1c or 2c here, so you see there is no real difference between them.

for rads the gentle typhoon is great but for the case fans I would use something like the Nexus 120mm real silent case fans, or look for fans that have similar cfm and dba.

the fan kit is nice to have, its only like $35 bucks so I say its good to have.

as for your config:

drop the 12GB to 6GB, you can add more later if needed.

the 150GB veloci is not as fast as the 300GB, why not just go with a 1TB HDD now and then upgrade to ssd later.

there is no need for chipset cooling on stage 1 is a waste.

not sure if you want the os tweak, you may need some of the services that would be disabled.

drop from ultimate win7 to win7 pro, its got all you need.

the rest looks good

Quote VideCorSpoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 12:26pm
So in a revised configuration, I got rid of the chipset cooling option since as you say, with the stage one, it seems like a waste in any case for just a stage one over clock which I do agree.  I read a few reviews about chipset water cooling and the guys that do do it do some pretty hardcore things anyway.   I nixed the OS tweaking because you are right to point out that there may be some things I need (which I would have no earthly idea how to reinstate).  

As far as the hard drives are concerned, I agree that an SSD would be a lot faster and more efficient.  But maybe the 150 GB Velociraptor would be good enough for the OS since its small and (judging from the superficial numbers) relatively fast.  

However, I think I’ll stick with the 12GB memory just in case, to make sure I have enough and that I don’t have to mess around with it in the future.  I am also going to inquire how much more time and money would be required to switch the water blocks with more efficient ones, as well as the radiator.  Seems prudent to me, so we’ll have to see what the DS tech guy has to say on the matter.

Awesome, I think this just about does it for the configuration of the system.   Here is the final version;

------------------------V4 (Final?) Configuration------------------------

Power Supply: 1250W Enermax Galaxy EVO (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
H20 Tube Color:Black Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Is there anything else that should added or subtracted, requested, etc.?
  I have not dealt with Digital Storm before, and I have tried the “request help” option and the “live chat” and asked some basic question to which I have yet to get a response.  It sounds from other reviews as though they only respond when you call them directly.  That seems rather troubling consider how much money people pay on average for their systems.  

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 6:02pm
"Internal Lighting: - No Thanks"

the above option needs to be changed to uv light so that it brings out the uv color of your tubes, otherwise uv tubes are pointless.

well I have not called them lately, just been emailing about my system, and they have been very good with it, they are a quality company which why I decided to give them 10 grand of my money to build a pc for me, with pretty much the modification I advised you, except I went for different fans cause noise is not an issue for me and I wanted some specific fans for their light, I also used a high cfm rad for the gpus so it needed high cfm fans that are going to be loud, but if I were to build a quiet pc here, the parts I mentioned to you is what I would use.

anyways my point is that, their getting back to the customer can use some help from time to time, but if you get in contact with the right people you should be good to go.

for your sales and sales related things call Sarah at 1-866-817-8676 Extension: 115 and she will set you up or email her: [email protected]

once you got the computer if you have any trouble, just email management here:

[email protected]

I'm a very picky customer, you can even ask DS if you like, so I don't just go with anybody, for a company to have me on their forum all day helping people and to have my support, it has to be a company that understands how important customers are, and I feel DS is that company, they are small so I look pass them not getting back to me right away from time to time or calling and having to leave a message,I also have to look at this way, do I want this pc to cost 5 grand more and every time I call somebody answers, or am I willing to be patient with communication from time to but have a pc that costs what it should? for me I'm willing to be patient and besides, if you use the contacts I gave you, you should have no problems.

ok back to the build, it looks great, again I think a 300GB veloci is better, there should not be a huge difference between 150GB veloci and a good 32MB cache 1TB HDD, there will be a bigger difference between the same 1TB HDD and a 300GB veloci.

honestly its really 2 minutes worth of work, just go with a 1TB for HDD1 now and then in a few month get a good ssd for a good price and dump it in, you can follow my clone guide that will show you how to move the os and everything all at once in one move from the 1TB to the new ssd. you can follow my clone guide here

so change your light, keep the 12GB if that is what you think you will need, and either go with 300gGB veloci or just save your money for a ssd down the road, which IMO Is the best option.

don't worry about the time it takes to change the rads, it will cost more tho cause they have to order them and then wait for them to get there. you will probably pay extra for labor and whatever the parts cost, there cost wit for you with DS is gonna be more. OR you can order the parts yourself and ship them to DS, that way it will be cheaper for you.
jaypeetee44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 7:40am

Shocked Actually, Win 7 Pro will handle either 96 or 128 gigs of memory (can't remember which); the limiting factor is the mobo. DS sent me a list of the disabled functions in the OS and I still havn't found the need for them to this day. They are easily reactivated if I ever need the fax or pad functions. I specified NO disabling of the backup functions and , of course, DS complied. they are a custom builder so you can get most anything you want; just ask.....JPTOuch 

Edited by jaypeetee44 - 08 Apr 2010 at 7:44am
Aventum X
IntelCore i9 11900K 3.5 GHz
Asus Prime 2590-P/MSI-A Pro
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz
1000W Semi-Modular 80+Gold
2xSSD M.2 1 TB Firecuda NVM X
GeForce RTX 3070 8GB VR Ready
H20 Cooling for Processor

Quote VideCorSpoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 3:25pm
I appreciate all the help everyone has given me (especially DST4ME) with my configuration.  As of an hour ago I placed my order with Digital storm and the “Update – Stage 1” notification was just sent to me.  Lord knows I love toys, especially the expensive ones.  After considering what was suggested and talking with the rep/technician, this is the final configuration;

--------------------------------Final Configuration--------------------------------

Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Video Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
CPU Boost: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Memory Boost: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In all, I started out with a configuration totaling $5,219.  I went through 5 draft configurations over the course of 4+ days, and ended up up with a system totaling $4,812.  A major thing to point out to prospective customers is that using the forum can be very beneficial for you, especially since the members are so knowledgeable about the computer powers that be.  I ended up saving a little under 8% on my overall purchase with no regrets.  A big lesson learned is that bigger and most expensive is not always better (in the case of the intel processor for example).

When the PC is delivered, expect a shiz-ton of high-resolution Digital storm computer pron with the review.   And thanks again to everyone!

Edited by VideCorSpoon - 08 Apr 2010 at 3:48pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by VideCorSpoon

A big lesson learned is that bigger and most expensive is not always better

you nailed it on the head

config looks great

Our pleasure and congrats

can't wait for the pics and specs

Quote VideCorSpoon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 10:09pm
Currently, I'm at the stage 3 - phase 1 integration point. As of 4/12/10, the order has been in process for 5 days (of a 15 day estimate till shipping).  As of the last notification, they gave me an estimate of 5-7 days (barring any particular problems of course).  So superficially, it seems as though digital storm has a very efficient (and fast) assembly and notfication system (original shipping estimate 4/27 compared to the updated stage 3 estimate of 4/19, an 8 day difference). 

I have to say for for any prospective customers though, I love the way digital storm updates you on where the build is exactly and the notifications they give you.  Sweet bejezus does it increase the suspense.  
Zimbawan View Drop Down

Quote Zimbawan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 10:28pm
Mine hit stage 7 today. Suspense is higher than ever. I just hope it gets to me in one piece!

Edited by Zimbawan - 12 Apr 2010 at 10:28pm
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by jaypeetee44

ShockedDST4ME,

Hate to butt in,however, he is using 2x 1920x1080 HP w 2338h monitors as he wrote.

BUT.......he seems to be into upgrading also, so future proofing may be the goal here......JPTOuch

Dual w2338h?! ARRGGH IM SO JEALOUS Smile

That's what I originally wanted in a monitor. Then again, I found another monitor with an even more ridiculous contrast ratio lol, with touch-screen capabilities.

Originally posted by VideCorSpoon

I have to say for for any prospective customers though, I love the way digital storm updates you on where the build is exactly and the notifications they give you.  Sweet bejezus does it increase the suspense.  

I know, it's so freaking suspenseful once the delivery gets out.

Edited by ablahblah - 12 Apr 2010 at 10:38pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 2:01am
@VideCorSpoon, ya they are pretty good at it.

@Zimbawan, its time to pray to the shipping gods
 Post Reply Post Reply