FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First time DSer; looking at Vanquish 1-3

Post Date: 2014-01-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
WhiskeyGuy View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote WhiskeyGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: First time DSer; looking at Vanquish 1-3
    Posted: 12 Jan 2014 at 11:34am
Budget:
[$1,000 max]

Expectations:
[I plan to run two monitors at 1920 resolution.]

Usage:
[Primarily MMORPG gaming, although I will watch some movies and do some work on it (Word documents, PDFs, many open web pages). I'd like a computer that runs WoW, Mass Effect, Diablo 3, Elder Scrolls Online, and Wildstar (which I expect/hope to play the most of these games) at constant 60 FPS or higher on "High" graphics settings.]

Saved Ticket #: [Please Type Here]

Specifications:
[Please Type Here]

Hello Community,

I have an Alienware m17x R3 that I bought two years ago. It already cannot run WoW at higher than "Low" settings without serious FPS fluctuations. Ditto for Diablo 3. A costly mistake, but lesson learned. I've read glowing reviews of DS, so I'm hoping to clarify a few things before deciding which system to get.

I'm looking into the Vanquish level 1, 2, and 3. I anticipate playing mostly MMORPGS with this computer, particularly Wildstar, and I'd like to run those games at "High" settings with a constant 60 FPS or higher (I sit quite close to my monitor and therefore notice drops below 60). 1920 resolution and two monitors.

I'd appreciate any advice, anecdotes, or benchmarks that speak to these particular games or similar games.

Also, I have never had a cooling system, and I notice the L3 features one. Will this cooling system require more maintenance/upkeep/cleaning than a system without one? I am NOT computer savvy--never built my own machine and I rarely tinker with my computers' hardware.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by WhiskeyGuy - 12 Jan 2014 at 11:37am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2014 at 1:11pm
Hi WhiskeyGuy... Welcome to the forums.

The Vanquish 2 is the least I would consider for gaming. It is only a dual core cpu but has a very good R9-270 video card. Medium to high gaming in general is possible, depending on the game.

The Vanquish 3 would be my pick for gaming on your monitor with another monitor open for other tasks. It's gtx 760 is about 10% better gaming than R9-270 , plus has a 4 core cpu, after market cpu cooler and a stronger psu.   The Hyper 212 cooler is excellent. Being an air cooler, it's no upkeep, and little to go wrong. Just metal fins dissipating the heat with a fan for cooling.

Hope this helps.

You won't have any problem running Diablo 3 on your monitor at high or better with high fps with either the Vanquish 2 or 3. The other games I'm not sure but don't see any issues. If you game on both monitors, still good but more rendering for the rig.

Edited by bprat22 - 12 Jan 2014 at 1:30pm

Quote WhiskeyGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2014 at 5:40pm
Thanks for your thoughts, bprat. I'll look more closely at the level 3

On a related note, do I need to upgrade my monitor so that I can see everything I'd be paying for in a new desktop? My current monitor is: http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-s2330mx-23-inch/4505-3174_7-34859190.html

Edited by WhiskeyGuy - 12 Jan 2014 at 5:59pm
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 3:21am
I think the monitor you have will probably do just fine with your new desktop. No need in changing a perfectly good monitor judging by the monitor specs unless you really want/need to upgrade.

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 13 Jan 2014 at 8:24am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12

Quote WhiskeyGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 10:40pm
Dear Community,

I pulled the trigger and bought a Vanquish 3! Typing from it now!

I had a few quick questions I'm hoping someone might have thoughts on.

When I first turned on my computer, I noticed that my monitor would now show the desktop while I had my HDMI cable plugged into the computer. However, when I instead used a DVI cable and plugged it into the graphics card, the monitor worked great. My questions:
(1) is there no way to use HDMI (there is no HDMI on my graphics card)?
(2) which type of cable is "best"--DVI, HDMI, something else?
(3) I'm currently using a cable that has DVI/HDMI ends with a HDMI to DVI converter on one end. Am I limiting my graphics potential by relying on a converter?
(4) I'm thinking of getting a second monitor--do you recommend any good for gaming? I currently use this dell and am eyeing this Azus--would it be an upgrade?

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VS247H-P-23-6-Inch-Full-HD-LED-Lit/dp/B005BZNDS0/ref=lp_1292115011_1_1/182-8029993-7265820?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1393829203&sr=1-1

http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-s2330mx/pd

Thank you!

Edited by WhiskeyGuy - 02 Mar 2014 at 11:28pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 3:04am
Your gtx 760 doesn't have a hdmi port?   Make sure it's not covered by a plastic cap.

Either hdmi or dvi work for most.   Hdmi passes audio and dvi doesn't but other than that, shouldn't matter.

If you were plugging into the motherboard's hdmi port then that explains why it didn't work. With a video card the motherboard ports are disabled.    

danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 7:51am
It maybe a mini-HDMI or micro-HDMI, which would usually come with an mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter. Here is a photo of the different types of HDMI connectors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HDMI_Connector.jpg

Edited by danjw1 - 03 Mar 2014 at 7:52am
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 8:21am
It should have a regular HDMI port on it. I don't think I've seen a 760 without it...

Ports are as follows from left to right: Display Port, HDMI, DVI-D (top), DVI-I (bottom)

Edited by fstcvc - 03 Mar 2014 at 8:23am
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling

Quote WhiskeyGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 9:28am
Thanks for your help. You're right: there is an HDMI slot in the video card.

Are the video ports in the motherboard useless?
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Online Status: Online
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 9:34am
Originally posted by WhiskeyGuy

I believe that's what bprat was referring to when he said:

Originally posted by bprat22

With a video card the motherboard ports are disabled.

...and I'm certainly glad that you asked that question before I had to... thank you.  Big%20Smile
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 10:07am
Yep, the mobo's video ports nestled among the USB, audio, etc are disabled when a graphic card is installed.   It is a good question and does come up. 

Have fun. Big%20Smile
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 10:15am

No, they should work, as long as you have the CPUs GPU is enabled in the BIOS and the appropriate video driver is installed for that GPU.

Mostly, people won't use the CPU's GPU when a discrete graphics card is installed. Though if you want to use Quicksync for transcoding video, it can be useful to have it on. Haswell had a regression in regard to Quicksync, but older Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPUs work well in this mode.

Edited by danjw1 - 03 Mar 2014 at 10:23am

Quote WhiskeyGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 12:39pm
Thanks all! You've saved me a great deal of time.

I have one final question: now that I've moved from a laptop, I'm in the market for a second monitor to use to browse the web, gchat, etc. while gaming on my main. My current monitor is this Dell and I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a better gaming monitor, such as the Asus below, or just a very basic monitor to use as my secondary monitor and keep my Dell as my main.

Dell: http://www.dell.com/...dell-s2330mx/pd

Asus: http://goo.gl/XR5pwH

Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 1:18pm

I have one final question: now that I've moved from a laptop, I'm in the market for a second monitor to use to browse the web, gchat, etc. while gaming on my main. My current monitor is this Dell and I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a better gaming monitor, such as the Asus below, or just a very basic monitor to use as my secondary monitor and keep my Dell as my main.

Unless you're very into high-speed PvP in your MMOs, I don't think you'll see a host of benefits from going with a high-refresh gaming monitor (120/144Hz); they're generally more useful for those who playing twitch-style FPS titles such as Call of Duty or Team Fortress 2.

If you do upgrade, I'd recommend a modern IPS display with decent input lag and g2g ratings, such as the P2414H. (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_p2414h.htm). This should give you all the responsiveness you need for RPG gaming, while giving a big boost to image quality - IPS does have significantly better color and viewing angles than your typical TN display.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Counsel

Unless you're very into high-speed PvP in your MMOs, I don't think you'll see a host of benefits from going with a high-refresh gaming monitor (120/144Hz); they're generally more useful for those who playing twitch-style FPS titles such as Call of Duty or Team Fortress 2.

If you do upgrade, I'd recommend a modern IPS display with decent input lag and g2g ratings, such as the P2414H. (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_p2414h.htm). This should give you all the responsiveness you need for RPG gaming, while giving a big boost to image quality - IPS does have significantly better color and viewing angles than your typical TN display.

You can still play Tf2 on a 60hz monitor though
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Counsel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Counsel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 10:56am
Originally posted by ArkansasWoman777

You can still play Tf2 on a 60hz monitor though

Absolutely. And honestly, unless you're an FPS junkie with serious twitch reflexes, you're unlikely to get any improvement in your game results between a top-grade 60Hz IPS and a gamer-focused 120/144Hz TN.
 Post Reply Post Reply