Post Date: 2014-11-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Fine Tuning My Build
    Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 11:36am
Hey Folks,
I may be looking to pull the trigger this week on a rig.  Please see my build below.  I may drop the 2 TB Hard drive and just use the 1TB SSD.  That should be more than enough storage I think (I don't do movies or music on my PC).  With regard to RAM, I just left the default from the system I used as a starting basis.  I think 32GB overkill probably.  Correct?  Also, what RAM speed should I choose.  With regard to a soundcard, I'm going with motherboard sound as I've heard this is pretty much the same except for aficionados.  I think I'll still be able to add a card after if need be without any negative impact on the system - correct?  Any input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1100611

Chassis Model: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540

Core Components

Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X 3.0GHz (Eight-Core) (Extreme Performance)

Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V (Intel X99 Chipset)

System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)

Power Supply: 1200W Corsair AX1200i (Digitally Controlled Power)

Storage / Connectivity

Optical Drive: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 PRO)

Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Black Edition)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia

Graphics Card(s): 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering

Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)

H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected

Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology

Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)

Software

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)

Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care

Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 11:57am
16GB of RAM would be good enough for games in the near future...it depends on if the trend for the size of the virtual environment the games run and the reference library for all of the textures, etc. they use keep on increasing, maybe 32GB will be needed.

I agree with the dropping of the 2TB drive. Besides, SSD prices are still coming down (although at a decreasing rate), but 2TB SSD's should be available in a near future (the newest consumer NAND controllers now can handle capacities that large).
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 1:54pm
Hi Dax... Looks like a dynamite rig to me.       Just me, but I would pocket $800 and drop to 16gb ram and the 5930k chip.   For ram speed, your choice is good. The higher speed might cause issues anyways and not much gain.

Looks great as is, so really up to you.

Best of luck.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 11:37am
Hmmm, so I think I'll drop to 16GB.  I'm figuring this is an easy upgrade down the road and more than likely as the DDR4 RAM mature, the timings will improve and I could swap it out/add more.  I'm not sure really what to do with the storage.  I could just drop to a 512GB and keep the 2 TB drive (this would probably save a little more cash) or should I just drop the 2TB and keep the 1TB SSD?

As for the 5930K vs. 5960X chip, the 5930K is probably a smarter / more prudent choice.  However, as I'll probably use this PC for another 8 years (lol - that's how old my current machine is), I'm figuring it may be more prudent to go 8 core than 6 core if that makes sense.  I may drop the overclock down to stage 1 though.   Also, is the Air 540 the best air cooled case offered by DS?

I know some of these are personal preference but I'm curious as to what people think.  Thanks as always for the sound advice!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 11:51am
I believe the Velox is the best air cooled case here.   It has the front, 3x 140mm fans  and 2x 140mm fans on the side, blowing air right onto the cards.  Plus the back and top, either your rad or the case fans themselves.

Air 540 is no slouch.  Great cooling. 
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 2:32pm
Hi Dax Doomslayer,

If you are not heavy in video editing you don't need 32Gb of memory. Certainly don't need it for gaming. I think the 16Gb is a good choice.

For a gaming rig the 5930K has everything you need. Eight cores now, or in the forseeable future, is not going to help much with gaming. Now if you want the most powerful CPU and have the money, who wouldn't want a 5960X.

The best air flow case is the DS Velox. It is a full size case and the 540 is a mid-tower with two intake fans and 1 exhaust fan. No comparison to the cooling flexibility of the Velox.

Take a look at this picture. Fans on the front, fans on the top, fans on the side. So many options for cooling. Your three 980s will be happy campers in the Velox case.

You are going to have a great computer.

Frank

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 5:48pm
Hmmm - is the Velox a custom case created by DS?  I want to see if I can read any reviews on it.  If it's custom, I'm probably S.O.L. but if it is a Corsair case or something, maybe I can compare.  Also, do we know what brand / model fans are used in the Velox?

Edited by Dax Doomslayer - 29 Nov 2014 at 6:08pm
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 6:19pm
Custom DS case...the upgraded fans are Corsair, but not sure what the default fans are (various like memory? anybody know?)
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Dax Doomslayer

Hmmm - is the Velox a custom case created by DS?  I want to see if I can read any reviews on it.  If it's custom, I'm probably S.O.L. but if it is a Corsair case or something, maybe I can compare.  Also, do we know what brand / model fans are used in the Velox?

The Velox is an in house case that DS designed just like The Bolt and The Aventum
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 6:52am
Thanks folks.  That's what I thought about the Velox being a custom case.  Hmm - I've had the big tower cases the last couple of times and I actually really like the way the Air 540 looks and every review I've read is pretty glowing especially for air flow.  In addition, the hot swappable drive bays are nice especially if I want to add a drive down the line (I'm probably only going to go with 1 850 Pro (1TB).  Also, to compound it, the Velox is out of stock as of now it looks. 

That said, I was wondering if the Air 540 can be modded / built so that the window is the top and not the side.  I would think that this would be pretty cool looking but I'm wondering what the cost and how much effort this would take and if it is worth it...
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 7:17am
Originally posted by Dax Doomslayer

Thanks folks.  That's what I thought about the Velox being a custom case.  Hmm - I've had the big tower cases the last couple of times and I actually really like the way the Air 540 looks and every review I've read is pretty glowing especially for air flow.  In addition, the hot swappable drive bays are nice especially if I want to add a drive down the line (I'm probably only going to go with 1 850 Pro (1TB).  Also, to compound it, the Velox is out of stock as of now it looks.  That said, I was wondering if the Air 540 can be modded / built so that the window is the top and not the side.  I would think that this would be pretty cool looking but I'm wondering what the cost and how much effort this would take and if it is worth it...

you can do what some people have done on overclock.net and just have the case facing on its side with the window side on top but of course get some leg stands so the psu can have room to breathe
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 7:19am
The Air 540 is one of my favorites and is the top contender for any new build.   Just a different look and a little more squared off.

You could sit the case on it's right side with window up.  Unless you have a water cooled setup with resevoir, then no problem.  Just have to move the feet to the right panel to give the psu some intake space.

Dang it, Arkansas...beat me again.  HahahaBig%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 30 Nov 2014 at 7:20am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 8:57am
Hi Dax Doomslayer,

If you like the looks then go for it.

If the power supply will intake from the bottom you need good clearance. I would be afraid that it would suck in more, maybe even too much dust from the bottom. I know when I clean my computer there is always a bunch of dust under the case.

Frank
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 9:49am
Originally posted by bprat22

The Air 540 is one of my favorites and is the top contender for any new build.   Just a different look and a little more squared off.You could sit the case on it's right side with window up.  Unless you have a water cooled setup with resevoir, then no problem.  Just have to move the feet to the right panel to give the psu some intake space.Dang it, Arkansas...beat me again.  HahahaBig%20Smile

"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Post Reply Post Reply