FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Final Build on New Gamer-- any suggestions?

Post Date: 2014-11-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kaelara View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kaelara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Final Build on New Gamer-- any suggestions?
    Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 9:22pm
Budget:
3500-5000 for right now

Expectations:
I really do not want to upgrade in the next 2 yrs and I would love to not have something major go bad.. last gamer custom build my MOBO went bad.

Usage:
Heavy gaming long sessions esp on weekends. Mainly WoW, COD/ Crysis Halo, though may consider others

Special Needs:
Biggest problem for me. is heat, I live in Texas , and well the summers can get hot, even the A/C is not always enough. Second issue is Wght last gamer topped out at over 75lbs with permanent injury to my left arm, I simply can not lift or move that kind of wght... sad since when I was young I Used to sling 80-120lb bales of hay :(

Here is what I have so far it comes in at just a bit over 4500$

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty (4 Year Labor & 2 Year Part Replacement)

This might allow me to get another 28inch Monitor

any changes. and if so why I decided not to go watercooling for now. but it is something that I might consider as an upgrade down the line

And I am hoping to have this ordered this weekend.

Thanks in advance guys
Kaelara

Velox
Asus X99 Rampage V
Intel i7-5820k 3.3
16G DD4 2800Mhz Ram
2x SLI Dual Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB Asus Strix Edition
Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler

blackcatfoe View Drop Down

Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 11:54pm
Others can chime in as well but you didn't mention what resolution you game at. 1080p? 1440p? 4k? This would help the community to recommend the best setup for your money.

For example I see you play Crysis that is a very demanding game but you mainly play WoW. If your playing on higher then 1080p for example a 980 SLI setup would make sense for any gamer who plays a list of various types of titles but at 1080p you could settle for an 970 SLI setup since 980's are overkill on a 1080p setup. MMO's rarely will take advantage of a SLI setup let alone make a pair of 980's work a sweat. at that resolution 

In the end you cant go wrong with a pair of 980's but in my opinion unless playing at least 40% of your gametime to non MMO titles like FPS (Crysis) a pair of 980's at any resolution would be wasted on titles like WoW if this is any gamers primary gametime. The overall performance increase per cost would not be adding value to your purchase for gameplay.

You didn't mention any non gaming apps you plan to use. If you plan on doing other things at the same time such as streaming, recording, rendering, etc.a six core would make sense if the app your using takes advantage of the extra cores. You should reference the app developer to see if will take advantage. Games curretly do not make use of a six or more core CPU. Heck only a handfull of todays titles will utalize quad core CPU's.

If all you do is just gaming with most of your time in WoW I would settle with Devils Canyon quad core CPU. Six or Eight core only make sense if you use an app(s) that needs the extra cores or you need the extra PCI lanes for 3 or 4 way SLI setup. The money you save on the CPU setup you can invest in some decent gaming 1440p 27'+ or higher monitors. 970 SLI on 1440 would be fine but if 4k would recommend 980 SLI.

In the end it is your money but I would focus on more on the video cards and some decent quality monitors. Monitors will last you a long time and while video cards usally will need to be upgraded in about 2-3 years your CPU can last at least four years in most cases. Unlike video cards games tend to slowly take advantage of newer CPU's as time progresses. Big%20Smile

Edited by blackcatfoe - 25 Nov 2014 at 11:57pm
Kaelara View Drop Down

Quote Kaelara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 12:30am
Well My monitor is old and yes is the next thing on my list to replace.. It will be replaced by 2 4K monitors. Since My gamer has been sitting idle with a bad MoBO for the past year.. Anything will be an improvement.

That said my game time is fairly split between my FPS and WoW and with WoW I do multi box... not that you need a pair of 980s to do that.

My Last graphics card was the GTX 485 and it ran both my monitors just fine but not at high resolution settings

if you asked me how much I Play WoW VS Crysis.. right now WoW dominates but only because WoD was just released as the expact gets older my playtime tends to move over towards Crysis...

My Other hobby is Photography.. Mainly just changing over my Nikon N80 to a full digital model.. so I am less certain what I will need to support going full digitial in this hobby.. still doing my research.

Any suggestions on good monitor 28 inch or larger, understand I will need 2 of them?

If moving down to the I-5 means a savings of 500$ or More I would consider it, I did not change out the processor as it was what the build came with.

Thanks for the suggestions
Kaelara

Velox
Asus X99 Rampage V
Intel i7-5820k 3.3
16G DD4 2800Mhz Ram

 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 12:48am
Playing Crysis on dual 4k monitors?

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GTX-980-3-Way-and-4-Way-SLI-Performance/Crysis-3

If you want to do that, you may need to bump up your spec to an Aventum II with dual power supplies to handle 8-way Crossfire with 4 R9 295X2 cards.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 12:53am
BTW, I'm saying that with a little tongue-in-cheek...I have a UHD TV with a single 970 FTW. I have played Assassin's Creed Unity, but at 1080p resolution. I have had it up to 2160p and lowest settings for everything else, but it was still choppy at best.
Kaelara View Drop Down

Quote Kaelara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 1:03am
My Last gamer was a full AMD build initially built around an Asus 7990 when the first card came in DOA I requested a replacement, when the second one also came in DOA and I was told to replace would mean a 6 week wait.... I changed over to the GTX 485 and while that was a while ago, it left a bad taste in my mouth

Now I do not have to have 2 4k monitors, it was just something I was considering.. and sounds like if that is what I want I will need more of a Computer than what my budget will allow. :)

Right now what I have is a 28 Inch Samsung 5000-1 HD monitor that is about 6 yrs old, Not sure if it would work and all I need is another Monitor to match it or if it would simply better off to get 2 new ones
Kaelara

Velox
Asus X99 Rampage V
Intel i7-5820k 3.3
16G DD4 2800Mhz Ram

blackcatfoe View Drop Down

Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 1:44am
While 4k monitors have gotten cheaper from a year ago getting two will run you just under $2k alone. You can get a good 4k monitor with gsync under $900. I plan on changing my duel 1080p monitor setup for a 4k sync monitor shortly and upgrade to 980 SLI. My second will still be a 1080p. Can always get another 4k monitor later as prices come down and video card hardware improve but for now expect to spend a small fortune for video card horsepower if going duel monitor 4k.
Kaelara View Drop Down

Quote Kaelara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 5:45pm
Okay any more advice before I pull the plug and buy?
Kaelara

Velox
Asus X99 Rampage V
Intel i7-5820k 3.3
16G DD4 2800Mhz Ram

Krudd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Krudd Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 7:16am
You might want to bump the second drive up to 2TB. SATA disks are cheap and I bet that extra 1TB will come in handy. Otherwise, looks like a great build.
 Post Reply Post Reply