Post Date: 2015-03-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
texx murphy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote texx murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Fastest SSD DS offers
    Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 1:54pm
I'm saving up for a new laptop (Krypton) Just curious which SSD you would pick? I was thinking Samsung Pro series.
armyslowrdr View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote armyslowrdr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 5:53pm
I know the Samsung Pro I am having put in the Apollo is top notch. I was about to build myself and already had that picked out based on the stellar things I've read.
Apollo "Viking"
I7 5930K, ASUS X99-DELUXE
32GB DDR4, Corsair AX1200i
Two Samsung 256 GB 850 Pro SSD
One 4TB HD
AMD Radeon 290X
HydroLux Level 2
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 9:33am
Hi texx murphy,

You won't do any better than the Samsung 850 Pro. It out performs other similar type of SSDs in almost all categories. You can read about performance comparisons at the link below. Or you can go to AnandTech and compare the 850 Pro to other SSDs in the Bench section. The SanDisk Extreme Pro is also good.

Frank

Samsung 850 Pro Performance.

Edited by FrankW - 22 Mar 2015 at 9:39am
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 11:14am
Until there's an M2, I would think the 850 is fastest. I have one, but have not had it long enough to know if there would be issues or not.
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 11:20am
I should note, that in my experience, any SSD as your system drive will insta-load many apps. For large game files, there will be some delay. I put most of my game files on my HD, but I have Diablo 3 on my SSD, and it loads very fast.

SSDs were the biggest performance gainer in my years of working with computers. They changed the user experience completely from waiting to not waiting for many common operations. I have yet to buy one that does not work 100% properly. Two of my friend's had issues with theirs, but as they built their own PCs, they had to diagnose and correct the issues themselves. Something you would hopefully not deal with as you are not building.

Edited by michaeljhuman - 23 Mar 2015 at 11:22am
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"

Quote texx murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 5:18pm
Thanks for all the responses. I am going to go with the 850 pro SSD. I'm saving up for a 850 pro 512 GB SSD and 32 GB Ram.

Also seeing if a newer version of Behemoth comes out in next few months.
armyslowrdr View Drop Down

Quote armyslowrdr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 5:23pm
Excellent; I think those drives will be excellent. I'm with MJH above...when I went SSD with my latest build was the best computer experience ever. Coming close to 2 minutes to boot to literally under 10 seconds is just gold.

Got my stage 2/stage 3 emails today with a note that ship time estimated to be 9 to 14 business days from today.

Originally posted by texx murphy

Thanks for all the responses. I am going to go with the 850 pro SSD. I'm saving up for a 850 pro 512 GB SSD and 32 GB Ram.

Apollo "Viking"
I7 5930K, ASUS X99-DELUXE
32GB DDR4, Corsair AX1200i
Two Samsung 256 GB 850 Pro SSD
One 4TB HD
AMD Radeon 290X
HydroLux Level 2

Quote texx murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 9:32am
Originally posted by armyslowrdr

Excellent; I think those drives will be excellent. I'm with MJH above...when I went SSD with my latest build was the best computer experience ever. Coming close to 2 minutes to boot to literally under 10 seconds is just gold.Got my stage 2/stage 3 emails today with a note that ship time estimated to be 9 to 14 business days from today.
Originally posted by texx murphy

Sweet rig congrats please post pics when you get it :).
 Post Reply Post Reply