Fan upgrade for Velox

Post Date: 2015-03-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Fan upgrade for Velox
    Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 12:17am

My Velox seems to be in a state where it will be shipped next week. I had ordered the Coolermaster 120mm blue fans. I believe they are R4, I will know for sure when I get it.

And they look like good fans from the specs. 19 dBA, 69 CFM @ 2000 RPM ( assuming that noise spec is at 2000, but not 100% sure.)

If I wanted to replace them with the best 140mm, blue LED fans that $20 per fan could buy, would there be recommendations? NZXT seems to make a pretty good fan
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 12:50am
martinsliquidlab.org had a really good piece on why you can't believe any of the specs given for fans, other than size and RPM...unfortunately it appears as though the web hosting is not being maintained and it can't be viewed. And remember: grills, filters, radiators, or anything else impeding the airflow near the fan will affect the noise levels as well.

Edited by  - 01 Mar 2015 at 12:51am
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 1:06am
I sort of assumed little faith could be trusted in their specs. Having been around the block, being almost 50, I have spent a lot of time educating myself to not be taken for a ride, and that education has taught me that specs are often not useful. With fans, being pretty cheap things, I can't imagine the manufacturers spending much time on testing to get the specs right. And as you say there are variables :)

All that being said, I am still interesting in recommendations on 140mm, blue LED fans - probably 3 pin, but will have to see what's in the Velox
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 1:14am
I can't speak to the fans out there, but for the headers, the motherboard will be able to support 3- & 4-pin fans and the optional Hydrolux board will support only 3-pin fans.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 1:18am
I know the Asus deluxe has a fan expansion board, but don't know if it's 3 or 4 pin. I don't think I ordered the Hydrolux board

Edited by michaeljhuman - 01 Mar 2015 at 1:18am
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 1:28am
From ASUS:

1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin)
1 x CPU OPT Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin)
4 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (4 x 4 -pin)
and
1 x Fan Extension Card (3 x 4-pin fan out)

So you'll have 9 4-pin headers to use.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 2:10am
Thanks. No shortage of headers on the mobo. Given the mobo price, that only seems fair :)
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 11:03am
They are the R4s.  Actually was having a discussion in another thread with bprat about these.  When doing some research, the specs definitely don't seem to be correct: 
http://community.coolermaster.com/index.php/topic/7076-poll-would-you-buy-a-120mm-fan-that-would-output-90cfm/page-3?hl=series#entry83027

They still seem to be decent fans though.  Noctua always make good fans.  Scythe GentleTyphoon I believe are good to (I think they were recommended by martinsliquidlab.org if I remember correctly)...
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 12:15pm
Yes, the Gentle Typhoons were the pretty much the gold standard for martinsliquidlab; unfortunately Scythe discontinued their relationship with Nidec Servo and no longer distribute them.

Martin couldn't figure out why the Noctua's were so highly recommended as they never really stood out in any way from the other fans and were very loud at high RPMs. The Noiseblocker e-loop fans were right up there with the Gentle Typhoon's, but if you go for those do not get the PWM as I have seen complaints in multiple places about loud motor noise in them. EK recently introduced the Vardar fans and I'm interested in seeing a proper test of them. The only disappointment I can see so far is the limited PWM range. I wish they would have also used a 3-phase motor instead of standard 2-phase, as well, but that could have added a little to their cost.
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 12:36pm
Yeah, Martin liked the e-loop fans too.  That said, I believe Gentle Typhoons are still being sold:  http://www.coolerguys.com/sgt120.html#__utma=173894335.1147167599.1425071249.1425239124.1425241881.3&__utmb=173894335.1.10.1425241881&__utmc=173894335&__utmx=-&__utmz=173894335.1425071249.1.1.utmcsr=forums.extremeoverclocking.com|utmccn=%28referral%29|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/showthread.php&__utmv=-&__utmk=221035096
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 1:47pm
Yeah, some places still have them in stock, albeit at marked up prices. I think retail on those fans is $12-13.

Edited by  - 01 Mar 2015 at 1:48pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 9:31am
Note, I was told DS can only put in a few blue fans into the Velox, as their blue fans are 120mm only

I will have to look at switching out the 140mm fans myself sometime, to get blue LED fans

Note for DS, your configurator should either make the situation clear, or there should be a pre build check to identify such things. The order was in the queue since Jan 9th, and I was not informed of the situation until yesterday

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 3:04pm
michaeljhuman,

You're right, and I've informed the team and we're actually in the process of ordering 140mm LED fans as well. The Velox is the first case that we have made that uses a lot of 140mm fans as stock options, so we didn't get inventory in yet (we offer so many custom options).

I'm glad we were able to get everything taken care of for you with our email conversations earlier. Feel free to reach out at any time.

Cheers!
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 3:33pm

Obviously a low priority item, and it's understood these things happen. Thanks for the response

Post Reply Post Reply