Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Easy Bios question
    Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 12:36pm
I just bought an SSD for my computer and read that sometimes it's necessary to upgrade your BIOS. I'm reluctant to do this if prompted to because, I'm scared that my overclock will get reset. Is this the case? I haven't been able to find this answer online so help would be appreciated. ty
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 1:10pm
Yes, it could potentially require a BIOS upgrade. But this depends on A.) Your Mobo and B.) Your Current BIOS Reivision. Any recent mobo is not going to require an update. But if you have an older mobo, you'll want to look up updates specifically for that mobo and ensure that you in fact do, or do not require an update for fully functional SSD support. If you just flash the BIOS for an update, then yes, your OC will be reset. Several BIOSes allow you to save settings from one revision to the next, some don't. If you find you do need to update your BIOS (which I doubt it actually necessary), worst case scenario just write down the settings for each page within the BIOS. Unless the update is something absolutely major, you should have no stability issues by keeping your settings the same from one revision to the next.

As I mentioned, I doubt any update is required. Excluding some now very outdated boards, BIOS updates were generally only needed for certain brands of SSDs and motherboard combinations. I've only seen it necessary once in my personal experiences. SATA driver updates, or firmware updates for the SSD itself might be needed for maximum performance, but to actually update the BIOS is something I doubt would be required.
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 11:29am
Appreciate the insight.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 8:48pm
Happy to help, if you get a chance, let us know how it works out, I'm curious myself. Awesome
criTalon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote criTalon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 9:29am
I just updated my BIOS yesterday to allow compatibility for a pair of ram sticks I recently bought.
It helps a lot if you have a camera, simply take pictures of the bios settings, then you can go back to the images on the camera after you flash the bios to find the correct settings.
A lot easier than taking notes, but as the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
 Post Reply Post Reply