FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dumb question about an HDD

Post Date: 2014-03-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vilyn117 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vilyn117 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Dumb question about an HDD
    Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 6:26pm
This is going to be the dumbest question in the world, but here goes.

Now I know larger HDDs are faster because of the memory being compressed, etc, for example Crysis 1 runs flawlessly on my 2tb black caviar when the HDD isnt filled with crap. When I start filling it up, that game starts to have some fps issues. Now if I get a second HDD, would that help the speed of my computer itself and be useful, or does it only work for the HDD the game is installed on?

Ex: Crysis 1 is installed on HDD 1 which is almost full, but HDD 2 is empty, does HDD2 help HDD 1 at all, or would Crysis 1 have to be on the empty HDD 2 to actually get benefit?

Now the obvious decision here is to just get more RAM to solve this issue, but I'd like to know the answer to this question regardless. Thanks for all the help :)

PS: I don't know if it matters, but I do own the Digital Storm Ode V2, incase anybody here ends up wondering if I'm even a customer.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 8:59am
You'd have to move a bunch of stuff off the 1st HDD onto the 2nd HDD. Think of each drive as a closet full of your stuff. The fuller the closet the harder and slower it is to find, move and save more stuff. RAM may or may not resolve the issue - depends on what the game loads into RAM. 99% of games don't need any more than a total of 8GB of system RAM - meaning even if you had 16 or 32, you most likely wouldn't notice any speed difference as the game is still requiring data from the HDD. But this really depends on the programmers designed the software...
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
Vilyn117 View Drop Down

Quote Vilyn117 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 6:24pm
That's what I figured, makes sense. So my best bet, since crysis 1 specifically seems to rely on the HDD a lot is to get another one(to split up the amount of games on each), or toss a SSD in there just for games that seem to really need it. For some reason thatr game gives me some trouble, but it's fairly poorly optimized, the second game runs better than it. But at this point my GTX 670 is having trouble running even thief at all maxed out, so I should probably hop on upgrading that to help offload some of this nonsense too. I figured that was the answer, thanks a bunch sir.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 12:55am
An SSD will definitely speed up load times on in game levels and any cinema between levels. An upgraded GPU is also handy when trying to maximize newer games or any game that relies heavily on the GPU. I know Crysis is tough to run even on good systems as it's graphics engine isn't very well optimized...
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
 Post Reply Post Reply