FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Driver Conflict?

Post Date: 2014-11-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Oxon View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Oxon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Driver Conflict?
    Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 10:13am
I have the following issue:  all nVidia drivers after 335.23 install fine, BUT cause Windows to freeze on the startup logo the next time I boot.  So I have been stuck with a video driver that's about 6 months old now.

I have tried clean installs of the drivers.  I have tried resetting all overclock to stock...  I don't think it is a problem with my video cards (2 x GTX 680 in SLI) because they seem to work perfectly with the older drivers.  If they were going bad, I'd expect to see some problem manifest itself with the older driver.

The only hardware change I made around the time this started was adding a LSI MegaRAID 9260-4i.  But it all works fine with 335.23 and prior nVidia drivers.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be, and/or how to resolve it?

I want to keep this system for a while, so not being able to update video drivers will be a major bummer.  And if I want to update the graphics cards down the road, I'll definitely be upset if I can't update the driver.

Thanks for any thoughts / advice!

Relevant hardware and OS:

2 x GTX 680 in SLI
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme (BIOS fully updated)
Windows 7 x64
LSI MegaRAID 9260-4i

Thanks for any info / help!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 1:12pm
Hi Oxon.... For the clean driver install did you do it with the clean option with the download,or use CCLEANER , DriverCleaner, etc to manually delete the files? I haven't had to use either in a couple of years, the driver install being just fine, but it might be necessary here.

It's possible one of your cards isn't playing nice with newer drivers. You could unplug one card at a time and see if it works with the newer drivers.   Not common but possible.

If all else fails, just use what driver works.   The newer ones help some but not necessary.   

Good luck.

If by chance it is a card you obviously don't want to leave it on one card, but it'll tell you what's up.

Edited by bprat22 - 07 Nov 2014 at 1:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply