Post Date: 2011-12-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  <12
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 2:31pm
Good to hear.  Congrats. Awesome Let's hope a year from now you can ditto this same review.Big%20Smile 
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 8:58pm
Cool
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Good to hear.  Congrats. Awesome Let's hope a year from now you can ditto this same review.Big%20Smile 

That's my hope! A lot of customers tend to write really comprehensive initial reviews then disappear. While I completely understand that they are busy with more important things, I'm going to try to at least give yearly update for  the life of my warranty with Digital Storm. For many, myself included, what happens after the "Ooooo Ahhhh" phase wears off is the most important in regards to customer service Smile

Edited by Tidgxor - 19 Dec 2011 at 3:25pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 3:33pm
That would be nice!
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 12:33am
Originally posted by Alex

That would be nice!

You could always upgrade me to the 25 year warranty and I'd come back to amend the review even more Big%20Smile
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 3:56pm
Update:

As part of my plan to keep this review updated when anything happens, I am reporting my first issue with my DS rig.

My WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD died suddenly and without warning last Thursday evening. It had been performing fine and had even passed a recent HDTune check-up. Well, lucky me, it crashed hard and corrupted the entire MBR, and MFT. I spent many hours trying to fix it, but to no avail, not even with DOS based repair programs.

I called up DS, where I first spoke to a Maria (I believe? See next sentence). This was the only downside to the contact because there was a TON of background noise on her end and I could barely understand anything she said. She took my information and said Technical Support would call me back. About 10 minutes later (Fast!) I got a call from Gordon, who was a pleasure to deal with. We confirmed what I already pretty much knew, the HDD was toast. Now, what really pleased me was that he actually suggested I go through WD themselves in order to avoid the two-way shipping that DS would charge for the replacement HDD. I'm not here to argue about whether DS charging for shipping both ways on warranty parts is right or not, but in my mind, because thats the policy it was VERY awesome of him to suggest this to me. Most companies would just happily charge you and move on, but DS actually seems to care about ME. So thats what I did, and yes I saved money.

So my RMA HDD is on the way from WD, I was able to use Linux and TestDisk to recover my Data before the HDD ceased to even spin, and all is well.

Until next time!

Edited by Tidgxor - 30 Jul 2012 at 3:57pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 6:19pm
Thanks for the update. I hope you're able to get the hard drive situation resolved quickly.

Thanks!

P.S. I'll check on the background noise issue, it might be a bad headset.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 5:46am
Hi Tidgxor.....Glad to see the fix is in the mail.  I'd be curious at how long it takes to get the new drive from WD. 

Good Luck.Big%20Smile
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 10:58am
Thanks!

I submitted the RMA on Saturday, so I'd imagine things probably didn't get rolling until yesterday. I'm curious as well, I chose the "Advance RMA" which is supposed to be 3-5 business days, so If I'm lucky I'll be back to normal sometime this week.

I will say that WD's online RMA process was super slick and easy (thus far)!
DSW View Drop Down

Quote DSW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Tidgxor

Thanks! I submitted the RMA on Saturday, so I'd imagine things probably didn't get rolling until yesterday. I'm curious as well, I chose the "Advance RMA" which is supposed to be 3-5 business days, so If I'm lucky I'll be back to normal sometime this week. I will say that WD's online RMA process was super slick and easy (thus far)!

I have had very little difficulty RMAing dead drives from WD. The turnaround time is also fairly speedy - I usually get the replacements within a week of sending out the malfunctioning drive. They also have the most lenient packaging requirements of any drive manufacturer I have had to return drives to(save your original packaging if you have other mfg. drives: Some will refuse a return if the drive is not shipped in a very specific way).

Bonus on the DS support response. That's the way to handle it.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 5:57pm
Just an update, I'm back up and running. Digital Storm didn't do a ton in this instance, but they were there to help me get the ball rolling and responded in a timely and professional manner, so no issues there (other than the small issue of the background noise as mentioned). WD was also easy to deal with and quick, for anyone interested in that side of things. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 6:13pm
That was pretty quick.     Good to know and congrats on being whole again.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 12:13pm
Yep, I was pleased all around.

Except with my lack of adequate backups. LOL

Thanks!
SpicierMire View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SpicierMire Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 5:10pm
Mr. Bojangles is one badass X58 rig, especially with that 990x upgrade! You can even apply to EVGA's step-up program and get yourself a pair of new cards, should you ever feel the need (not that you do as it seems )
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 11:04pm
Thanks! Big%20Smile

I normally tend to be an "end-of-cycle" buyer, since it lets me get some good deals and also ensures stable platform, Mr. Bojangles is the result of that philosophy. The 990x is an unbelievably awesome processor, though granted I would not have got it had I not won it, its still never failed to impress. 

Edited by Tidgxor - 05 Dec 2012 at 9:10pm
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 7:37am

Two Year Update

Well, it has officially been two years since this day that I received my DS rig (12/7/10). As part of my commitment to provide updates for the full 5 year life of my DS warranty I’ll be sharing a few notes about Mr. Bonjangles in the past year. I don’t actually have that much to add, which is a good thing in this kind of situation. Strong

I haven’t made any configuration changes to my rig, I really haven’t seen the need, especially in light of the 990x upgrade. I know that the X58 platform is starting to move further and further behind us, but Mr. Bojangles still has no issue with anything that I throw his direction. My long term plans probably involve a GPU and RAM upgrade when it becomes necessary, but I’m looking at the 2nd refresh of Kepler at the earliest and even then I might not upgrade unless I have reason to. As for RAM, my 6GB of Corsair Dominator GT is still doing wonderfully. When/if necessary I will likely upgrade to 12GB, but I don’t see the need for that anytime soon.

I did have my first hardware failure this past year when the WD Caviar 1TB HDD died without any warning whatsoever. That was pretty much a pain, especially when I had always imagined that my RAID 0 SSD’s would be the first to go (and that’s what I planned for), but nope, they are still going strong, so believe all the Intel SSD hype you read. I will certainly be sticking to Intel SSDs for the rest of my days, until given a reason not to. But the HDD went kablooey, and thankfully DS helped me out. I ended up going to WD for the warranty in the end, but that wasn’t because of anything DS did wrong. You can see my earlier posts in this thread for more details.

Luckily that was it, and the story ended on a decent note because I was able to recover all my data via Linux in the end. Cool

So, the year two summary of my experience with Digital Storm thus far:

• Two Years In – Still 100% Recommend Digital Storm
  • Had an HDD die, but no other hardware or software issues
  • No noticeable decrease in performance (My boot time has slowed by about 3 seconds over 2 years, I can live with that LOL )
  • I still play at the highest, or near highest settings at 1920x1200 with average FPS above 60
  • Digital Storm technical support has continued to help me when needed
  • The community is still the best I’ve found for a manufacturer’s website
  • I still love my Noctua NH-D14, and have likely become a Noctua fanboy for life Big%20Smile

So, I still highly recommend that you strongly consider Digital Storm for your purchase, I don’t think you will be disappointed.   Awesome

Edited by Tidgxor - 07 Dec 2012 at 7:44am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 7:42am
Super.Strong

Keep enjoying .Big%20Smile
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 7:54am
Awesome
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2012 at 10:00am
it's nice to see your updates, thank you for taking the time to post such details.
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 9:52pm
I.. just wish, not the way this sounds but that my words meant something to people. Digital Storm, as also detailed by your 2 years of updates continues to care of you as a valuable customer every single day past your purchase date. In this business you just can't beat that -- I have trouble getting someone from D*** and Cybe****** or Ibu****** to even fix defects they send me.

The difference between Digital Storm and all the others is its all about quality not how many PCs they can ship.

Sorry for hijacking the thread mate.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 10:38pm
Not derailing the thread at all. Big%20Smile

I completely agree, and that's why I keep doing these little updates, to show people that DS is different in the best of ways.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 2:28pm

Three Year Update

Its now been over three years since I received Mr. Bojangles (12/7/10). In keeping with my pattern, here is another update as I progress towards the end of my 5 year warranty.

..and honestly there isn't much to say. Big%20Smile Much like last year, I've had no major issues with the rig. The HDD I had replaced is still doing fine and everything else is running as good as new. I keep on top of a cleaning schedule, but other than that Mr. Bojangles hasn't required much from me. In this instance it looks like Digital Storm's testing paid off, as other than the HDD hiccup things have been completely smooth sailing.

My two Intel SSDs (which are in RAID 0) are still delivering, as are the SLI 580s. Pretty much anything that I was told might cause issues, from raiding drives to SLI, hasn't caused me issues with this machine. So I am definitely very happy with my purchase.

A few overall points at year three:

• All hardware is running with no issues, not a single crash this year
  • I still can game at max, or near-max settings at 1920x1200
  • My 6GB of RAM still goes above and beyond all my needs
  • No SSD or HDD issues
  • Temps are still great
  • HAF-X case is still problem free, including that sometimes problematic front panel
  • Noctua NH-D14 is still my precious
  • I have not needed any customer, or technical support at DS this past year, but still recommend them based on past experiences
  • DS Community still rocks, and really is unparallelled in my opinion 

In summation, after three years, Mr. Bojangles has no issues, still games hard, and I still recommend Digital Storm. Awesome

Edited by Tidgxor - 29 Dec 2013 at 2:28pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 2:34pm

<p align="center">Three Year Update

Its now been over three years since I received Mr. Bojangles (12/7/10). In keeping with my pattern, here is another update as I progress towards the end of my 5 year warranty.

..and honestly there isn't much to say. Big%20Smile Much like last year, I've had no major issues with the rig. The HDD I had replaced is still doing fine and everything else is running as good as new. I keep on top of a cleaning schedule, but other than that Mr. Bojangles hasn't required much from me. In this instance it looks like Digital Storm's testing paid off, as other than the HDD hiccup things have been completely smooth sailing. My two Intel SSDs (which are in RAID 0) are still delivering, as are the SLI 580s. Pretty much anything that I was told might cause issues, from raiding drives to SLI, hasn't caused me issues with this machine. So I am definitely very happy with my purchase.A few overall points at year three:
  • All hardware is running with no issues, not a single crash this year
  • I still can game at max, or near-max settings at 1920x1200
  • My 6GB of RAM still goes above and beyond all my needs
  • No SSD or HDD issues
  • Temps are still great
  • HAF-X case is still problem free, including that sometimes problematic front panel
  • Noctua NH-D14 is still my precious
  • I have not needed any customer, or technical support at DS this past year, but still recommend them based on past experiences
  • DS Community still rocks, and really is unparallelled in my opinion 

In summation, after three years, Mr. Bojangles has no issues, still games hard, and I still recommend Digital Storm. Awesome

"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 4:30pm
Great to hear. I have looked forward to your updates over the last 2-3 years, and hope it continues for as long as possible.

Thanks for the updates and your wit. Always a pleasure.   
ScottishBattleAx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 12:35pm
Glad to hear it's still going strong!
I'm the owner of a 3 week old HAF-X based system and hope I have as few issues as you over the coming years.
HAF X // i7-4770K @ 4.2GHZ // Win 8.1 Pro // ASUS Z87-Expert // EVGA GTX 780 Ti Superclocked ACX // 16GB 1866 RAM // 256GB SSD // 2TB + 4TB HDD // Recon3D 5.1 Sound
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 2:02pm
joguco2012 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote joguco2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 2:15pm

Originally posted by bprat22

That's my hope! A lot of customers tend to write really comprehensive initial reviews then disappear. While I completely understand that they are busy with more important things, I'm going to try to at least give yearly update for  the life of my warranty with Digital Storm. For many, myself included, what happens after the "Ooooo Ahhhh" phase wears off is the most important in regards to customer service Smile

That's right Tidgxor, I agree with you. Thanks for sharing your updates.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 9:41am
Thanks for the comments all! Big%20Smile
PcKiller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote PcKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 10:28am
AAAhhhhh! I just love the pic of the twin baby boxes. So cute. Boxes are so cute when they are first born. So what are their names?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 10:33am
Originally posted by PcKiller

AAAhhhhh! I just love the pic of the twin baby boxes. So cute. Boxes are so cute when they are first born. So what are their names?

Mr.Bojangles and Mrs.Bojingles, he has it in his signature
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by PcKiller

The boxes? Oh, I'm not sure, they grew up and moved out so quickly, you know how boxes are. Big%20Smile

Edited by Tidgxor - 22 Jul 2014 at 10:10am
fluffy man View Drop Down

Quote fluffy man Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 10:51pm
Any idea what a good name for a vanquish 2 would be?
Snaike View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 6:28am
I don't know if it's classified as a 'name'.. but I call this machine

"MINE!"

Edited by Snaike - 22 Jul 2014 at 6:29am
Vanquish II Ultimate
The Budget Beating Beast
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12