FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dreadnaught L3 build - feedback requested

Post Date: 2012-05-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jdmaddison View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jdmaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Dreadnaught L3 build - feedback requested
    Posted: 02 May 2012 at 1:59pm
Budget:
$4.5k or less... for gaming and home productivity apps. I have the monitor, keyboard, and mouse already. I might look for a simple set of speakers to go with it.

Expectations:
Snappy response, including bootup and shutdown.
Perfect 60+ fps on ultra settings specifically on 25-man raiding in WoW and potentially other 3-D games at 1900x1080. Blu-ray video at 1900x1080.

Usage:
Gaming - Warcraft, other more current 3D games. Light photo editing. Large mp3 and photo libraries. Usual home computing tasks and Blu-ray movies.

Special Needs:
Only factory OC (if any).
Prefer single GPU over SLI.
Cool and quiet.
Glitz is unimportant.
I really need consistent 60+ fps at 1900x1080 for 25-man WoW raiding. I'm not sure if WoW is CPU-bound, GPU-bound or both.
I might possibly add an external HD drive bay - I'm not sure what that amounts to or what is needed to swap between one or more separate drives.
Add media/CF/SD card reader
Larger SSD if available. Like the Crucial 512 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT512M4SSD2 $590 on Amazon.

Saved Ticket #: 683215 Dreadnaught L3 build with changed items in bold. Null choices were eliminated in this post. I'm not attached to any particular component--this just looked like a good starting point.

Specifications:
Total Price with Instant Savings: $3,580.00

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (3TB HITACHI Deskstar (7200 RPM) (SATA 6Gbps) (H3IK30003272SW)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator) (Extreme-Performance Edition)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty

Any thoughts? Thanks!
jdmaddison
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2012 at 6:03pm
Hi jdmaddison....Welcome to the forums.    I can't config tonight so I' ll just write.     You didn't mention what size 3D monitor, but in general for 24" and up to play on ultra settings, 60 + fps always for games like BF3, metro etc you do need a sli setup.     Some of the games you mentioned maybe not.   3d is like playing on two monitors, 3d rendering twice for each image.      Also, for light video work and mainly gaming you don' t need the x79 platform.     To save money and put it to sli gtx680 start with Dreadnought lvl 2.    Also drop the Zalman fans. They are noisy and just mess with the HafX' s excellant cooling.   Drop the noise reduction kit. It really does nothing.    See what you think and one of us can help tomorrow.       

Quote jdmaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2012 at 10:46pm
I have a Dell ST2421L 24" Widescreen LED Monitor with a native resolution of 1920x1080.

Would the GeForce GTX 690 be better than 2x GTX 680's? It would certainly be much cheaper ($1000 vs $1500) and physically contains the same 2 GTX 680 GPUs.

I expect that I will have CPU intensive applications. If nothing else, I'm presently working on resurrecting a previous system that self-destructed as a virtual machine under Oracle VM VirtualBox. This unit will need to last 3-4 years for me, so I'm willing to go for a higher-end processor.
novelreader View Drop Down

Quote novelreader Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2012 at 1:02am
DS is incredibly quick with putting up new inventory. 690 gtx 4gb is already available and is quite a bit cheaper than sli 680's. Please keep in mind, that even though the card says 4 GB, it is split between 2 gpus making it effectively 2 GB per gpu.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2012 at 3:42am
jdmaddison...Until we see test results for the 690 it's tough to say.  Historically, the dual gpu cards like gtx590, while having a following, did have to be de-tuned and ran hot.  Plus, being in field service for decades, I always look at the cost to replace.  One 680 in sli would be cheaper to replace than a single sli 690 if things went wrong.   If they did it right this time , then the 690 will be a popular option, esp. for those with non-sli mobo's.

Keeping the X79, your build looks great.  The HafX is tops in cooling and the cooler, chip and oc fit nice together.  Drop the Zalman fans and noise suppresion package.   Just me, but I would try a single 680, see if it fits your gaming and if not add anotther later.  I don't think WOW is that demanding but I don't know for sure.  It looks like sli 680 is $170 more than 690, but if you only need one 680...

Change psu to the 750HX for single card and 1050HX for sli.  They're better supplies with 7 year warranties.  The 800W will work and does have a DS extended 5 year wartranty so your call of course.

Hope this helps and good luckBig%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 03 May 2012 at 3:56am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2012 at 8:12am
Hi jdmaddison,

Here is a system like bprat22 is talking about.

It has the basic equipment you listed. With this build you get two 680 GPUs, latest Z77 chip set, WiFi with the Mobo, much better power supply and a great air cooler. I put in two WD 1Tb HDD instead of the 3Tb you had listed. The 1Tb WD drive gives better performance than the 3Tb HDD. You can go back to the 3Tb HDD if you prefer. It may even save a few bucks. I would prefer the performance myself. All of this for $340 more dollars than your build. To me that is a great buy for 340 more dollars.

Frank

Configuration: 683540 Cost: $3920

Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) (Requires Z77 Motherboard)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Higher Overclocks and Unique Wi-Fi Features)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F180GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 2x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Phanteks PH-TC14PE Extreme Performance
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

Edited by FrankW - 03 May 2012 at 8:21am

Quote jdmaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2012 at 9:45am
That looks like a really awesome configuration! I'm definitely picking up those changes. I'd like to ask about a few changes however. Mainly increasing the size of the SSD and hard drives, as well as adding the SSD and HD bays.

• 1x (480GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series) [+$661] (I hadn't seen this one before)

• 2x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) (SATA 6Gbps) [+$178] (faster units than the 3TB?)

• Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) [+$65]

I don't know how much space there is in the chassis, but I'm interested in seeing if these would all fit:

• Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black) [+$19] and

• Dual Solid State Hard Drive Hot Swap Bay [+$35]

• Hard Drive Hot Swap Bay (EZ-Rack) [+$39]

And here's where things get a little strange. How bad would it be to combine all three internal drives with the respective Hot Swap Bays (Adding another $39 for a second HD HSB)? I know they really wouldn't really be hot swappable if the OS is running from a drive in a removable bay, but I really like the capability to backup the system to a second set of drives (1 SSD + 1 2TB HD) and easily swap them out when the system is turned off. If that were impractical, I think I'd stick with the three expansion choices (if they even fit) and simply mount the second HD in the single HD HSB. So, is this even practical?

Thanks!
jdmaddison
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2012 at 10:46am
Frank did put together a great build.

As far as all the other add-ons, I think my head is spinningLOL.  I can't say what you need or not but the HafX case can hold 6 - 5.25" external drive bays for the DVD, Card Reader and the Hot Swap bays   Internal there is room for 5  -3.5" HDD/SSD  add-ins. 
 The mobo I think has 4-sata 3 and 4 sata 6 ports to plug all this in.  If you add it all up with added HDD's I think you might just make it.  Plus the card reader uses USB. 

Why you would want all this is beyond my experience but it is fun trying to figure it out..Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 03 May 2012 at 11:14am

Quote jdmaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2012 at 3:11pm
OK, thanks for some excellent feedback. I've reduced the extraneous stuff a bit and bumped up the SSD. I'm not sure that I'll use all of it right away, but I think I eventually will. The GTX 690 should be under warranty, so I'm not so worried about the cost of replacing it. At worst, I could probably replace it with a single GTX 680.

o I'm not committed to any brand or size of HD, as long as it is 2 TB or larger. Recommendations?
o I'm tempted to increase the RAM to 32GB (~$200)

I've added about $700 to the base spec FrankW designed for me (Thanks!) Do my changes make sense, aside from spending more than I probably need to? I'm thinking this may be pretty close to my final build...

Ticket Number: 683712 - $4,634.00 (+$39 EZ-Rack)

Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) (Requires Z77 Motherboard)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Higher Overclocks and Unique Wi-Fi Features)
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (600GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series) <b></b>
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) (SATA 6Gbps) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) <b></b>
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4GB (Includes PhysX) <b></b>
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Extra Large) <b></b>
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

Thanks,
jdmaddison
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2012 at 4:50pm
Hi jdmaddison,

The Intel 320 SSD is not a good choice today. The Intel 520 is much faster than the 320 series. I would definitely go with the Intel 520 SSD.

Frank

Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2012 at 8:04pm
Reviews of the GTX 690 just became available.  Chech the hardware section of the forums for a thread on the GTX 690s if your interested.  Near the end of the thread one person posted 2 links to reviews on the GTX 690 and I posted a 3rd link.

All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

Quote jdmaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2012 at 10:47am
FrankW & bprat22, thanks for your assistance. I think I'm going to go with the single GTX 680 and 750W HX PSU as bprat22 suggested. I've switched the SSD to the 520 series, based on FrankW's recommendation.

This thread has been really helpful. I am awed by the great community here in the Digital Storm forums. You guys pulled in a sale that was originally headed to AVA Direct. Congratulations!

I think I'm ready for one final pre-flight crosscheck and then I'll be ready to go.

Here's the latest spec: # 684122 for $4,031 (+$39). Let me know if there's anything else I should tweak, otherwise I think this will be it.

Thanks,
jdmaddison
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2012 at 1:39pm
Hi jdmaddison,

It is important that you get just what you want but it seems to me you are missing the bullseye. I went back and read your first post and this stands out in my mind:

"Expectations:
Snappy response, including bootup and shutdown.
Perfect 60+ fps on ultra settings specifically on 25-man raiding in WoW and potentially other 3-D games at 1900x1080. Blu-ray video at 1900x1080."

I am sorry but with many games in 3D you are going to fall below 60fps. In some cases below 30fps if you use ultimate settings. I can understand cutting somethings due to budget but I don't understand the single 680 GPU. I think you have sacrificed your Power Supply and GPU in order to get that big hunk of a SSD.

Of course I don't understand everything you want to accomplish but why do you want such a large SSD? For a gaming machine I think you have made some changes that undermine ultimate gaming. If it was me I would get a 250Gb SSD and if you fill that up for some unknown reason, than add a second 250Gb SSD later down the road.

As to your last build. If it is what you want then go for it. However, it is not the ultimate gaming machine that I thought you wanted. Of course that is just my opinion.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 04 May 2012 at 1:42pm

Quote jdmaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2012 at 2:40pm
Oops, you are quite right.I had a slight, inadvertent mental transition. Earlier, I had posted a comment in the Hardware section with the pictures of the external connections of the GTX 690 compared with that of the GTX 680, (unwittingly demonstrating my lack of hardware savvy, since I had no idea an HDMI connection could be made from a DVI or Mini-Display Port connection). Anyway, I was looking at the pictures and going, gee, I'm going to plug one monitor into one DVI port on one card of an SLI? That seemed to me like I'd somehow only be using a fraction of its capability. I'd gotten kind of confused about the SLI and backpedaled to the single card where I understood it better (and having been talked out of the GTX 690 from the reviews-- not bad, but with concerns I couldn't really address). Reading up on it was probably a better move and Wikipedia has a nice write-up that helped. I will bring back the second GTX 680 and the larger PSU.

I got your point about being hung up on the large SSD as well. I was thinking I had to have the OS and all the games on a single SSD. I think I was getting this confused with my laptop, which only has space for a single SSD and so, yes, that one has to be as large as possible and everything has to fit on just that one drive. That's not really the case and since I was planning on having a separate partition for the games, a second SSD would work perfectly.

So, I'm going to go back and edit my build again... and go back over your spec. Thanks for your advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
jdmaddison
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2012 at 3:46pm
jdmaddison,

There is no reason to have all your games on the SSD. Only the ones you are currently playing need to be on the SSD. You can move the older games back and forth between the SSD and the HDD as you decide to play them. The same for your programs. Programs you seldom use don't need to be on the SSD.

Just take your time and work through everything and you will end up with a great machine.

Frank
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2012 at 4:04pm
Jdmaddison....Frank has been giving you great advice. I tried getting back earlier but my internet connection has been flaky for two days. I think my mobo ethernet port is screwed     For your initial desires, a sli 680 or at least the psu to add a gpu later is the way to go.      Building a great config to get the most for your money takes time.      Best of luck.

Quote jdmaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2012 at 6:40pm
Thanks for your help. I've played around some more and I think I've kept the config a bit closer to FrankW's recommendations this time around. I do have more disks than the original spec, but I've tried to keep them to the same class or series of disk. I know I've gone over my original budget, but I'm replacing a system that had a lot of media and programs on it, so I will need the space.

Ticket Number: 684603
Total Price with Instant Savings: $4,899.00

Have I kept to the components that make up a solid build?

Will the 2 SATA HDs will be mounted into the two removable bays at the bottom?

Any other guidance?

Thanks,
jdmaddison

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 5:17am
Build looks great.Big%20Smile

Not sure what you need 32GB memory for but for gaming you don't the photo work you would know better than us.

DS won't mount into the sata dock unless you specify. I'm guessing one of them will have the OS loaded to it.

Real nice rig.  Keep us updated Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 07 May 2012 at 5:19am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 7:24am
Hi jdmaddison,

That is a killer 3D gaming setup for 1920 x 1080/1200 resolution.

Based on what you wrote in your first post I don't know how you will ever use 4TB of HDD storage. For a gaming machine that is way over the top. That is probably true with your SSD storage also. You must have some use in mind other than gaming. As bprat22 mentioned 32Gb of memory is way more than any gamer would ever use. If you are not running gigantic spread sheets or doing drafting I think 16Gb would be a better choice. That is up to you.

If you like what you got I think it is a go.

Frank

Quote jdmaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:35pm
OK, I've ordered this build - 686274 - about a week ago, but I just received an email today from DSO that they are no longer carrying the Phanteks cooler and are suggesting the AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance as a substitute.

Does that make sense or do you have any other recommendations?

I'm looking for cool & quiet and I don't mind spending a bit more for it. I was actually wondering a bit if the built-in fans on the 2x SLI GTX 680's are enough for the cards themselves in this configuration?

Thanks,
jdmaddison

System Memory: 32GB DDR3 1600Mhz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F240GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) (SATA 6Gbps)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:51pm
That build is great. Awesome 
The Noctua D14 and Phanteks are the best air coolers.  Either will work great .No problem there at all.

The gtx 680's built in fan is very good.  With the HafX case's great airflow, especially it's side panel 200mm fan blowing frsh air right on the graphic cards, the 680 fan will cool just fine.  The 680 pulls in air from the case, directs it over the heatsink  and right out the back plate, exiting the case.  A nice setup.

Congrats and keep us posted.Big%20SmileBig%20Smile

Post Reply Post Reply