FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Digital Storm's Response to P67 (Sandy Bridge)

Post Date: 2011-02-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  <1234>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Davis8282 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Davis8282 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 8:37pm
Really, I called DigitalStorm today and they told me that they were estimating late February to early March.
Divine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Divine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 9:06pm
hmm, well I was told by alex in email the morning after his response to the situation...

We’re more than happy to hold your order until we receive shipments of a revised revision of Sandy Bridge based motherboards. We’re currently told that we are expected to receive boards in the month of April. This may early April, or towards the end of April. If you do select this option, please note that Digital Storm will not offer you an additional year of warranty for free as the SATA 3G port issue will have been resolved completely.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 11:56pm
Huh, the last part's somewhat confusing thar.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 12:24am

The date has been changing recently.

The latest news are that we'll receive a small supply of boards around the middle to end of March. Things won't be back up in full supply until April.
zip View Drop Down

Quote zip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 3:23am
Hello, new user here thinking about buying a new computer and my question is:
Can I buy  Serial ATA PCI card and route a third hard drive to it on these motherboards?
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 9:25am
yes, a PCI card would be great, would not hurt the PCIe bandwidth, unles it is the M4E4 lol.
Divine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Divine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 2:23pm
Well looks like im waiting with the rest of the people now rofl, I cant get a break...someone really doesnt want me to have my pc...they called and said because of the recall they cant get my board anymore, only 1 they have is the delux, and im set on maximus...this sucks so bad, family is telling me to ask for a refund since thats a long wait with no product...but its like I told em even if I did, other places wouldnt have the board either...boxed in a corner

Edited by Divine - 03 Feb 2011 at 2:26pm
Joel View Drop Down

Quote Joel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 2:46pm
Yes you are but you have to come out from that corner. How about getting the delux instead or is your heart fixed on the max??
Divine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Divine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 3:15pm
Im set on the maximus, since I went with the highest OC, and plained on poping in 1 or 2 more 580s...also was going with a red and black theme, other boards are dull and not flashy enough for my taste
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 4:45pm
Jw, I haven't looked too much on this but does the SB glitch affect laptop chipsets too?
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Divine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Divine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 7:59pm

I would think so, cause wouldnt the chipset be the same in them as well?

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 8:34pm
Yes
firstknight117 View Drop Down

Quote firstknight117 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 11:35am
So just to clarify:

If I order a Sandy Bridge system today, do I have to pay for a new MB later this year if I want to take that option?
Divine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Divine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 2:54pm

At the beginning DS was going to allow people with exsisting orders to go ahead and have the system built with the malfunctioning motherboards but having things plug'd into the good sata ports...which I agree'd too, but they called 4 days after the posting on the issue and said the only board they had available was the delux , so they are out of everything else and cant get their hands on any boards malfunctioning or not because of the recall status...and that was a few days ago, so im guessing they are out of the delux by now leaving no boards to go with untill the new board shipment comes in that arent malfunctioning. So you can order, but just like the rest of us your order will be on hold untill the arival of the new boards.

So unless I was told wrong on the phone a few days back all new orders will be on hold for the new boards...

Edited by Divine - 08 Feb 2011 at 3:09pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 6:18pm
There was a misunderstanding on the way individuals read the post, so I made it more clear. Basically, the free shipping costs to have boards replaced were for existing customers who purchased a system and have it either on the way or currently have it. The day after the announcement, all orders that didn't ship were notified of the situation and given options to either continue with the order, wait for the revised boards, or to switch to an X58 chipset at a discount.

Ultimately, the issue itself isn't even critical, and only affected a small portion of all of the boards. The way we've been configuring the systems, you honestly would never have ran into issues anyways. We don't use the SATA 3G ports for hard drives anyways.

@firstknight117, if you purchase a Sandy Bridge system today, our staff would contact you before processing the order with your options (which I listed above). We would not be covering shipping costs as you now know about the issue.
bakerac View Drop Down

Quote bakerac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 12:47pm
Just a little clarification, please.

If I order a sandy bridge in the next few days (prior to 15 Feb, say), will the following be covered?

1. Since the purchase will have been before March 31, 2011, per Alex's early post, will I receive a free extra year of warranty? I.e., a FOUR year vs THREE year?

2. Will I be eligible to bring the system back to Digital Storm (I live in Silicon Valley so I can drive it up) for MOBO replacement? The previous dialogue is that Digital Storm won't pay for shipping. How about MOBO replacement?

Many thanks.

Edited by bakerac - 10 Feb 2011 at 12:49pm
Perdika View Drop Down

Quote Perdika Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 9:41pm
You need to be practical about things.

Intel says earliest is mid March - that doesn't mean full supply nor does it account for unexpected "hiccups".

Plan on May.

If you get April you will be pleasantly surprised.

If its June, you won't be that disappointed.

Cheers!

Perdka Big%20Smile
Roman44 View Drop Down

Quote Roman44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 10:13am
I've heard from a few different places now that Intel has fixed the issue a bit earlier than expected and will begin shipping again in a few days. Not sure if the report is %100 but it looks pretty legit.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20110212/tc_pcworld/inteltoshipnewsandybridgechipsetsnextweek_1
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/110239/20110208/intel-cougar-point-chipset-sandy-bridge.htm
http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/27735/
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 12:31pm
@bakerac,

You will get the extra year of warranty if you purchase before March 31, 2011 and yes, if you drive down the unit, we'll happily replace the motherboard for you.

@Roman44 & @Perdika & @Others,

We're expecting delivery between middle of March to April for the boards.
bakerac View Drop Down

Quote bakerac Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 7:14pm
Thanks, Alex. I drove up to Fremont on Friday and placed my order. Now I'm in the "Stage 1" jitters!!

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 11:58pm
BillS View Drop Down

Quote BillS Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 12:23pm
Spoke to a DS cust support today to make sure my order (placed Feb 14) was marked to wait for the revised P67 boards.  He said DS got an order of the boards in today(!!), but wasn't sure if they were the old or the new boards.  It seems too good to be true that the new boards are in already when they were slated for second half of March, but thought I would check here.

Thanks,
BillS
Regent Square View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Regent Square Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 5:17pm

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Cougar-Point-Sandy-Bridge-B3-Stepping-product-change-notification-chipsets,12184.html
I think that will decrease damage of motherboard. Does new motherboards with new B3 chips get delivered DS?
Divine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Divine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 8:57pm
So just now I got an email saying im at stage 5, so went up 2 stages in 1 day...im totally lost how is this possible if I was waiting on the "fixed" batch of motherboards to get my maximus iv extreme??? Did you get the "fixed" batch allready, or am I mising something cause as far as I know you cant stress test without a motherboard, unless your using a dummy test board...im so lost, got me totally confused Confused

Edited by Divine - 16 Feb 2011 at 8:59pm
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Divine

So just now I got an email saying im at stage 5, so went up 2 stages in 1 day...im totally lost how is this possible if I was waiting on the "fixed" batch of motherboards to get my maximus iv extreme??? Did you get the "fixed" batch allready, or am I mising something cause as far as I know you cant stress test without a motherboard, unless your using a dummy test board...im so lost, got me totally confused Confused

i spoke to a DS agent today about a computer im going to purchase in the next few days and he said they got a batch of new boards in today.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 11:57pm
I believe it's a misunderstanding. The boards that came in today are most likely still the B2 revision of the support chip, not B3. That won't be out until the middle of March at the very earliest to actual inventory in April.

This isn't a critical issue nevertheless, and even the chance of performance degradation on the affected SATA ports that a optical or even hard drive may plug into is only 5%-10%.

If you guys were waiting for the B3 stepping and were willing to wait, I recommend sending me an email: Management@digitalstormonline.com and I'll dig into it for you.
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Alex

I believe it's a misunderstanding. The boards that came in today are most likely still the B2 revision of the support chip, not B3. That won't be out until the middle of March at the very earliest to actual inventory in April.

This isn't a critical issue nevertheless, and even the chance of performance degradation on the affected SATA ports that a optical or even hard drive may plug into is only 5%-10%.

If you guys were waiting for the B3 stepping and were willing to wait, I recommend sending me an email: Management@digitalstormonline.com and I'll dig into it for you.

sine ur on alex wouldnt the asus deluxe board not be affected since i thas 2 native ports and 2 additional sata 3 ports via a marvell controller? obviously as long as u dont use the sata 2 ports.

Edited by RiceEatin2000GT - 17 Feb 2011 at 12:11am
DraxDemonkin View Drop Down

Quote DraxDemonkin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 1:33am
Divine,

I'm right there with you.  My status jumped up to Stage 5 also.  I sent an email requesting verification that they are using the "revised" Maximus IV.  I should get a response tomorrow.

Alex,

Clarification would be nice. Big%20Smile

Edited by DraxDemonkin - 17 Feb 2011 at 1:38am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 2:27am
@RiceEatin2000GT,

That's correct, I just checked.
Divine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Divine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 3:39am
Im going to sleep on it, part of me would like to see my pc faster since my laptop is starting to act up, yesterday I was playing wow and it shut it self off from overheating im guessing since it was burning up, even with a cooling pad it didnt stop it. But part of me is saying send and email and wait for the boards in march. It would of been nice if they would of asked before poping in a none revised board tho, what if I didnt check my email for awhile lol...I would of never known till it arrived on my doorstep.

@Alex, so the boards coming in march now Instead of April? Or is full stock just in April and short supply of boards in March? If I still decide to wait im "guarenteed" a board correct since I agreed to wait for my board days after the issue arised? I just dont want to wait and when a small shipment comes in get a call saying sorry but we didnt have enough to do your order...

Edited by Divine - 17 Feb 2011 at 3:41am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 3:58am
Rice marvel ports are not good to use for HDD, media drives yes.    
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 12:48pm
@Divine,

It may just be a misunderstanding by the inventory team. The new delivery we got are still the B2 revision of the support chipset. Intel resumed supply of the B2 revision to system builders/OEM since it is not a critical issue.

The current date we have is mid-March to April. That's what Asus is saying.

Quote DraxDemonkin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 7:53pm
Divine,

Here is a copy of the reply email I received today.

"Your order is being held the updates are automated because your system is mainly built but we are still waiting on the new revised board to come in before the actual testing would begin."

I assume that will pertain to your order too. Confused

Quote DraxDemonkin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 7:59pm
BTW, here's the build I went with, in case anyone is interested.

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme (Intel P67 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1002FAEX)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Green)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: FREE: Overclock the processor between 3.6GHz to 3.9GHz
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Pre-Install Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Xtra Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Sub-Total: $2,545.00
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 8:42pm
Ah, that makes sense. They are per-testing all of the other hardware components in the mean time while we're waiting for the boards to come in.

That way, your system will ship a lot sooner than waiting another 2-3 weeks (10-15 business days) after the boards arrive in mid-March or April.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>