Post Date: 2012-04-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BrRed View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BrRed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Desktop Config
    Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 1:47am

Planning on purchasing a new desktop in early June and this is what I have thus far.
-Budget:  No more than $7000. Already have 3x 1920x1080 monitors, keyboard (USB), Mouse (USB), Headset (USB), HDD/SSD excluding a SSD for OS, and non-essential software
-Expectations:  Nothing too extreme, Support 3-4 monitors. Graphics and Auto are heavy points for me in games.
-Usage:  90% gaming/movies/music/photo editing, latest games of all genres. 1% web surfing. 9% work related (plans, publications & presentations).
-Special Needs:  None really. I do move around a lot (military) could end up in a frigid environment, Dustville, or another 100% humidity tropical beach with lots of annoying sand everywhere.

Here is my current Ticket No.  682043
And full list.
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Syndicate
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Corsair Vengeance (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: Dual Solid State Hard Drive Hot Swap Bay
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F120GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: !PROMOTION: Killer 2100 (Optimized for Online Gaming) Lag and Latency Reduction
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards & Chipset
H20 Tube Color:Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Small)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Main Questions;
-Want to ensure the motherboard I selected will accept 2x GPUs, dedicated Sound card, and a Bigfoot Network Card.
-Is there a special request for vertical configuration as opposed to horizontal?

Also, currently in +3 time zone, so may be some time between posts. Won’t be back state side till May-June.

Edit - Should also note, If you intend to make changes/suggestions on specifics, please give reasons for any changes as well as data or references to help back your suggestion. (doesn't have to be too detailed, just want to know why I would need to pick your option.) Thank you.

Edited by BrRed - 30 Apr 2012 at 2:07am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 4:10am
Hi BrRed....Welcome to the forums.   That build looks pretty darn good but I would suggest a couple of changes.

The best case for water cooling is the Hailstorm  800D.  The one you picked will be alot noisier and cramps things in.  Plus with Hailstorm the added fan kit isn't unnecessary.  Actually, for full water cooling the fans aren't needed in the U 2 either unless looks are the thing.  Either case will work of course but the 800D is the preferred.

I've heard nothing good about the Killer 2100 card,.  Most say it's a waste, but I have never used..

For your budget I'd move SSD up to the 180GB series 520 and put in the 1TB Western Digital Black for data storage.

This mobo will handle sli and audio card no problem and the 2100 if you keep it.  The video cards plug into the blue pciex16 slots and the others would be put into the lighter pcie x8 slots I believe.

If you only want sli then the 1050Hx could handle it but the 1200W is great for any expansion later. 

Thinking down the road, if you ever want tri-sli 3x 680 then you might consider the Extreme Rampage mob, the extra pci slots allowing the 3x680 and slots for audio and Killer.

With a full water cooled setup, vertical vs horizontal cooling is not an issue.  I don't think one is better than the other if sufficient air flow is maintained. But, horizontal's like the HafX can get great airflow with larger, slower moving fans and vert systems tend to use smaller and louder fans. It's all about the air flow.

Go to stage 2 oc, you have the cooling to take care of it.

Hope this helps and Good LuckBig%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 30 Apr 2012 at 5:45am
BrRed View Drop Down

Quote BrRed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 5:43am
Thank you for the information.
Had picked the Sydicate due to stability.. I don't like setting my desktops anywhere below 3 feet off the ground, I also like them to be in the open for more easy access. The last tower I had got hit when I slung a bag on my back and went crashing to the floor. 1 graphics card, my network card, the plexy glass panel and the fan mounted in it, and 1 monitor were completely in-op. Luckly no problems with any of the hard drives I had installed.
After that I started buying box chassis and haven't had a problem since. The noise won't bother me.

Good on data storage drive already, still have about 1.2 TB of total free space on my current drives.
Though is there much a difference in the SSD mentioned? Only need that one for the operating system.

Thank you again for answering my questions, and for the information.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 5:51am
This case will definitely be more stable with you hitting pc's with bags and all.Big%20Smile

I don't know SSD's as others that might chime in, but the consensus is the 520 series for speed and reliabilty but they're all good in my book.  For Os the 120GB would be plenty.  Fast is fast.

darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 6:16am
Bprat..why are you up so early?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 6:25am
LOL  Old habits die hard.   Plus, early morning is sooooooo quiet.
darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 6:46am
i thought me going to work at 6 PST is early enough, guess not lol
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 7:58am
Hi BrRed,

I think bprat22 has given you some good advice. I agree with his suggestions.

Here is a system that I think will be better for you based on your comments.

1. Nothing you listed requires a lot of CPU power so I suggest you get the 3820 CPU rather than the 3930. For gaming they will give equal performance. This will save you $300.

2. You state you might go with 3 or 4 monitors. If you are gaming across three monitors I would want tri-SLI instead of dual-SLI. If you are capable of opening the GPU LC loop and add the third GPU then you could consider getting dual-SLI and adding the third GPU your self. If or when you need it.

3. The 1200w PS is only good for up to 3 GPUs. If you need to add a fourth GPU then you will need the 1500w PS.

6. The Killer 2100 is a total waste of money. Even if it did what it says it will do the improvement will be so small that you would never know the difference. Its a malarkey card.

7. You need the Extreme Rampage Mobo to have the ability to expand your system.

8. The Intel 520 SSD is a better choice than the Corsair. You say you will only put the OS on the SSD. That would be a waste. You need to have the programs that your use the most and the games you play the most on the SSD. Most people eventually run out of space on the 120Gb SSD and that is why we usually suggest the 180GB. I put in the 120Gb Intel 520 just because you said that is all you need.

9. I changed your memory to the DS 1600Mhz. There is no difference in the performance of the DS or Corsair or any other memory modules.

10. You said you watch movies so I changed the DVD writer to a Blu-ray Player/DVD writer. It is only a few bucks more and probably better for your application.

11. I changed the CPU OC to stage 2. With the LC system it would be a waste not to go to stage 2 OC. The 3820 CPU doesn't generate as much heat as the 3930 and just a waste not to go with stage 2 OC. In fact there is no reason not to go stage 2 with the 3930.

Frank

Configuration: 682120 Cost: $6031

Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz (Turbo Mode up to 3.8GHz) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (PhysX) (Overclocked EVGA 02G-P4-2682-BR)
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Triple SLI/CrossFire Video Cards
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

Edited by FrankW - 30 Apr 2012 at 7:59am
BrRed View Drop Down

Quote BrRed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2012 at 2:13am

Thank you for your input, I know very little about processors and motherboards and that helped.

I should also clarify I will rarely run a game across multiple monitors. I use multiple monitors so I can watch movies/videos, and have all chats, vent, and any game related material open and visible at the same time. Do you still think this needs 3 graphics cards? I am sure I would be capable of adding additional hardware if needed, though would prefer a trained professional to do it.

Understand where you are going with the Killer 2100. When I had one it did only improve my lag by an average of 10 ms, but the part I like most was the bandwidth control.

Last thing I noticed you took out the LC for the chipset, is there a significance to this change?

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2012 at 5:53am
Hi BrRed,

No you do not need Tri-SLI if you are only gaming on one monitor at 1920 x 1080. You could probably do what you want with a single 680. Now when you upgrade to a 2550 x 1600 monitor you will need dual 680s. Then there is a chance that 3D gets to a point that it is worth the money and you will need SLI for that. A lot of this has to do with what setting you use gaming and how many FPS you want. Most of us over build our systems just so every game is set on the highest settings with high FPS. If I was building a gang buster system like you are thinking about I would want SLI 680s.

In regards to the LC for the chip set. I just picked the wrong option for the LC. If you want it just pick the option that provides it. Some get it, some don't. I don't know about the Syndicate case. If you are adding additional fans you probably don't need it. This is a question with someone who has the Syndicate case or for DS.

Frank
BrRed View Drop Down

Quote BrRed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2012 at 3:22am

Thank you alot Frank for your assistance.

I have thought about getting a 2560x1600 monitor, just haven't found one that I really like yet.  I'm not sure if I have already said this, I am looking to run games in high-ultra settings while maintaing a 60+ FPS even in the most hecktic moments.  Been forgetting alot of details lately Oops almost time to go back home, lots of good reviews about DS, and the general excitement of buying a new desktop.

Back to one of my previous questions.  About the vertical config, should that be listed in the special assembly section or is it something I should contact DS about?
Also changed to the new GTX 690s (what I was originally hopeing for but weren't out yet) and from what I have ready DS does not currently have waterblocks for LC.  Though I have never done anything with liquid cooling GPUs or dual GPU single cards for that matter.  Wouldn't be too sure on which cooling option to chose from anyways.

Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz (Turbo Mode up to 3.8GHz) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Internet Access: !PROMOTION: Killer 2100 (Optimized for Online Gaming) Lag and Latency Reduction
Video Card: 2x SLI Quad SLI (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards & Chipset
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2012 at 4:20am
Hi BrRed......Great build.     As far as vertical cooling, that case is not a vertical cooling case.   Now Mountain Mods does allow a ton of different case setups, a very modular design, and I guess DS would know if this could be set that way.  I would be surprised.  For the liquid cooling you picked, the rads I believe would be mounted to the front and back plate and vert. cooling wouldn't make any difference.

I heard DS will have 690 water blocks in a month or so, and for that case liquid cooling is the way to go.  The gtx690 has a radial cooling fan mounted in the middle that kicks half the heat out the back plate and the rest into the case.     That case might be stressed trying to get rid of the heat without the rads doing most of the work.  DS would know better than us, having done this.

That build will definitely give you the extreme gaming on 30" monitor that you want.   Best of luck and keep us updated.  Big%20Smile

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2012 at 7:44am
Hi BrRed,

I agree with bprat22, this is not the case for vertical cooling. The case is so versatile that you could probably arrange it but not with the best layout. This is definitely a question for DS. But, lets be realistic, you don't need vertical cooling. You are building a LC system and there would be zero advantage to setting up your mobo for vertical cooling. Vertical cooling is intended for air cooled systems.

I am sorry at this late stage to bring this up but DS has decided that the 3820 is not a good candidate for stage-2 over clock. So you have a few options.

1. You can drop back to stage-1 OC. Not a good choice in my opinion.

2. Or you go back to the 3930K CPU with stage-2 OC

3. You can abandon the X79 platform and get a system built for the 3770K CPU.

For a gaming machine there is no reason to get the X79 six core CPU so my suggestion is to get a 3770K system. All you will have to do is change the Mobo to the ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE (Intel Z77 Chipset) and get the 3770K CPU. This will give you tri-SLI capability.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 05 May 2012 at 7:46am
 Post Reply Post Reply