Dedicated Sound Card

Post Date: 2014-04-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Dedicated Sound Card
    Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 12:40pm

What purpose does it serve to get a dedicated sound card? What would you have to use the system for in order for the money spent to be "worth it"?

Is it just a better quality of sound over integrated motherboard audio, or is it really for when you aren't just gaming?

Are there certain mobo's, like the Rampage IV Black Edition, that are strong enough that it wouldn't make sense to get a sound card in addition?
DSDoug View Drop Down

Quote DSDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 2:04pm

Many high end sound cards are external which is supposed to reduce the level of interference by placing the card further away from the physical components of the computer.

In recent years onboard sound has reached a quality so high that I don't recommend purchasing an aftermarket sound card as I doubt you'll notice any difference, except for a big hole in your wallet.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 6:58pm
It really depends on what you are using to listen to the audio. Are you using a regular $30 headphone or 150$? When you get to the higher end models, adding a sound card can help. However, solutions like those on the Rampage IV Black Edition are more than plenty for the average user.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 12:08am
Like Nav stated, depends on the end user what makes the expense of an add-on audio card worth it... Audiophiles will most certainly notice and prefer the add-on card regardless of it's expense and headphones/speakers the user is using will also make a difference. Majority of users will be plenty happy with onboard audio. You could look at it this way - the average PC user is happy with onboard video but a gamer or graphics person will pay extra for an add-on graphics card (which is all of us here!!)...
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 3:41pm
I got the separate sound card with front panel controls and connections. I have been happy with it especially when using my Sennheisier PC 350 headphones on the Soundblaster Fatal1ty soundcard. Love the 3D effect that you can use along with the other adjustments.
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 9:03am
Just make sure you get a pair of headphones that uses the card, and not USB. Your USB ports will always use the integrated digital signal, regardless of a "dedicated sound card."

A lot of people forget that part, and spend $100+ on a sound card, another $100+ on a pair of headphones that USB... Basically leaving them with an unused soundcard.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
Theokritos View Drop Down

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Meller

Just make sure you get a pair of headphones that uses the card, and not USB. Your USB ports will always use the integrated digital signal, regardless of a "dedicated sound card."

A lot of people forget that part, and spend $100+ on a sound card, another $100+ on a pair of headphones that USB... Basically leaving them with an unused soundcard.

Thank you for that very important piece of information.  Big%20Smile
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 3:20am
Originally posted by Theokritos

Thank you for that very important piece of information.  Big%20Smile

It's like 6 am... so my sarcasm radar isn't working yet. Unable to tell if sincere or not. I'll assume so, and say "Hey no problem. Any time."
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 5:30am
Heh. Whether it was sincere or not, I believe I have made that mistake in the past. So if nothing else, you've at least made a difference for one person Big%20Smile
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 12:53pm

Very good information and something people can easily forget or overlook.  If only this were Reddit, I'd give you gold.Awesome
 Post Reply Post Reply