FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Debating between x17 and x17E

Post Date: 2012-04-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sinsear View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sinsear Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Debating between x17 and x17E
    Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 3:35pm
I'm currently debating on wheter or not I will be purchasing the x17 or x17e. I plan on playing TERA(maybe game looks like a slow action game from some reviews by some korean players i know), Guild Wars 2 and battlefield 3. Due to the fact that I move around alot and have a limited space (i.e. the barracks) and it would be a pain in the ass to shove a case/tower into a cabinet and pull it back out. I am pretty much stuck with getting a laptop. Below are the following specs and would like to know of any recommended changes some people would like to offer.

Chassis Model: Digital Storm x17 Laptop (Model: 9170)
Display: 17.3 Inch (16:9) (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) (Glossy Surface) LED-Backlit Display
Processor: Intel Core i7 2760QM (2.4 GHz Turbo Mode to 3.5Ghz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache) thinking of maybe getting the 2860.
Thermal Compound: Premium IC Diamond CPU and GPU Thermal Compound (Reduces Thermal & Laptop Noise)
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Primary Hard Drive: Intel 180GB SSD (520 Series) (SATA 6Gb/s)
Secondary Hard Drive: 500GB 7200RPM (SATA 3Gb/s)
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player (Blu-Ray 6x) & DVD/CD Writer
Wireless Card: Bigfoot Networks Killer Wireless-N 1103 (Reduces Latency for Online Gaming)
Video Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M 2GB with NVIDIA Optimus Technology
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Chassis Model: Digital Storm x17E Laptop (Model: 9270)
Display: 17.3 Inch (16:9) (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) (Glossy Surface) LED-Backlit Display
Processor: Intel Core i7-3930K (3.2GHz Turbo Mode to 3.8Ghz) (Six Core) (12MB Cache)
Thermal Compound: Premium IC Diamond CPU and GPU Thermal Compound (Reduces Thermal & Laptop Noise)
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
Primary Hard Drive: Intel 180GB SSD (520 Series) (SATA 6Gb/s)
Secondary Hard Drive: 500GB 7200RPM (SATA 3Gb/s)
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player (Blu-Ray 6x) & DVD/CD Writer
Wireless Card: Bigfoot Networks Killer Wireless-N 1103 (Reduces Latency for Online Gaming)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M 2GB
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
I was thinking of getting the 3820 quad processor for the x17e and maybe SLI. But I am wondering if that would be too much.
For some reason I cannot add or view the other post that had already been posted with the same question, but i would appreciate any help on this matter.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 8:11pm
The x17E is honestly more of a full on desktop replacement unit. The x17 is a more lean and efficient gaming laptop. I would personally say that the x17 would be a better choice, as it's also thinner and doesn't use a desktop based CPU which will consume a lot more power/battery than a normal laptop CPU such as the x17 has.
Sinsear View Drop Down

Quote Sinsear Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 8:34pm
Would the x17 perform relatively the same as the x17e? I am not too concerned about battery life because even though i will move around alot I will generally have access to an outlet. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on performance / cost between the two and the ability to play some upcoming and recent games.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 8:48pm
For gaming, the difference will be very, very small. For heavy multi-threaded stuff such as rendering, computing, editing videos/photos, heavy multi-tasking, the X17E with it's desktop based CPUs will be faster.

If you want a well rounded, high end laptop, the X17E is a great option if your budget allows, or, if you want a nice fast gaming laptop that will still be great for general computing, the X17 will not disappoint.
Falkus View Drop Down

Quote Falkus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 12:51pm
I'm actually in kind of the same situation as you
I went with the x17, the x17E is pretty bulky and, like Alex said, is fine for gaming. With your specs you would be able to handle all those games without a problem.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 1:07pm
Big%20Smile
Sinsear View Drop Down

Quote Sinsear Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 2:50pm
Sinsear View Drop Down

Quote Sinsear Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 2:53pm
Yeah im going to go with the 17x, i just looked at the specs again and it wouldnt fit into my pelican case either, and i would save a bit more money with the 17x. Just need to fill the order now. Just hoping a rush delivery option isnt as pricey as I would imagine (my laptop broke recently as well), guess 8 months of dirt dust and it being thrown around have finally set in. (Although it did last nearly 2 years).
Sinsear View Drop Down

Quote Sinsear Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 3:37pm
Ah .... accidentally ordered twice I think. Got an error saying to contact digital storm and didnt get a email confirmation and I also tried calling but obviously its a weekend. And now i have 2 confirmation emails. Also didnt see an expedite option but is that something that I can work out with the DS?
Falkus View Drop Down

Quote Falkus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 10:07am
I got two shipping confirmation e-mails as well, but they were the same e-mail, so I just think it got sent twice.
 Post Reply Post Reply