FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Couple questions

Post Date: 2015-01-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zreeve View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote zreeve Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Couple questions
    Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 12:13pm
Hello, my budget for this pc is about $6,000.  I've been saving for awhile and want a top of the line machine but only in performance, I do not want to spend extra doing anything cosmetic.

I will use this pc for casual gaming and for programming projects that I like to do.  These projects will often run on all cores %100 for hours at a time so performance is a big factor to me.  So what I am mainly looking for is the fastest pc I can get in my price range.  here are my questions for you guys:

1.  I noticed the aventum II model and the hailstorm II models with similar specs are a few hundreds dolars apart in price, is this all in the case?  how much does the case actually matter?  is there a cheaper case option that keeps the system cool and expandable  just as well as these?

2. I'm wanting to get the Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X processor with stage 2 overclocking.  What would the difference be between getting 2666mhz ram vs 2800mhz ram?  would picking one over the other allow a higher multiplier on the processor?

3.  I would like to save money by getting just 1 video card and upgrading to 2 in SLI later.  what is a good high end video card that has good value for the money?

4.  is there anything I should know about picking a motherboard?

Thanks for any help, this is the configuration I'm currently considering:
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 2:04pm
1. Cases dictate cooling options. Bigger cases, more options. I prefer cases smaller than their two biggest cases, yet have good airflow. I ordered a Velox, but they are out of stock, and I am waiting, so can't comment on them personally
2. If you don't need 8 cores, which you normally would not for programming and gaming ( I am a programmer, and normally don't need 8 cores for my dev machine,) you can save money by dropping to the 5930 or 5820 - you give up some L3 cache and 2 cores ( 4 virtual cores.) If you really need 8 cores and have the money, go for it. For RAM I really doubt there's a big difference there. Serious overclockers might want to up the base clock and need faster RAM, not sure on that, but slower than 2800 seems like a reasonable cost vs. performance tradeoff
3. GTX 970 would be excellent value, and adding a second card later for SLI also excellent value
4. Most X99 mobos have been reviewed. You might want to peruse the reviews. There are fans for Gigabyte, Asus and Asrock. There were some negative posts on New Egg with regards to the ASUS, hard to say what percentage of people had issues

"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 2:41pm
Hi zreeve,

Here is a suggested system that will do the job for you.

There is no reason to go with an Aventum II or Hailstorm II cases. Here is a build on the Velox which has liquid cooling on the CPU and air cooling on the GPU. The liquid cooling is a closed loop and requires no maintenance.

The 5960X is a power house CPU but you state you will be running it 100% for long periods of time. Running 100% on all cores for extended times is a heck of a load and if it was me I would stay with the stage 1 OC.

You are way over powered for the system you have configured. I put in a 1050w unit but according to your future requires you might even get by with a 850w.

Frank

Configuration Code: 1139779 Cost: $4978

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X 3.0GHz (Eight-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair HX1050
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
zreeve View Drop Down

Quote zreeve Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 6:43pm
Thanks for the info guys, this is helpful.
 Post Reply Post Reply