Corsair PS Connection to DVD

Post Date: 2014-11-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Grape View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Grape Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Corsair PS Connection to DVD
    Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 2:36pm

Last August the initial Corsair 1050 HX power supply had to be replaced. I was extremely careful to take picture and draw diagrams of connections, wires, etc.

Recently got a new software program, and tried to install it, but I could not open my DVD drive. I contacted support and received feedback that it sounded like no power to the DVD drive. I tried disconnecting and re-connecting the cable to DVD and cable labeled peripheral/SATA with no success.

I must be missing something. Is there a video for checking the correct cables and connecting them???? Is there a cable from DVD to the motherboard? I am wondering if I missed that.

Awaiting feedback from tech support, but thought if I could see the actual layout.

thanks,
Digital Storm Velox
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz
16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm
750W EVGA SuperNOVA
1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
500GB Samsung 850 EVO
Western Digital/Seagate 1 TB
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 2:53pm
Yes, there are two cables to the DVD, the psu cable and a SATA data cable from it to a SATA port on the motherboard.

The connections and cables are the same as your hard drive/SDD, if you want to compare.

Edited by bprat22 - 21 Nov 2014 at 3:06pm
Grape View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Grape Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Yes, there are two cables to the DVD, the psu cable and a SATA data cable from it to a SATA port on the motherboard.

The connections and cables are the same as your hard drive/SDD, if you want to compare.

So could the SATA data cable to the SATA port on motherboard keep the DVD from opening up?

I feel like such a novice. I must have not reconnected all correctly to either the power supply or motherboard.
Digital Storm Velox
750W EVGA SuperNOVA
1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
500GB Samsung 850 EVO
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 4:13pm
The drive should open with just the power cable from the power supply. Does a green led light when trying to use it? If it has one.   That would tell you it has power.   I would unplug it and try another connector.   Make sure to also check the connection at the power supply itself, being a modular unit where the cables plug in and not hard wired.

There also should be a small hole usually below the tray. A small paper clip stuck in the hole will manually open it. After that it might work.

Compare the connectors and connection to your hard drive as a double check.

Grape View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Grape Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 6:05pm

The drive should open with just the power cable from the power supply. Does a green led light when trying to use it? If it has one.   That would tell you it has power.   I would unplug it and try another connector.   Make sure to also check the connection at the power supply itself, being a modular unit where the cables plug in and not hard wired.

There also should be a small hole usually below the tray. A small paper clip stuck in the hole will manually open it. After that it might work.

Power light on DVD does not come on. I did try the small hole and I could feel it go in, but it did not open the tray. I tried again, and there is no resistance when I push in the paperclip, so it is stuck????

I will try the connections again.
Digital Storm Velox
750W EVGA SuperNOVA
1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
500GB Samsung 850 EVO
Grape View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Grape Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Grape

Power light on DVD does not come on. I did try the small hole and I could feel it go in, but it did not open the tray. I tried again, and there is no resistance when I push in the paperclip, so it is stuck????

I will try the connections again.

As my other DS desktop computer, should not the DVD drive show up as the C and E drives when I click on Computer icon????

Digital Storm Velox
750W EVGA SuperNOVA
1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
500GB Samsung 850 EVO
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 8:14am
Yep,if the DVD is working it'll show as drive D or E, depending on your other drives.    It won't show up if the SATA data cable to the motherboard isn't connected, or if it has no power or is dead. This sounds like you have a bad drive, if your sure the power to it from the psu is correct. If the drive spun up and the tray opened and a no show as drive D or E then it would be the SATA to the mobo. If the tray doesn't open, no spin up and no LED then the power to it is bad or the DVD is bad.

The DVD first needs power for it to operate and then a data link, the Sata to the mobo, for it to talk to the pc.   

Any chance you can try it in your other rig? Swap the DVD drives and that will tell you for sure with you using a known good hookup. You don't have to unmount the old DVD but you will with the new one and take it over there and swap the cables to it.

Good luck.   

Edited by bprat22 - 22 Nov 2014 at 8:18am
Grape View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Grape Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 8:11am

Yep,if the DVD is working it'll show as drive D or E, depending on your other drives.    It won't show up if the SATA data cable to the motherboard isn't connected, or if it has no power or is dead. This sounds like you have a bad drive, if your sure the power to it from the psu is correct. If the drive spun up and the tray opened and a no show as drive D or E then it would be the SATA to the mobo. If the tray doesn't open, no spin up and no LED then the power to it is bad or the DVD is bad.

The DVD first needs power for it to operate and then a data link, the Sata to the mobo, for it to talk to the pc.   

Any chance you can try it in your other rig? Swap the DVD drives and that will tell you for sure with you using a known good hookup. You don't have to unmount the old DVD but you will with the new one and take it over there and swap the cables to it.

Good luck.   

Good suggestion, will try it in the near future.

thx
Digital Storm Velox
750W EVGA SuperNOVA
1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
500GB Samsung 850 EVO
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 8:18am
Hope it works out.
 Post Reply Post Reply