FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corsair 800W Problem

Post Date: 2012-07-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RJEwing View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RJEwing Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Corsair 800W Problem
    Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 5:02pm
Hi everyone,

I recieved my computer on Friday and spent Saturday setting it up, updating drivers and so forth.  I installed Dragon Age 2 and played for about ten minutes.  My screem went blank, so I looked at my tower which had no lights on.  Then I heard a pop and saw a spark from the bottom rear of my tower, where my PSU is.  Everything I have read leads me to believe that Corsair is a dependable company, so I guess I just experianced a fluke?  I unplugged the PSU from the wall and am waiting for DS Tech Support to open tomorrow.  Anyone else experiance anything like this with PSUs or new computers? Not looking forward to shipping it back and forth, but I don't want to pay out of pocket either.  Sigh!  Thanks!

Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Higher Overclocks and Unique Wi-Fi Features)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology) (EVGA 012-P3-1571-BR)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 5:32pm
Sorry to hear of the problem.      If it is the psu, DS will send you a new one to swap out if you'd like.    It isn't very difficult.     Alot better then shipping it back.   But for the first 30 days they do cover shipping if a problem arises.    Swapping the psu is taking digital pics of the mobo and behind both covers and noting where the conneectors go.    Unplug the cables, unbolt the psu and slowly remove and just reverse the procedure.    Or, have DS walk you thru it over the phone.     Talk to the techs tomorrow and go from there.    Good luuck.
RJEwing View Drop Down

Quote RJEwing Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 5:37pm
Thank you for the reply! Everything I have read leads me to believe it really would not be that hard to replace myself, indeed I'll have to take pictures if that is the route we go.  I looked at the PSU and saw a lot of cables, but I hear everything fits pretty easy.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 5:42pm
It might help with two people if possible.      One feeds the cables through from the mobo cavity while another gently guides them free.     DS can help or people here on the forum will help.     Keep us updated.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Online Status: Online
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 5:44pm
Yes, sorry to hear about your power supply situation. It does happen, even though it's rare, but, it looks like your power supply has gone out. I'm also curious, are you plugging the PSU into a battery backup or something similar?

The best solution is for us to send you a replacement PSU, as they are easy to swap, and taking photos makes it very easy, plus our team can help.
RJEwing View Drop Down

Quote RJEwing Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 5:49pm
The PSU was plugged in to a surge protector. The worst part is not knowing if it is just my PSU that was damaged, or if it even was my PSU. That is why I depend on DS's amazing support :)

Edited by RJEwing - 08 Jul 2012 at 5:50pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 5:52pm
You sure the psu blew and not the surge protector?       Not second guessing just making sure.
RJEwing View Drop Down

Quote RJEwing Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 5:58pm
The PSU cord runs from the top of my desk to the bottom where the surge protector is.  I saw the pop at the back of my tower, plus I'm using the protector on my laptop to type this Big%20Smile ...which might not be a good idea!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 6:07pm
I was hoping it was the surge protectot but guess not.    Let DS take care of this.   You are in good hands.      Best of luck.
RJEwing View Drop Down

Quote RJEwing Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 12:23pm
Yesterday I spoke to Richard at DS and a new PSU is on its way to me. Thanks Richard! I'll let you guys know when I'm back up and gaming. Drooling
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 12:25pm
Thanks.  Big%20Smile
RJEwing View Drop Down

Quote RJEwing Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 1:32pm

If there is a better place to post this, I apologize! I'm taking my old PSU out, and it's fairly simple. The only part that is giving me trouble is disconnecting the PSU cable on the motherboard. There is a clip on the connector to keep it in place on the mb. I need to lift the end of the clip (the part cloesest to the mb) in order to remove the cable, correct? If more information is need, I could always call DSTS, but I would like to save them a phone call about a clip Im%20with%20Stupid

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 1:42pm
The clip on the 24 pin connector is half way up and should release by squeezing the top of clip toward connector and the bottom pulls away from where it hooks.   In most cases it pivots inthe middle.     The connector might be a tight fit so keep latch clip squeezed while gently rocking the connector as you pull it away from mobo.    
RJEwing View Drop Down

Quote RJEwing Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 2:15pm
Got it. There is something to be said about working on your own computer. I've had a laptop for the past few years, and this is my first adventure in to a computer tower. It was almost worth the PSU breaking for this experiance :) I go online whenever I encounter something I'm not sure about and I'm learning a lot! Is this a new DS marketing plot? "Bringing gamers closer to their games." I am VERY impressed with the workmenship of my computer system; the wireing is very complex to present a clean appearance.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 2:21pm
Ya definitely learn by doing.    Doing things like this does make you feel more comfortable and 'one with' your rig.     DS does do this on purpose so you get to see what a great job they do Keep us updated.
surf71zx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote surf71zx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 4:01pm
To bad the PSU wasnt modular. It would of been so much easier to change. I have a Corsair 800 w but have not looked at it. Its got a switch on back to change the color of the LED lights. My 1200 w modular Corsair is in the way of seeing the cables on the 800 w. Two PSUs sitting side by side is a nightmare of cables.
RJEwing View Drop Down

Quote RJEwing Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 4:11pm
The 8 pin that plugs in to the ATX power connector was the worst, as I had to take out a fan just to get to it. I think the next one I get will be modular. I have to zip tie everything back together to keep the wires neat and I don't know if I want to cut all the ties again if I have another problem.
barbitque View Drop Down

Quote barbitque Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 4:01am
Originally posted by surf71zx

To bad the PSU wasnt modular. It would of been so much easier to change. I have a Corsair 800 w but have not looked at it. Its got a switch on back to change the color of the LED lights. My 1200 w modular Corsair is in the way of seeing the cables on the 800 w. Two PSUs sitting side by side is a nightmare of cables.

Indeed. I was even thinking about putting together a twin board system with 4 PSU's in one case. Scared Naming it Frankenstein would be an understatement. Someday if and when I have the time and resources that would be a fun project.
surf71zx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote surf71zx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 10:05am
Only reason I have 2 PSU is for that Cryo-Tec. 
RJEwing View Drop Down

Quote RJEwing Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 1:52pm
Just wanted to let everyone know that I got the new PSU hooked up! I just turned my computer on long enough to see the desktop then shut it back down because I was super nervous! Now all I have to do is tie all the wires back together to make it look nice. Thanks so much for you support everyone! I have one final question on this matter; the PSU is "upside down", as in the fan is pointed towards the bottom of my rig. I assume this is normal since my rig has the air vents at the bottom? I had to double check the pics I took to make sure it was that way in the old PSU. Thanks!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 2:29pm
Congrats on a great job. Glad its fixed.       You did the fan right.
 Post Reply Post Reply