Post Date: 2014-11-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Cooling Vexation
    Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 6:02pm
Hi Folks,
I am trying to get some opinions on what to choose as a cooler for my rig.  I'll be going with the Corsair Air 540 case; the Intel 5960X and more than likely x3 980s.  With that said, I really do not want to go with full blown water option.  While nice I've been trying to do some reading on various cooling systems, I think I now have analysis paralysis on the cooling choice. 

So I have it down to a number of coolers.  Some are offered by DS and others would need to be special ordered.  The special order does bother me not because of the cost but the effect it has on the Warranty and potential return of the machine if it's a lemon. 

What do folks think is the best choice of the following:

DS Offered Coolers (AIOs):
1). Corsair H100i - 240 mm radiator that has decent reviews but I hear is very noisy.
2). Corsair H110 - 280 mm radiator better cooler than H100i but not as feature rich.

Possible Ordered Coolers:
1). NZXT Kraken X61 - 280mm radiator; feature rich and gets really nice numbers.

2). Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - 360mm radiator AIO.  Best numbers of all the AIOs but is massive and has a potential issue with the plastic back plate.  Also probably the most expensive.

3). Swiftech H220-X - 240 mm radiator; most customizable and can add to the loop.  Closest to full water cooled and requires maintenance after 3 yrs.

4). Fractal Design Kelvin S36 - 360mm radiator; highly customizable.

5). Noctua NH-D-15 - best air cooler

Any thoughts or opinions?  Any input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 6:27pm
I like the look of the Swiftech one, its pretty sweet and some of the folks on the overclock.net site say it cools their cpu pretty well
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 3:35am
Hi Dax... What's the issue with warranty on Special Orders? Is it just warranty on that part or does it go further?

My initial picks would be Noctua for Special Order or H110 for in house.   For me, feature rich can sometimes mean more potential problems. I like a cooler that just sits there and works.

When I get to my rig I'll Google the other picks. Some I've never looked into.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 9:21am
Thanks Arkansas.  It does look interesting and is getting some great reviews too.

Hey bprat - I'm curious as to what you think of some of those others when you get a second.  With regard to the special order question, when I was looking into this issue for the potential special order of the Noctua and the HAF-X case back in June of this year, my question to John at DS (whom Alex directed me toward) was:  Will DS warrant these special order parts?  

His reply was:
"One year DS warranty and the system cannot be returned for refund due to special order parts."

At the time, I do believe they were offering an extended warranty offer / special also.  So I came away from that thinking that even with extended warranty offerings for the special they were running at that time (adding an additional year kind of like they are doing now),  the special order part would only have the 1 year and if there were issues you couldn't return the rig.  I could be misinterpreting but that's what I got from that.  That said, if the manufacturers warranty on the hardware is longer, I guess that's moot but then you have the hassle of doing the RMA yourself.  I could be missing the boat/misinterpreting but it is something to consider...

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 9:50am
Can't remember where i read it but i did see that if you special order a part and if you were having issues with said part you couldn't return the rig could have misread that. Also i saw this in the warranty page:

Digital Storm will also not replace, repair, or refund on any purchase if the item serial numbers do not match, or if the product is not sold directly by Digital Storm.

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 19 Nov 2014 at 9:51am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 10:30am
You can really go bug-eyed trying to figure out the right pick , with all there is out there. Hahaha   I can understand the vexation.  Big%20Smile

They all cool to within 2-4 degrees of each other under heavy load, from the benches i saw.   So, they all get it done.   While i like the Swiftech, it can't do push/pull, which you probably won't do anyways, but the pump is noisy.  Can't control the pump so it is what it is.

The Kraken is real nice with great software.  Not sure if all the bugs they mentioned were ironed out, like getting it to work and temps off a bit.

The Thermaltake is huge and loud, other than that is gets about the best in reviews.

The Fractal s36/24 would be my pick of the AIO's if you special ordered.  Looks a top quality product.  Silent and great performing.  Looks like it was built to expand and the parts are designed to handle the addons, even if you don't.

Funny thing is, when I looked at benches comparing the Noctua to some of the AIO listed, it stays within 2-3 degrees, is generally quieter, except maybe the Fractal, and just works with no worries of extra wiring, software/firmware , etc.

I guess, if I was you.... If I didn't want to special order, I'd get the h110.  If I was going to Special Order, I'd get the Noctua as number 1 and the Fractal as plan B.  Kraken is close if the software is fixed.   

Another consideration.. I believe the Air 540 case would need a 360mm rad mounted to the front.   I would pick a rad size for the top and leave the front fans there to do their job.  The Fractal does have a 360 mm and 240mm version, if I'm not mistaken.   Kraken is 280mm which I think will fit up top. 

Hope this helps and doesn't just add to the confusion.  Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 19 Nov 2014 at 10:35am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 1:04pm
Good input bprat - thanks.  It's crazy the amount of options there are and when you find one that's interesting, another pops up. 

One thing further that I found in my 'due diligence'.  The Fractal is off the table as it appears to not be available in the USA at the moment unfortunately. With regard to the Noctua my 4 concerns are this (understand I'm an 'air' guy at heart):  1). covers the 1st expansion slot; 2). need low profile RAM (not really a big deal I guess); 3). does the fan mess up the air flow in air 540? and 4). (most importantly) the trip across the country from CA to MA with that on the mother board has me concerned.  Thanks as always (last real decision for me I think).  Peace! 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 1:32pm
Yeah, your first 2 concerns are real and especially the first could be a pain if you had to troubleshoot ram.   The 3rd point about messing up airflow has been mentioned by others but I think it actually enhances airflow. A rad mounted above won't be effected by it and some tests have shown more airflow across the mobo because the fans hang lower. Concern #4 is legit. That sucker is heavy.    Slim chance but still there.

As much of an air guy I also am, my next rig might be a sealed liquid.   Not sure though. Might be nice for something new to experience.

I'm dying to what you finally pick.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 1:39pm
If you was only going with one card i would say check out the Thermaltake NiC C5 as its smaller than the Noctua and doesn't cover the ram slots also people have said it cools really well.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 5:40pm
For special ordered hardware, we cannot offer any support/warranty on them. If we order a cooler and it goes bad during test, or 1 or 3 years from then, you will be responsible to get it replaced with the manufacture.

Ideally, we highly suggest using components we normally sell because it makes it easier for us to offer warranty/support on them.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 5:49pm
Thanks Arkansas - that cooler does get pretty good reviews.  I think if I wasn't going to have the processor overclock, that would be a very good option. 

I think I have it down to the Corsair h110 vs. NZXT Kraken X61.  The special order part still bugs me though so I may just go with the Corsair.  Then the next question is should I switch out the Corsair fans for Noctua NF-A14 PWM fans?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 5:51pm
Alex, thanks and I understand.  Would special order fans also fall into this realm?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 5:57pm
Yes.
 Post Reply Post Reply