Cooler Master HAF-X

Post Date: 2014-03-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Cooler Master HAF-X
    Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 8:35am
Hey folks,

Hoping this is the right forum, wasn't sure if I should throw this in here or config or elsewhere.

Mental dilemma aside, wondering if there's any insight from DS about the availability of this case? If it is just sold out/on backorder, I can hold off for a while, but otherwise I may be looking towards going the Hailstorm / liquid cooling route.

Any insight/information would be helpful, as one option is going to wind up stressing the budget a bit more than the other. Thanks!
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 8:47am
You may need to either call DS or send them an email. Or if Alex or Nav shows up they can say for sure. If all else fails you can email Alex at [email protected]
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 9:28am
The team has decided to stop selling it because it was a slow seller for us. If you really want that case, and that only, contact our team to see if we can special order one for you. It may cost a little extra as we would be getting a higher cost on our end since we wouldn't be buying it as a large quantity.
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 9:31am
Thanks for the quick responses, Alex & AKW!

Alex - I just noticed a new white/black cooler master up there in the options - any word on the performance of that one, or how it compares to the HAF-X in terms of efficiency?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Eggy

Thanks for the quick responses, Alex & AKW!

Alex - I just noticed a new white/black cooler master up there in the options - any word on the performance of that one, or how it compares to the HAF-X in terms of efficiency?

Its pretty much similar to the Storm Trooper case and i have no issues with cooling

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 28 Mar 2014 at 9:50am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 9:48am
No more HafX?  I knew this day would come.     Cry
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 10:00am
It's just as great.

I'll be honest, you don't need the HAF-X. Perhaps back in the days when video cards were known to run very hot, or when CPUs were less efficent. Those days have are long gone now.

I suggest any of our cases, the new white/black version is great!
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 10:41am
I guess I was just concerned about heat / airflow issues in the case, since I am looking at SLI 780 Ti ACX cards. Everybody recommended the HAF-X over any other case.
If I wind up going the LC route with the Hailstorm II, I imagine I'll be asking the builders to throw in additional case fans by where the GPUs will go, just to try and get some of that hot air out of the case.
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 1:04pm
I'm with you Eggy - I was looking at the ACX cards also.  That was the case I had targeted when I purchase in a couple of months.  Now there will be an additional charge for the special order makes me a very sad panda...Cry
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 1:17pm
It happens, and I understand. Especially if that case wasn't moving, no reason to keep it in stock. However, now I am dealing with an inner struggle between going for a system along the lines of my first choice, or taking it easier and going for an air-cooled system. I'm confident that DS will make either of them look awesome, but it's more of a "If I'm going to do this, I'm going to do it right" kind of an issue.

Especially if there is no HAF-X available (without special order costs, anyway), I may take another look at finances, bite the bullet, and go something more in line with my original build. It's actually somewhat similar to fstcvc's beast, and that was kind of the look I was originally going for anyway.

Leaning towards the hailstorm II, SLI 780 Ti ACX cards, possibly both liquid cooled (again, do it right). And I imagine I'd want the extra fans on the GPUs just because. As noted in that other thread, I've had some traumatic experiences with heat issues on past rigs, and I'd much rather be safe than sorry, especially if I'm dropping this kind of dough.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 2:09pm
Hi Eggy... just an fyi... If you put the 780ti's under water then no ACX. The ACX is dual fan for air cooling. Water cooling would replace fans with a water block.    
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 1:50pm
Oh! Well, I guess I dropped the ball on that bit of info, haha. What did you say the edge on the ACX is over the 780 Ti? Roughly 10% improvement?

So is it better to throw those in a completely air-cooled case, or in a case with LC, some extra fans on the cards, and just not have the cards liquid cooled?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 2:15pm
It is about 10% or so like you said, but it's not the ACX that does it. The overclocking on the card is the performance boost and the ACX just the dual fan air cooled setup to keep it a little cooler and quieter by some tests.    

Water cooling is more luxury than really needed but the added $$ does give you a quieter and more easily overclocked card and running cooler.

Air cooled cards like the superclocked ACX take care of themselves, and don't need water, as long the case can get rid of the heat.

The 900d Hailstorm case is primarily a water cooled case but should have no trouble with air cooled like 780ti SC ACX in sli. The Hafx is perfect with its side 200mm fan but 900d will work, just more $$ for the case.

I guess, bang for the buck, would be the sli 780ti ACX in a case like the 900d, unless you order the Hafx, and see what DS testing shows. Water cooling is a lot more money.

Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 2:54pm
We do offer the Corsair AIR 540 if you want an air-cooling optimized chassis.

Edited by Nav - 30 Mar 2014 at 2:54pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 2:58pm
Great idea, Nav. I haven't given that case much thought, but it is a real nice case.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 4:05pm
So what would be the best case for air cooling that DS offers now that the Haf-X is gone?Sad
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Dax Doomslayer

So what would be the best case for air cooling that DS offers now that the Haf-X is gone?Sad

I would imagine the Corsair Air
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 5:15pm
Here's another random thought.... Not a popular position with everyone wanting the ACX cards, but in sli, does 10% per card really matter with stacking/scaling? The ACX is a bit quieter and cooler but reference cards with single fan are well in the safe zone.

With a reference card in sli, most cases have little problem. It's the ACX that needs a work -around.

Just me.

Edited by bprat22 - 30 Mar 2014 at 6:46pm
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 5:57am
I was kind of back and forth about that myself, bprat. I'm figuring that the 780 Ti is a powerful enough card that, a 10% boost/overclock isn't insanely necessary, especially if I'm working in SLI.
And it does seem like the issues that switching to the ACX is causing could be remedied by just using the reference card.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 6:10am
Yep, that's what I would do.  The 10% or maybe a little better isn't anything to sneeze at, but in sli I'm not sure it matters.   Just to throw out all the options, if one really wants the ACX in sli, a case with the option to mount side fans would be helpful, if testing shows the need. 

The Marauder C70 can mount 2x 120mm fans; the ODE 600T has a side mesh that is interchangeable with side window and can hold up to 4x 120mm fans.  I have that with 2x 120mm fans.  The Hailstorm 2 900D case has the option in config to have blow holes cut in the side window for 1 or 2 fans by DS. 

Glad its your call.  Hahaha    Although I personally would opt for the reference in sli. 

Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 6:24am
I appreciate the perspective.

It sounds to me like (especially in a LC case), the ACX is potentially more of a headache than the benefits derived would allow for. Especially after the added cost of additional fans / cutting blow holes, depending on the case. Plus I'll save $50 or so by sticking with reference, as well as not stressing about which case I'm using.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 6:33am
Ever since Nav reminded us of the Corsair Air 540 I've done some reading on it and it is different but definitely intriguing.   Big%20Smile       Great air cooling, as-is, but a few dba noisier than other cases.  But the fans can always can tweaked.      Not selling it, just another way to go. 

Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 6:39am
Yeah I took note of that case as well. Would save a couple bucks too, but it just didn't seem as aesthetically pleasing. Hahaha
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 7:06am
I did look at the Air 540 after Nav mentioned it.  I do like the 'cube' and that case does look pretty cool.  However, if I was understanding it correctly, they were talking about SSDs and potential heat issues in that section of the case as that area is partitioned off from the 'fan' areas.  Also, I'm a bit nervous about the plastic for the bays...
 Post Reply Post Reply