FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Computer Problems, need opinions

Post Date: 2012-02-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vladmar View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vladmar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Computer Problems, need opinions
    Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 3:08pm
First let me post my specs.
i5 2500k @ 3.30ghz
ASUS DirectCU II 6950 2GB
8GB DDR3 2000MHZ RAM
ASUS P8P87 Motherboard

Today when i powered on my computer I got no video and my motherboard MemOK light was red. I held down the light for 3 seconds to and released and my computer restarted and the light started to blink red and still no video. Powered down the system and removed one 4GB stick of RAM. Powered the system back on and got video for around 15 seconds and computer completely dies. Computer would not power on at all. Removed power supply and did the paperclip test which the PSU sprang to life. Reconnected all the cables and the system was not powered on and my motherboard light was green but there was a red indicator light on my GPU. Turned on the system and my cpu fan started spinning like crazy and got no video. Turned off my system and unplugged my PCI connectors from my gpu and turned the system back on. This time, all my fans were spinning normally with no abnormal sounds. Still no video but every time i plug my pci cables from my psu to my graphics card the red indicator light will go off when the system is powered on but all my fans go nuts and there is no video on my monitor. I know this sounds pretty crazy but Digital Storm is sending me a new psu claiming that is the culprit. What are your views on this matter? Any responses will be greatly appreciated.
Vladmar View Drop Down

Quote Vladmar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 3:09pm
Edit: Motherboard is P8P67 not 87. My fault.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 4:16pm
Hi Vladmar..... sorry to hear of the problem.   I don't want to second guess DS support, they know their stuff more than me, but I would've said bad graphics card.   Did you re- seat gpu and all ram sticks?   Try not just one but both ram sticks seperately.     Re-seat all connectors to mobo. Unplug Pc and hold power button in for 10 seconds to discharge residual voltage on mobo. Plug back in and try ... It could for sure be psu, sometimes the paper clip check works but psu drops out under load.    See if any of this helps andGood Luck.    DS will fix it.        Oh, if you have an older gpu,try using that just to isolate the problem.   

Edited by bprat22 - 24 Feb 2012 at 4:22pm
Vladmar View Drop Down

Quote Vladmar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 11:00am
Yes, I reseated everything and still the problem persists.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 11:19am
How about if you pull out the gpu and see if it fires up ok.  No video, but just to see if all else works. 

Yesterday my son's pc would turn on, turn off immediatley, on,off, on, off, etc then power on with no video.  He brought it over, I verified the monitor was good.  I pulled the gpu and the pc fired up first time, no problem.  Threw in a new gpu and fixed.

Power supply can cause your symptoms also.  Any access to another gpu, old one, friends, etc? 

This is what I miss about the 'P' series mobo...no integrated graphics to help troubleshoot.  The newer 'Z' series has integrated  gpu. 

Edited by bprat22 - 26 Feb 2012 at 11:26am
 Post Reply Post Reply