Post Date: 2008-03-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Command & Conquer 3 Kane's Wrath!
    Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 1:23am
Yo! To all you C&C fans! Kane's Wrath is out and I bought mine at GameStop yesterday!Heart Woo hoo! Game play so far is same as C&C3 except with new units. There is also a Global Domination game play mode that I haven't yet looked at, but reads as if it combines some turn based strategy with some up close RTS. I'm going through the campaign mode first.
R-dawg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote R-dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 8:01pm
I still need to get around to finishing up the campaign for C&C3. I may check out Kane's Wrath at some point too though.
In case of doubt, make it sound convincing.
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 8:43pm

Not a fan of the C&C line much anymore. I liked the first one and red alert because of the somewhat real/ somewhat fictional storyline. And i understand the storyline had to go into the future and everything, but where its at now, its just...not as much fun cause its all fictional storyline instead of some modern what ifs.

Red Alert was great like that as well. Then Red Alert 2 came out, and suddenly everything turned cartoonish.

I would really love a serious RTS game about an invasion of the USA please....yes you can say World in Conflict, but i dont consider a little nublet of land in Washington state to be a full blown invasion. By the way, i love how on the back of the WiC box it says a full blown invasion of the American heartland! yea right...I didnt know Seattle and the surrounding mountains were the US heartland.
bfrank2me View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bfrank2me Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 8:56pm
Well, maybe not heartland, but the land with the most heart!

I must say it was rather traumatic for those of us living here, and somewhat inspiring to blow the Commies away from the base of the Space Needle and watch SAFECO field in the distance as I called in an artillery strike on it just for a what the hey...

If you want a reasonable simulation of an invasion of the USA, check out Canada's Department of National Defence - I know they've got software that's been simulating it for years - since 1812 in fact.

Bf2m

...the first hundred years are the hardest
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 1:42am
I will never forgive them for bombing the Baldwins.
R-dawg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote R-dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by SunfighterLC

Not a fan of the C&C line much anymore. I liked the first one and red alert because of the somewhat real/ somewhat fictional storyline. And i understand the storyline had to go into the future and everything, but where its at now, its just...not as much fun cause its all fictional storyline instead of some modern what ifs.

Red Alert was great like that as well. Then Red Alert 2 came out, and suddenly everything turned cartoonish.

I would really love a serious RTS game about an invasion of the USA please....yes you can say World in Conflict, but i dont consider a little nublet of land in Washington state to be a full blown invasion. By the way, i love how on the back of the WiC box it says a full blown invasion of the American heartland! yea right...I didnt know Seattle and the surrounding mountains were the US heartland.

I too stopped after Red Alert but then C&C: Generals brought me back. I really liked the style and feel of Generals mostly because it went back to having realistic units. It also didn't restrict you to building within a certain distance of your base which could lead to some very interesting tactics when using GLA.
In case of doubt, make it sound convincing.
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2008 at 7:33pm
I like the pure furturistic sci fi theme with c&c3 Tiberium Wars and c&c3 Kane's Wrath. I don't have to kill those poor guard doggies! In Kane's Wrath, some of the Tiberium Wars storyline is wrapped up with a twist or two and ends in a major cliffhanger. Tongue

The new units available in Kane's Wrath force a change in strategy and add a bit of a learning curve. The new units have different strengths and weaknesses, but feel pretty balanced overall.  Skirmish mode is challenging in that it takes a bit to learn what each faction's strengths and weaknesses are.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 11:14pm
kanes wrath just looks like the same game but with supreme commander epic units, and C&C Generals style pick a sub faction type gameplay.

I miss the day when C&C did something unique and didnt have to rip off ideas. Then again...EA did destroy WestWood long ago. So it doesnt suprise me they turned a great game to medicore crap. Afterall Thats all EA does. They buy up any company that does something unique and uses their unique products name to keep selling medicore crap. After all a lot of people will buy a game that has C&C in the title even if its completely unoriginal and bland.

And for the love of god...BRING BACK EARTH AND BEYOND...

/rant
toasty View Drop Down

Quote toasty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 1:45pm
I think westwood/ea screwed themselves when they made RA2 so unbelievably awesome. I just can't get into any of the new C&C because they feel so slow. 
It's here....AND DOMINATING NOW! =D
4 gigs corsair dominator
evga 8800 gt
780i motherboard
e8400 3.0ghz processor
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 2:20pm
RA2 was a cartoon. And RTS games are NOT supposed to go fast, thats an action game. Thats the main problem with most games today they are designed around fast play, and it sucks. Itd be nice to have a RTS where you can actually care about your units vs sending them into a meatgrinder anyways cause even the "heavy" units wont last more then a few seconds.
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
Charlie View Drop Down
Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 May 2008 at 12:37am

Any tips of getting better at this game? I just want to win a game against my little brother. Cry

Edited by Charlie - 29 May 2008 at 12:39am
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 May 2008 at 2:24pm
It's important to plan out build sequence. I tend to get my defenses going first. I start with a power plant followed by a barracks. While the power plant is building, I order up a surveyor and place the marker at an appropriate expansion point (usually at a choke point or strategically important location). Once the barracks are up, I set a rally point at the surveyor flag and queue up some troopies (remember to mix it up a bit to get best all-around support). Build a crane next and train another surveyor to place in a second expansion location. I follow that up with a defensive watchtower. Once the crane is up, build a refinery and another power plant. (You could build another barracks or support building at this point, however, I find it's easy to bottleneck your base construction by having insufficient power.

Sometimes, I will start up with a power plant, then a refinery, followed up by a war factory in order to pop out vehicles fast... getting a refinery out early can be good if you are going on a reduced economy. I prefer the faster paced start of starting with 40,000. It makes the start a bit exhilarating! Shocked

Everybody plays a bit differently and I tend to be a bit conservative.  The key is to keep building and bringing out the troopies or vehicles. Defensive structures are helpful when you're losing forces. Place them early so you'll be ready. Have fun!

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 May 2008 at 6:37pm
Spam the same kind of units early and just rush, thats all command and conquer has become anyways. I cleansed my hard drive of that nonsense months ago.

Im skipping red alert 3 as well. I liked how the whole line of C&C has gone from serious fiction with logical future weapons to a freaking cartoon like storyline with units that make no sense what so ever and they dont really matter anyways cause they all die in about 4 seconds of sustained fire anyways...so every unit doesnt have a personality its just meat for a grinder.

*end bitch* lol
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
Charlie View Drop Down

Quote Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 2:49am

I'm more of a turtle type player.. Hahaha.

I will rush, when I'm ready. I tried rushing really fast against my brother and I can't even get close to his base. I probably going to record my gameplay against the computer and upload it here for you guys to watch. I think you guys will laugh your ass off.
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 10:02pm
I'm a bit of a turtle player, but I also plan for at least one expansion location near some tiberium so I have cashflow. I also like to expand the base so that there is plenty of room to build support structures later. Rushing a base tends to be a bit costly if you want to succeed. It relies heavily upon choosing the proper units to counter anticipated resistance. Basically, go with the strongest units that will work against your brother's strategy.

My take on spamming units is that it takes away the fun of the game. I like to support my units with complementary forces so that they can survive and gain rank. Higher ranked units, especially hero units, are significantly more effective when it's time to take out a base.

I like to work on air superiority as well. That helps your ground forces during a base assault tremendously if they don't need to face off against defensive structures.
Charlie View Drop Down

Quote Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 11:10pm
I played 5 hours of Kanes Wrath last night. This time, my brother and I were allies. LOL

My weaknesss >> I don't use any hotkeys Cry.
Kain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Kain Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 8:30am

RA2 was a cartoon. And RTS games are NOT supposed to go fast, thats an action game. Thats the main problem with most games today they are designed around fast play, and it sucks. Itd be nice to have a RTS where you can actually care about your units vs sending them into a meatgrinder anyways cause even the "heavy" units wont last more then a few seconds.

I somewhat agree here.  RTS shouldn't be about hardcore FPS or fast paced action.  Real-Time needs to feel more like Real-Time... true fans of the genre are willing to put a few hours into a session and make it more true to form. 

I've been playing Age of Empires 3: Warchiefs... and Asian Dynasties the last few weeks. Doing 40 Min treaty so there are no rushers, etc.. I recommend that if you're looking for slowing a game down a bit.  That's more my pace... I hope the new Starcraft has less of a C&C feel and more toward the old Starcraft/AOE, or even treaty games.
Q9450 2.66 GHZ, 1333fsb/12mb
No overclockage yet!
780i core 2 quad
4gb DDR 2 @ 1066mhz
8800GTX @ 768mb

Sblaster Xfi Xtreme
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2008 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Kain

I somewhat agree here.  RTS shouldn't be about hardcore FPS or fast paced action.  Real-Time needs to feel more like Real-Time... true fans of the genre are willing to put a few hours into a session and make it more true to form. 

I've been playing Age of Empires 3: Warchiefs... and Asian Dynasties the last few weeks. Doing 40 Min treaty so there are no rushers, etc.. I recommend that if you're looking for slowing a game down a bit.  That's more my pace... I hope the new Starcraft has less of a C&C feel and more toward the old Starcraft/AOE, or even treaty games.

Along this same line, the way I make it feel more strategic (or is that strategery... LOL), when I play against the pc, I turn the speed down between 40% and 50%. It just feels more realistic and is more involving. This is even true when playing co-op, which is my preferred play.

Edited by widdlecat - 09 Jul 2008 at 12:29pm
Charlie View Drop Down

Quote Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 7:24pm
I just beat this game over the weekend and the ending kinda sucks. 
Gigabyte DS3
Intel Q6600 2.4 Ghz
Crucial 2GB 800 Mhz
XFX 8800 GT OC 700/1750/1800
WD 500 GB
Hanns-G 22 inch LCD
Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 12:32pm
I liked Rise of Nations with the idea of Attrition. you have the peace timer in place and if someone wants to try to cheat that they lose the army. I hope that a timer like that goes into SC 2. as for C&C degrading, ill agree with that to an extent.

In all reality tho the idea of long lived units was nice to an extent but if you remember all the way back to WC and SC some units got mowed down while you had your "Elite Commanders" to back you up. tho the 160 Hydralisk rush was always fun against a Siege tank line.  I think the fact that most units in C&C have ranged weapons is what makes it different. if we take the back to H2H you will notice a lot more time invested in keeping an army alive and larger longer battles.

Edited by Kaleliar - 04 Mar 2009 at 12:33pm
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."
 Post Reply Post Reply