Post Date: 2014-04-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Case fans: Positive or Negative Pressure
    Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 10:25am
I'm playing with the idea of placing a few more fans on the Corsair 230T that the Vanquish II comes in. No real reason, besides the fact that I really do like this machine and, being a normal human male, I have to tinker with things I like.   

So on the top of the 230T is lots of mesh and room for a couple 120mm / 140mm fans. If I add exhaust fans I am going to create a negative pressure inside the case, and all that pretty mesh is going to let in dust from all sides, not just through the filters. But the machine, according to the data sheets I've read, should realize a 5~10º reduction in heat.

Conversely, if I reverse the fans and have them force air back into the machine, having only one exhaust fan, I would create a positive pressure machine and it would cut down on the dust, but lose about 5~10º of cooling.

Intake fans - Positive pressure: more heat, less dust
Exhaust fans - Negative pressure: less heat, more dust

Opinions?
DSDoug View Drop Down

Quote DSDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 11:08am
no clue my feeling is if it aint broke dont fix it :P
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 11:19am
Agreed. LOL      

But if you do want to play, positive pressure is usually considered the best but this is a discussion from the beginning of time.   Good points for either.

In general, the top fans blow out..that is where the heat likes to go and side fans blow in onto a video card, mobo, cpu cooler.   Side fans, imho, do more to keep things cool than top fans without a radiator up there.  But your case doesn't have the side fan option I don't believe.

The only time I've seen top fans blowing in to be better, is if a rad on top performs better with the fresh outside air blowing through the rad instead of the more heated internal air blowing through the rad first. 

Have fun. Big%20Smile

Post Reply Post Reply