FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can overclocking Stress Tests Damage Components?

Post Date: 2014-10-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Reclaimer_117 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Reclaimer_117 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Can overclocking Stress Tests Damage Components?
    Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 8:13am
I recently purchased this configuration: 1069573

It was stalled at Stage5: Phase II Stress Testing for over a week. Then I was contacted by a Digital Storm customer service agent who said they couldn't get to level 2 overclocking (4.4GHz - 4.8GHz) with stability, and asked if level 1 would be OK (4.0GHz - 4.4GHz). I said yes so they shipped the system.

I still have a concern though -

If you stress test a system and it's unstable, doesn't that damage the components? I though DS typically does this kind of testing beforehand so they know what works and what doesn't. Pushing my purchase to the extreme only to find out it doesn't quite work is a little disconcerting. I'm worried that it may have reduced the life-span of the components and compromised the warranty. I don't want this thing to break down in a couple of weeks.

I know DS has a great reputation and all the reviews of their products have been great, so I’m not too worried, but I am curious and would appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this matter.

How is stress testing done? What does is mean when they say it was unstable? Could it have actually damaged the Motherboard/Processor/RAM/HDD?

Thanks.

Edited by Reclaimer_117 - 23 Oct 2014 at 8:15am
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 8:18am
I honestly wouldn't worry. If you don't know what you are doing and you try overclocking it yourself then yes it could, but DS is a professional at this and has been stress testing systems for a long time so they know what will work and won't work.

I am sure your system will be fine.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12

Quote Reclaimer_117 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 8:21am
Like I said, I'm not too worried. More curious than anything else at this point. Thanks for the response.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 8:28am
This is the step where they do the stress testing, after its all built.    It's a great feeling knowing that they do the testing to give us the most they can, both performance and reliability. 

Their stress testing, I believe, is Aida64, or was, and the testing will not damage the components.   Components like the cpu are designed to throttle back or shutdown if needed without damage. 

Unstable means, the clock speed wouldn't hold with the voltage applied.   A BSOD or similar is encountered.  There is more to it, but that's it simply.     Some will push the voltage, etc to get the oc they want and that's when you can shorten the life.  DS doesn't do that. 

EDIT... doing the testing beforehand wouldn't work with overclocking.   Each cpu, even supposedly identical ones, are all different, with some being able to handle it better than others.  Same with ram, gpu, etc.  

Edited by bprat22 - 23 Oct 2014 at 8:40am

Quote Reclaimer_117 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 8:42am
Great, thanks for sharing. I'm not as technically adept and overclocking is relatively new to me so just wanted to learn some info.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 6:40am
If you were overclocking yourself and it was your first time, I'd say yes to your original question. It can be damaging.

But the best part of DS is, if they overclock your cpu and fry it. They simply go back to their shelf and pull off a new one, and start over. So you don't have to worry about them damaging your parts.

And if you're thinking "Well, what if they just damage it but don't want to waste money by giving me another one and just hope I won't notice." While that is completely possible, it would cost them more money in time later when you have issues and call into CS or send it back in, etc. So it's better $$ wise to get it right the first time.

Worst case though. They got you covered no matter what. You're paying for the ease of mind here, or you'd be building and overclocking yourself. ;)
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2

Quote Reclaimer_117 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 1:40pm
Thanks for the response Meller. I should receive my system any day now. Can't wait!
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 1:55am
We're excited to see some unboxing pictures/videos of it. You're not officially a part of the family until you do it... Unless you're like me. I'm the red headed adopted step child of the DS family... minus the red hair.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz

Quote Reclaimer_117 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 7:58am
I took a bunch of pics...just don't have them on my right now. Will post soon. I love this machine! I'm able to run Shadow of Mordor on Ultra setting with the 4K texture pack (running at 1080P) at 90 FPS. This thing runs likes a dream
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 7:54pm
DSR isn't too bad. Give it a try too.

It can improve image quality, even if minimally, but still.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
 Post Reply Post Reply