FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buy or build?

Post Date: 2014-10-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TheSnakeRocks View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheSnakeRocks Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Buy or build?
    Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 7:04pm
Im getting a new desktop soon, my laptop took a dump.

I know plenty well how to build a desktop.

So, why should i buy a DS computer? What do you guys have to offer over me building my own custom desktop with my own two hands?
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:37pm
To put it short you get awesome customer service, lifetime tech support, a company that has been around for years that puts out a lot time and effort in their products.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 3:30am
Building it yourself is a lot of fun, saves money and a great experience.    But, if you turn it on and get BSOD, roll overs, no power, etc. do you know enough about troubleshooting to figure out which part to RMA? Is it the motherboard, or a bad ram stick or a bad video card.

DS charges extra to build it, test it, troubleshoot it and watch your back.   For life, they'll be there for phone support.

Hope this helps.
Marderforhire View Drop Down

Quote Marderforhire Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 6:20pm
I dunno if building saves much money.

I did a price compare from what I got from a vanquish 2 lvl 4 to the similar parts I can get from new egg. The DIY parts that I'm getting in my current vanquish on new egg would cost me $1400 . My DS vanquish lvl 4 cost me little over $1200.

Mind you this is the exact same hardware and OS software.

I'd rather have it pre built with tech support, a warranty and no troubleshooting issues . Also not having to install a os and all the damn drivers.
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 8:26pm
On some of the vanquish systems the amount you might save does drop.

At some point you just need to decide if spending your time is worth the cost savings even if you do save money.

I would rather call someone else have them build my system and know I can have them help me out if I have a problem at this stage of my life.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 12:27am
Everyone above me lists all the points to buying vs. building.

I like to boil it down to this:

Build it if it's your hobby
Buy it your hobby is gaming

As my teenage son pointed out the other day... Time spent doing something you enjoy isn't wasted.

Quote TheSnakeRocks Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 4:41am
Well....tinkering around and fixing computers is something i love doing, but i havent built one yet. Computers are my passion, and gaming is my hobby
sls0991 View Drop Down

Quote sls0991 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 1:24am
I would love to learn how to build computers again. I worked in an office in the summer of 09 and all we did was take computers apart and rebuild them. It was an amazing experience, but unfortunately I've forgotten most of what I've learned. For someone who doesn't have much knowledge anymore, I'm glad that I went with the people that know what they're doing. They took good care of me. For someone with your experience though, I guess it comes down to, do you want a computer sooner that you know will exceed your expectations, or do you want it later, something that you can take your time on and be proud of? But either way, I'm proud of my DS computer as if I built it myself LOL.

Edited by sls0991 - 17 Oct 2014 at 1:24am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 3:04am
Originally posted by TheSnakeRocks

Well....tinkering around and fixing computers is something i love doing, but i havent built one yet. Computers are my passion, and gaming is my hobby

Seems to me that you've answered your own question.  If you want to spend your time building, then build.

If you want to spend your time gaming, then buy.

But if you do buy, and you want the machine to work perfectly right from the box, from a company that shares your passion for computers, you'll always buy from Digital Storm.
Marderforhire View Drop Down

Quote Marderforhire Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 3:18am
Sls with the tech today it's not to difficult. It's like putting a puzzle together. You just need to know we're to put the pieces.

YouTube and other media sites have tons of video tutorials.
But I'm in the same boat. It's probably been 15 years since I've actually tinkered with putting a pc together. I'd rather just have a pro do it for me now lol
Tor View Drop Down

Quote Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 4:34am
I agree with all the above. If you have enough knowledge, patience,  and experience with it: build it yourself. If you want a great CS experience go with DS. Either way it's a flip of a coin, and it's up to you the way it lands. Big%20Smile

Quote TheSnakeRocks Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 6:20am
Well... i guess i have my answer... im gonna build mine :)
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 5:11pm
Well, there are a few things to consider here.

Building yourself:
Pricing is lower
More control over picking every part
No software/bloatware that you don't want
Quicker delivery times (usually)
Better customization and comfort in your own work.

Why buying could be better:

When buying from a custom pc builder, you do get some options on pc parts.  Usually if they don't offer a specific part you want it may cost you a slightly more.  But the benefit over buying all the parts your self and building when buying from a company is you no longer have some parts with a 10 year, some parts with a 3 year, some with 1 year..  Everything is covered under a nice one warranty (on top of the manufacture's warranty).  Trust me when I say that one comfort a lone is usually worth the extra cost to buy from a company.

Plus if you compare the prices of DS to doing it yourself, you're really not paying a ton more.  The last time I did a price check, I was seeing something like 10%-15% ish more to buy then build it myself.  But the warranties, amongst other coverages make that 15% worth it.

Yes, it's cheaper to do it yourself.  But if DS builds it and burns out the cpu or GPU or breaks a stick of ram on accident, it doesn't cost you anything. They just go over to their shelf and get another one. If you do it, you have to send it in, wait for a new one, etc.. etc.. Down time. 1+ week vs 2 minutes of down time.  There's so much to compare on building yourself vs buying from a company.  You just need to decide if the 10-15% extra cost is worth it. A one stop shop.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 12:35am

I agree with Meller on 99% of the above. 

The only difference:  Buying from DS does not include bloatware.

But if you're going to build, let us wish you the best of luck!  Big%20Smile
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 1:06am
How dare you only agree 99%... How dare you, indeed sir.

*noted*
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 2:19am
To those reading this that are undecided. I have bought 4 DS systems. My oldest is a 2011 Black Ops Syndicate which has worked fabulous and you can see in my pic. The newest was a Vanquish as a present to a friend.
Why do I keep coming back?
CUSTOMER SERVICE. Period. Oh the builds are great but that could be with any boutique builder. DS for me goes the extra mile and has always been nothing but nice and professional. I work in health care and EXPECT professional. I also don't like being talked down to. That is a real turn off! DS has never treated me like a dip****.
I work hard and I wanted someone else to build me an awesome gaming system. It is my money and I don't want the headache. I just want to game on and have a company that can support me if I have issues.
(Computer issues not mental)

Now back to your regular programming.
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

Post Reply Post Reply