Post Date: 2014-03-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Build Browser and Older MS Office
    Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 9:52am
Hey gang, two questions for the experts around here...

1) Could DS install the Chrome Browser while testing my new VanqII?

2) Is there a MS Office expert in the house? My Outlook (2003!!) just bit the dust and there is some really valuable information I have stored on the Calendar. Everything else in Office is working fine, but the "Business Manager did not load" error pops up when I tried to run Outlook Calendar.

Believe it or not, these two things are related. I swear this computer knows it's about to be replaced. It's getting it's revenge on me.   
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 10:14am
Hi Snaike...   DS might install Chrome, but they charge for it.  No idea how much, though.  I would just do it for free and fast once your up and running, but your choice.

I haven't messed with Outlook/Office in many years, but aren't the Outlook  files stored in Office ? , possibly in File Menu, Open Outlook data or something along those lines.    Look for a .pst file, I think. Big%20Smile

ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 10:16am
It would be best if you install chrome yourself like bprat mentioned, it wouldn't take long for you to download chrome.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 10:25am
Thanks.. yea, I realize that the browser is a fairly simple process and should be done here when I have the machine. But after the events of this morning, most things "Micro$oft", especially their IE, has me really agitated.

Not to mention the fact that I have to learn an entirely new OS in "Windows Mist8ke.1". Keep in mind I'm still using XP at this moment.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 10:29am
I was using Windows Xp before i bought my computer.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 10:31pm
Not a MS guru, but I believe that all the data in Outlook (mail, calendar, contacts) is all in a .pst file. Not sure what that Business Contact Manger exactly is, but I did find a MS link for an update to it. Maybe this will help?

Business Contact Manager Update for Outlook 2003

And here's another link to a support page (not ran by MS) that might help (didn't read the entire thread)...

JustAnswer: Getting message that "Outlook Business Contact Manager cannot be loaded"

Edited by fstcvc - 20 Mar 2014 at 10:34pm
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 4:24am
Thanks fstcvc.  Appreciate the input.

Been down that road, with no help.  I'll keep poking around.  Frustrated
ScottishBattleAx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 7:18am
Do you currently use Windows 8.1?
What don't you like about it?
I wouldn't consider it "learning an entirely new OS" at all. Sure it's improved, faster, etc, but it's still windows at its core. There's plenty of ways to have it look and feel just like Windows 7. No need to use the modern/metro UI if you don't want it. If your opinion on Win 8 is just based on internet hate from it's launch period I'd really recommend forming your own opinion based on personal use. 8.1 is great for many, and has brought big performance improvements all round, especially for many gaming situations.

I don't know your reasoning for using Outlook. I used to use it myself for a long time but the best thing I ever did was completely move to web based email and do away with local software like Outlook.

Edited by ScottishBattleAx - 21 Mar 2014 at 7:22am
HAF X // i7-4770K @ 4.2GHZ // Win 8.1 Pro // ASUS Z87-Expert // EVGA GTX 780 Ti Superclocked ACX // 16GB 1866 RAM // 256GB SSD // 2TB + 4TB HDD // Recon3D 5.1 Sound
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 9:46am
Originally posted by ScottishBattleAx

Do you currently use Windows 8.1?
What don't you like about it?
I wouldn't consider it "learning an entirely new OS" at all. Sure it's improved, faster, etc, but it's still windows at its core. There's plenty of ways to have it look and feel just like Windows 7. No need to use the modern/metro UI if you don't want it. If your opinion on Win 8 is just based on internet hate from it's launch period I'd really recommend forming your own opinion based on personal use. 8.1 is great for many, and has brought big performance improvements all round, especially for many gaming situations.

I don't know your reasoning for using Outlook. I used to use it myself for a long time but the best thing I ever did was completely move to web based email and do away with local software like Outlook.
Thanks for the input. Perhaps you are right on the new OS. I'll know when I get into it. Like I said in the OP I've been in XP for as long as I can remember, both personally and professionally. This will be a change and I'm of the mindset that most changes are bad. (Stubborn mule type.) I will try to go into it with an open mind.

Outlook: Personally, I can't STAND it. I, too, have moved into gmail and the like. But this is not an email situation. Professionally we've been using the calendar function in the Outlook 2003 to track clients, appointments and records for the last 10 years. As of the day this error popped up we are without some very vital records. Not to mention the fact that if this problem is systemic to Office 2003 we will have corrupted a database (yes, it's backed up redundantly) that took 30 years to put together.

Thanks again for the response.

Post Reply Post Reply