Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Bolt PSU Load Results - With Kill a Watt Meter
    Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 6:49pm
We noticed a lot of customers had questions and concerns about how much power the Bolt uses since it comes with a 500W unit. The 500W unit that powers the Bolt is a high-quality Gold rated efficient power supply with a single rail design. It was custom built for the Bolt system as it was normally a 1U server rack mount based unit. The Bolt chassis also has a dedicated side vent to help ensure the power supply stays nice and cool under even the most intensive tasks.

Let's dive into testing. To really challenge the power of the Bolt, the team decided to run the stress-tests using the most extreme configuration possible, which is the Bolt Level 4 with NVIDIA's fastest single GPU card, the GTX TITAN 6GB. This configuration is fully decked out with an overclocked CPU, SSD, mechanical hard drive, 16GB of memory, optical drive, etc...

To measure power draw, we used a "Kill A Watt" unit that was directly connected to the Bolt's power supply cord and AC power outlet.

(1) The first test was running the Bolt system under a gaming stress-test, we ran Unigine's Heaven benchmark at a resolution of 1920x1080 with all visual settings maxed. Results on the Kill A Watt meter were at a highest rating at 301 watts of power draw.

(2) The second test included running a CPU stress-test and a gaming stress-test at the same time. A torture test that practically no level of PC gaming would ever reach. We ran LinX which stressed both the CPU and memory at the same time and ran the Heaven benchmark at the same time with all visual settings maxed. Results on the Kill A Watt meter were at a highest rating at 350 watts of power draw.

(3) In addition, Tweak Town reviewed the Bolt Level 3 configuration and reported a maximum power draw of 286 watts.

In conclusion, these results should show how the Bolt's 500W power supply has plenty of head room, even in the highest level of possible configurations.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 9:47pm
  Awesome

These ran right around what I would have figured. I would have liked to have seen a higher resolution than 1920x1080, but you are definitely correct in that the setup will handle most common situations with ease.

Edited by Tidgxor - 13 Mar 2013 at 9:47pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 3:09am
Good info.    Should put minds at ease. Nice.   
azza21 View Drop Down

Quote azza21 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 2:54pm
I've just brought a GTX Titan for my Bolt system and i encountered a few some weird sounds coming from the system. I spoke to a EVGA rep and he told me it sounded like my PSU only bein 500w. I explained to him that it was a GOLD rated PSU and showed him the spec but he wouldn't have any of it. He told me "Sounds like coil whine. This can appear, when there is not enough power" and said i should try another PSU.

So i brought the bronze rated sparkle 700w 1U PSU, i couldn't get a gold rated one. The model is "SPI700U4BB".

The only problem i will have with the 700w is it is 250mm in length, which is 30mm longer than the current 500w, 220mm, so i will have to cut of some of the metal but it shouldn't be an issue as the psu just ends before the screws at hold the DC blow fan.

====

Whilst speaking to sparkle they told me they are working on an 800w 1U psu which the same dimensions as the current one used in the bolt system, didn't specify when this would be available though, any ideas Alex?

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 3:03pm
azza21,

It could be a few different things. Looks like your using the system in the UK? The 240V might be creating the electrical while noise.

You'll hear the Bolt running if you're in a very quiet room and if you're right next to it (within 2 feet). It won't be loud, it's more of just the noise from the fans spinning and hard drive, etc...

Try using a standard power supply by hooking it up externally to see if the power supply really is the reason or the video card. From our experience it's usually the video card making a coil whine.

Also, we're currently not planning to extend the 500W as it already provides more than enough power for a GTX TITAN and with room to spare.

Edited by Alex - 24 Mar 2013 at 3:06pm
azza21 View Drop Down

Quote azza21 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Alex

azza21,

It could be a few different things. Looks like your using the system in the UK? The 240V might be creating the electrical while noise.

You'll hear the Bolt running if you're in a very quiet room and if you're right next to it (within 2 feet). It won't be loud, it's more of just the noise from the fans spinning and hard drive, etc...

Try using a standard power supply by hooking it up externally to see if the power supply really is the reason or the video card. From our experience it's usually the video card making a coil whine.

Well the 700w psu arrives next week so i will try it and see if it makes any difference. The whine does sound like its coming from the GPU as it happens when i test it in 3dmarks 11.

"Hello, I think, that this may be coil whine. This can appear, when there is not enough power. And when I checked you PSU, I see a 500 Watt PSU. Minimus requirements for the TITAN are 600 Watt. Can you please recheck the system with a stronger PSU"

Edited by azza21 - 24 Mar 2013 at 3:08pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 3:09pm
Sounds like a plan. They say 600W+ because they want to have a buffer for low spec power supplies that do not have a strong single rail design.
 Post Reply Post Reply