Bolt II USB Hub

Post Date: 2014-10-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Bolt II USB Hub
    Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 6:13pm
In the Bolt II, I have a few questions about the connections on the USB Hub. I know the hub connects to the 9-pin header on the board; the two front panel USB 2.0 ports connect to an interface on the hub; and the multimedia card reader plus USB 2.0 on the front panel connect to it.

I assume that the interfaces to it are all 9-pin headers, correct?

I ordered the machine without the Hydrolux controller. Would that normally occupy an interface on the hub? Does the Corsair Link on the H100i interface with the hub?

Are there any additional interfaces on the hub available?

Cheers and thanks for the help!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 3:54am
The Hydrolux control board does plug into the USB hub.   The H100i has the optional cable to plug into a USB header for Cosair link. I'm guessing DS hooks it up, but not 100%.

Pin count... I couldn't say.

danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 7:11am
The Bolt II has 2 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 ports. I don't know if the other devices like the hydro lux controller or the card reader use other motherboard headers or if they are run on the same one as the USB ports. The best way to get an answer would be to ping DS customer service. There will be limited headers on the motherboard, given the MiniITX form factor.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 9:48am
Thanks @bprat22. The alternative to a 9-pin header coming off of the USB hub would be a female USB port.

@danjw1, I've already confirmed with DS that they use a USB hub connected to the single 9-pin header on the motherboard. The USB 2.0 ports and multimedia card reader are plugged into the hub. I'm just trying to figure out what available I/O there is.

Cheers!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 10:23am
I think you were looking at the Z97I-Plus, but I could be wrong Hahaha.  If so and they're using a 4 port hub.....The 2x front usb 2.0 and the card reader use 3 x hub ports with the other for their Hydrolux Control board, which you might not have.

Mid board, one of the 2, usb2.0 are used for the hub.  The other usb2.0 is open.   The other 2x usb 3.0 mid board  are used for the 2x front usb 3.0.      Plus, whatever's  left on the hub.   Then the 4x Sata.    Back i/o has 4 + 4 USB. 

Bottom line, and my head hurts, you have a single usb 2.0 open and an empty hub port.   Then the rear i/o of course. 

Not sure that helps.  Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 30 Oct 2014 at 10:36am
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 10:54am
Yes, Z97I-Plus and no Hydrolux. The two USB ports on the mobo come off on a single 9-pin header (4 pins for each USB channel and 1 pin to key the connector). That header (both channels) are connected to the USB hub.

Specs for Z97I-Plus USB ports:
Intel® Z97 chipset :
6 x USB 3.0/2.0 port(s) (4 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)
Intel® Z97 chipset :
6 x USB 2.0/1.1 port(s) (4 at back panel, , 2 at mid-board)

The USB header is just below and a little to the right of the WiFi card. The header to the left of it is for audio. The headers near the 24-pin ATX connector are for the power & restart button, power & HDD LED, etc. Below the SATA ports is the 19-pin header for the two USB 3.0 ports.

So, the front panel USB 2.0 and multimedia card reader go to the hub. If the Hydrolux is included, I imagine it also goes to the hub...but I am not getting it, so I would think the H100i (9-pin female connector) goes directly to the hub. I would guess, but am not certain, that they are probably using a hub with 4 9-pin ports (8 physical USB 2.0 connections) coming off of it plus a connection going back to the mobo.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 2:28pm
Oh, that's right, the H100i USB connection. I knew I was missing something.

Ask DS the hub specs.
 Post Reply Post Reply