FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt II pricing?

Post Date: 2014-07-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
owensd View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote owensd Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Bolt II pricing?
    Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 1:55am
I'm comparing the pricing between PCPartPicker and here for the Bolt II system and I'm fairly confused by the price discrepancy and was hoping to be shown the errors of my ways.

Configuration Code: 1008526
Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,366.00

PCPartPicker part code: /p/yNNPQ7
Total: $1593.63 (single merchant, Amazon)

I expect there to be a different, but $770 seemed more than I was expecting. Thoughts on if I did something wrong? I guess that is just over 30%...

Maybe I'll just need to stick to the Vanguard.

Thanks!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 3:19am
I haven't gone to that site to match all the prices but this is asked on occasion, and basically the answer is, Yes you can build a custom rig yourself for less money. The Bolt case is a DS in house custom design so it is unique at DS.   Outside of that, DS is a business in it to make money, employees that want to make a decent wage and an excellent support and R&D department.   

I guess the fairest way is to compare DS to other boutique builders and you'll see DS does better than most, when sites with their reputation are considered.

I have built in the past and now have DS do it for me.   It's tested by them, warranted by them and I/we have someone to call if any issues.

Hope this helps and stay in touch.   
owensd View Drop Down

Quote owensd Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 8:46am
I started looking at the Apollo and came up with this config: 1008615 (specs pasted below). I think it is nearly identical to the Bolt II component wise.

Apollo: $2,091
Slate: $2,366

The Apollo was closer to the delta that I was thinking when I wrote the post.

So let me re-rephrase. Anyone have the Bolt II and think the price point for the size and case are worth it?

I do not plan on going SLI, so that isn't a concern for me. Also, I'll be playing at 1080p.

Really, I'm just building a PC to be able to play Dragon Age: Inquisition at maxed out settings, as well as Planetary Annihilation, Diablo III, and Star Citizen (when it ever comes out!).

I've playing games on my MacBook Pro (2012, 15" retina). It works, reasonably well, but I hate going into Bootcamp (I'm a Mac guy). Planning on getting the PC instead of the Xbox One.

Thanks again!

Specs:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-C (Intel Z97 Chipset) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair CX750M
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (120GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 840 EVO)

Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 9:28am
That's a nice, powerful build for 1080p gaming.  What case you pick is, for most, a personal decision so up to you.    

In general, the Slade is picked for its clean looks or its reputation for being one of the quietest if configured the way DS specifies in the Notice.

The Bolt 2 is perfect for those with space limitations or just don't want the larger cases any more.      I don't have the Bolt, so hopefully others will answer your question that do.   

Apollo gives you plenty of room to work in if needed, and looks great with light packages.  

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 9:33am
The Bolt II is much more expensive due to the engineering costs to design the chassis. Also, the custom power supply that we had made for it wasn't cheap. You're really paying the extra costs for a truly custom, unique solution if you're going with the Bolt II.
owensd View Drop Down

Quote owensd Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Alex

The Bolt II is much more expensive due to the engineering costs to design the chassis. Also, the custom power supply that we had made for it wasn't cheap. You're really paying the extra costs for a truly custom, unique solution if you're going with the Bolt II.

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely leaning towards the Bolt II because it looks awesome. =)
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Alex

Alex beat me to it. I was going to point out that the Bolt II is proprietary case. You can't get it elsewhere. That line is for folks who want a truly unique package.... and are willing to pay for DS's design and fabrications.

(I didn't know about the PSU... good info, Alex.)
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 10:24am
 Post Reply Post Reply