Online Status: Offline
  Quote ASSASSIN HQ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Bolt II Comfiguration
    Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 7:07am
Sir, my ticket number is 930868.
My configuration is as follows-
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Pre-built Digital Storm Bolt II
Exterior Finish: Onyx Black Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - No Thanks
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VI IMPACT (Intel Z87 Chipset) (Mini-ITX) (SupremeFX Impact, Sonic Radar)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2400MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 700W Digital Storm Bolt II Edition (Backordered ETA Early March)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Storage Set 1: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB (EVGA Superclocked ACX Cooler Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: High Static Pressure - Corsair Air Series SP120 Fans (2x 120mm)
Internal Lighting: Front Panel + Internal Chassis (RGB LED Lighting System)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

To start with, I want to build for hard core gaming. And I want it to be future proof for at least 3 years.
Restriction: I cannot spend over $3000.
So, please tell me if this build is good. I am not much of a tech god unfortunately. Some points over which I seek clarification-
1) The mobo and processor- Is it a good idea to get a Z87 instead of the costly x79? Forums in Tom's Hardware say that Z87 will perform as good as x79 when it comes to pure gaming. What is your opinion?
2) Storage- Okay, I just dont understand why does everyone want an SSD? Just to speed up boot times? Well, I dont mind to sit for a few more seconds for my PC to boot up. BUT the question is will SSDs improve gaming performance? Like imcreasing FPS?
3) OC and Cooling- Well I dont want the processor overclocked. Who knows what might happen? But my friend tells me that professional overclocking is really very good. (He uses a Maingear Shift). ALSO he told me that spending on expensive cooling system would be waste of money if I dont OC. Do you agree? What is your suggestion? Should I go for OC or drop the cooling system?
4) Delivery- Well, I am from India. DS, I dont know if they deliver internationally?
5) Okay this will sound ULTRA rude but will I get any convincing proof that the Bolt II which I will buy has really been stress tested? You see, I am from India, if the system breaks down (as it happens for -------- and few times for -------- rigs), I will be knee deep in trouble. Stress test is crucial for me. (Please dont get my words twisted. I need to cross check. I live miles away from USA).

I am eager to know what you think about my configuration. Especially, regarding the OC, Cooling (mind you, India is a hot place) and Storage. Looking forward for a reply.
Thanks for your time. :)

EDIT: Competitor names removed - Alex

Edited by Alex - 28 Feb 2014 at 10:17am
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 7:21am
I can answer the 4th question, DS does ship internationally, you would have to call and get a quote though.

As far as the proof of the stress testing, you may need to ask Alex about it and see what he says. To contact him email him at [email protected]

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 28 Feb 2014 at 7:32am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 7:47am
1 - If your main usage is for gaming, then the Z87 will be fine. The extra memory bands and CPU cores on the X79 are more for video/3d/photo editing but 99% of games won't utilize this potential.
2 - SSD vs standard HDD is more about overall OS performance and if you have games installed it their load times. SSD OS boot times are normally around 20sec vs 60-90sec and doing regular tasks that use the SSD will see equal performance boost. Once you use a SSD you'll never go back to use a standard HDD for a system again. The speed difference is that big.
3 - The mild OC done in Stage 1 will give huge performance boost and the cooling system that's installed on this system is more than capable of handling it. Many run systems that are OC'd for years without any issues. If it's performance you're after, then the Stage 1 OC is a must. RAM on the other hand, you could just go with the standard 1600MHz. The CPU OC will give much more performance than the RAM speed increase.
4 - DS does ship internationally - you have to send them your system config and address for a quote.
5 - Not sure what kind of verification you're looking for on this. DS does test every system but things can always go wrong with such a complex system of parts.
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 8:18am
Originally posted by ASSASSIN HQ

So, please tell me if this build is good. I am not much of a tech god unfortunately. Some points over which I seek clarification-

The build looks solid.

1) The mobo and processor- Is it a good idea to get a Z87 instead of the costly x79? Forums in Tom's Hardware say that Z87 will perform as good as x79 when it comes to pure gaming. What is your opinion?

Z87 should be good for gaming, the X79 is best for things work station builds. So, for photographers, graphics designers, video editors, ...

Most games do not take advantage of the i7, so you could save some money going for the i5-4670k.

2) Storage- Okay, I just dont understand why does everyone want an SSD? Just to speed up boot times? Well, I dont mind to sit for a few more seconds for my PC to boot up. BUT the question is will SSDs improve gaming performance? Like imcreasing FPS?

SSDs will speed up boot time, game level load time and virtual memory access. The last refers to the system moving system memory onto the drive for apps that aren't currently being used (minimized). So it can also speed time between swapping between apps. It is the general consensus that SSDs do add a significant boost to overall system performance.

3) OC and Cooling- Well I dont want the processor overclocked. Who knows what might happen? But my friend tells me that professional overclocking is really very good. (He uses a Maingear Shift). ALSO he told me that spending on expensive cooling system would be waste of money if I dont OC. Do you agree? What is your suggestion? Should I go for OC or drop the cooling system?

Overclocking will speedup general system performance. High end cooling is not required for a non-overclocked system.

But, liquid cooling could keep the noise of the system down as well. Since the options for the bolt is either a liquid cooler with two fans vs a low profile heatsink with one fan. The low profile heatsink will probably need to work harder to keep the CPU cool under stress. Also the heatsink would be dumping the heat into the case, while the liquid cooler should be blowing the heat out of the case. Depending on the ambient temperature in your environment, an better cooling system maybe required to keep the system stable. If it is regularly hot in the space the computer it could cause system stability issues.

Also, you may want to go to a non-"K" processor, if you choose not to have overclocking. The "K" processors allow overclocking, while the non-"K" processors do not and are bit less expensive.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 8:27am
... and don't forget the t-shirt!   
ASSASSIN HQ View Drop Down

Quote ASSASSIN HQ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 8:29am
Thanks for the detailed information.
I guess I will upgrade to SSD. (It is really costly though). And well I will not change the RAM. You see, the minimum requirements of CoD: Ghosts is 6GB RAM. Never before the minimum reached so high. PERSONALLY, I would have loved to get hands on a G.SKILL TridentX. But there is no option for that in DS.
Btw, in another thread regarding international shipping, a guy Alex (what I have read from his posts, I am sure that this guy knows a lot of stuff) said that liquid cooled systems are quite fragile to ship with respect to air cooled ones.
So should I downgrade to an air-cooled system with a non-OCed processor?
The cooling and OC still remains a query to me.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 8:33am

I guess I will upgrade to SSD. (It is really costly though). And well I will not change the RAM. You see, the minimum requirements of CoD: Ghosts is 6GB RAM. Never before the minimum reached so high. PERSONALLY, I would have loved to get hands on a G.SKILL TridentX. But there is no option for that in DS.
Btw, in another thread regarding international shipping, a guy Alex (what I have read from his posts, I am sure that this guy knows a lot of stuff) said that liquid cooled systems are quite fragile to ship with respect to air cooled ones.

I believe he was referring to the true water cooled systems like in the Hailstorm

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 28 Feb 2014 at 8:34am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Quote ASSASSIN HQ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 8:35am
Yes, I missed the free t-shirt. I will get thaf. lol. ;);)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 8:39am
Arkansas is right on.  The fragility in shipping is for a full water cooled setup, with the larger reservoir, etc being more susceptible to damage.   The sealed liquid coolers like the h100i ( 240mm liquid)  are pretty durable during shipping, but damage is always a possibility. 

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Feb 2014 at 8:40am

Quote ASSASSIN HQ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 8:39am
Originally posted by ArkansasWoman777

I believe he was referring to the true water cooled systems like in the Hailstorm

Ummm, so what are you saying? Bolt II without liquid cooling will work fine? (That will be nice on my pocket too. I may push to a bigger SSD with it.)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 8:43am
The high performance air cooled unit for the cpu will work great.  The 240mm rad does offer a bit more cooling performance but either will get the job done.  

Quote ASSASSIN HQ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 8:45am
Originally posted by bprat22

Arkansas is right on.  The fragility in shipping is for a full water cooled setup, with the larger reservoir, etc being more susceptible to damage.   The sealed liquid coolers like the h100i ( 240mm liquid)  are pretty durable during shipping, but damage is always a possibility. 

Well, so what would you do if you were in my shoes?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 8:45am

Ummm, so what are you saying? Bolt II without liquid cooling will work fine? (That will be nice on my pocket too. I may push to a bigger SSD with it.)

The Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler is not true water like in the hailstorm which uses Exotic Custom Cooling System. The radiators are prefilled with liquid condensed distilled water (i think) that does not need refilling ever.

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 28 Feb 2014 at 8:47am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 8:50am

Well, so what would you do if you were in my shoes?

I would probably go with the air cooler.  It works just fine, less chance of shipping problems to your location , although the sealed units are pretty rugged, and with the air cooler, no pump, firmware, etc to go bad. 
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 10:19am
@ASSASSIN HQ,

We would love to have you as a customer!

Everyone here has done a great job in helping you with your questions. In regards to testing, yes, we can send you some testing screenshots BUT, just because a system passed testing here does not guarantee it will arrive with zero issues, especially if it is traveling to the other side of the world.

Usually, issues upon arrive are due to loose hardware that needs to be re-seated or physically damaged hardware from shipping shocks and vibrations.

It's hard to prevent this, but with a smaller system like the Bolt II, our team could double pack it (two boxes) with padding inside each one to prevent any shipping shocks going to your computer.

Hope this helps! Feel free to contact our Sales Manager, John, for a quote via email: [email protected]
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 10:21am

As everyone else has said, if you are going with a all-in-one based liquid cooler such as the Corsair H100i or Digital Storm Vortex, you have no concerns with shipping, it's actually safer to use those coolers than the large and heavy air coolers for shipping.

I was referring to the truly high-end exotic liquid cooling systems, as they carry a lot of water in the reservoirs which get quite heavy when full.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 10:23am

The Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler is not true water like in the hailstorm which uses Exotic Custom Cooling System. The radiators are prefilled with liquid condensed distilled water (i think) that does not need refilling ever.

It is a true liquid cooler. It just isn't a custom liquid cooling solution. The closed loop liquid coolers, as is offered in the Bolt II, are much more durable then a custom solution.

Edited by danjw1 - 28 Feb 2014 at 10:25am
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 12:49pm
One thing I would change would move down to the 16GB of Corsair memory 1600 Mhz. which saves you some money. You will see little to no performance improvement having 2400 Mhz Ram in your system.

Moving that money to an SSD would be a much better solution for your system.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by danjw1

It is a true liquid cooler. It just isn't a custom liquid cooling solution. The closed loop liquid coolers, as is offered in the Bolt II, are much more durable then a custom solution.

That is pretty much what i meant i just couldn't word it correctly.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Quote ASSASSIN HQ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Ariktu

One thing I would change would move down to the 16GB of Corsair memory 1600 Mhz. which saves you some money. You will see little to no performance improvement having 2400 Mhz Ram in your system.Moving that money to an SSD would be a much better solution for your system.

Thanks. This sounds really good. I will move down to 1600MHz. Since DS doesnt sell the G.SKILL sticks, there is truly no point in spending so much for a Corsair sticks.

Quote ASSASSIN HQ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 8:34pm

Hey, I really dont know much about liquid cooling. From your post, I see that there are 2 categories- closed loop and custom.
Is Corsair H100i a closed loop cooler? I have read that it is one of the best.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 8:39pm

Hey, I really dont know much about liquid cooling. From your post, I see that there are 2 categories- closed loop and custom.
Is Corsair H100i a closed loop cooler? I have read that it is one of the best.

yes it is a closed loop cooler
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k