FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt II Add-Your-Own Components / Steam Controller

Post Date: 2014-03-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
phillyboy82 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote phillyboy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Bolt II Add-Your-Own Components / Steam Controller
    Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 9:57am
Hello. So yesterday I saw the Bolt II case while doing some web browsing at home and became rather enamored with it (nice work on the design!). I've been looking for a smaller form factor case for awhile now that is quiet in operation and the Bolt II looks like it might be a pretty close contender. I had a few questions though while I am figuring out what I want to do.

The main issue I have right now is that I already have a machine that I built for myself about three months ago. I would rather reuse the (mostly) new and working components from that rig to save on expenses, since it looks like DS will not sell the case and PSU standalone.

I emailed sales yesterday about ordering a machine without a hard drive or video card installed and they said that it was not feasible due to the required 72-hour stability test, which I completely understand. However, I was wondering instead if I could send DS my Gigabyte 780 Ti, 120 GB SSD, and two 4GB sticks of Corsair DDR3-1600 RAM during system assembly, and then they can install the components and do the stability test as required? The SSD can be wiped and Windows 8 installed on it.

I can live without a functioning PC for a week or two if it saves on cost, even if Titanfall just came out :). I'll just hoof it with the iPad for that time.

Also, how quiet is the machine? Do you have dB measurements listed anywhere? The machine is rather new so I don't see any reviews on Anandtech or the like where that usually gets brought up. I am using an Antec P183 v3 right now and quietness is a key part of what I am looking for.

How does the LED lighting system work if you do not buy the Hydrolux controller board? It looks like the board will only control two fans for the AIO radiator, and I was planning on getting the Maximus VI motherboard which has enough fan headers on it.

Last question - will we get a steam controller for free down the road if we purchase a machine now or was that going to be an add-on cost anyways?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Edited by phillyboy82 - 12 Mar 2014 at 10:03am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 10:04am
Most of these questions are probably best answered by DS.  They do install sent-in parts, but pricing, limitations would be their call.  Same with the noise level.

Steam controller I'm pretty sure is an added cost. 
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 10:16am
Originally posted by phillyboy82

I was wondering instead if I could send DS my Gigabyte 780 Ti, 120 GB SSD, and two 4GB sticks of Corsair DDR3-1600 RAM during system assembly, and then they can install the components and do the stability test as required?

That's a tough one as the team will have to give you a quote on that. We'll charge you special request fees on each item for installation/testing/etc and we won't warranty them if anything goes wrong.

how quiet is the machine? Do you have dB measurements listed anywhere?

Not at this time, but the machine is fairly quiet, it's not silent, but definitely quiet.

I don't see any reviews on Anandtech or the like where that usually gets brought up.

Reviews will probably come out within 1-2 months from now.

How does the LED lighting system work if you do not buy the Hydrolux controller board?

It would have an included wireless remote to change colors.

It looks like the board will only control two fans for the AIO radiator

Correct.

will we get a steam controller for free down the road if we purchase a machine now or was that going to be an add-on cost anyways?

You would have to purchase the controller as an add-on cost.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 10:19am

Quote phillyboy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 10:42am
Thanks everyone for the quick turnaround.

If it came down to things the 780 Ti is the one I am most concerned about; I can find another use for the SSD and the memory will just get sold without too much of a loss. I just wanted to see if it was feasible or not, so I will email sales to get an idea of cost.

danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 11:38am

Thanks everyone for the quick turnaround. If it came down to things the 780 Ti is the one I am most concerned about; I can find another use for the SSD and the memory will just get sold without too much of a loss. I just wanted to see if it was feasible or not, so I will email sales to get an idea of cost.

You know if you just sent them the Graphics card, you could still use your current system with the CPU's iGPU.

Quote phillyboy82 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 12:34pm
I have an x79 system currently. 
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 3:15pm

I have an x79 system currently. 

Ah, I didn't realize that, oh well. ;-)
wazedubstep View Drop Down

Quote wazedubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 9:37pm
ok well ive been thinking abput doing this myself i honestly do wish i could buy the case on its own with power supply. but i of course that takes away from the concept of what the company is trying to do id be all for sending a bunch of practically cheap as dirt parts to do the 72 hour part but the least they could do is accept that ifs it broken they should warranty their work.i mean after all if im going to ship in my gtx 480 that is an artifact and a masterpeice to me just to have it come back broken id be diappointed and saddened by this.i wouldn't mind if they insured that your parts would come back unharmed.
A wonderful serenity has taken possession of my entire soul, like these sweet mornings of spring which I enjoy with my whole heart. I am alone, and feel the charm of existence in this spot, which was.
 Post Reply Post Reply