Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Best Setup of Velox Fans
    Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 7:05am
Hi Everyone,

I am a AIR cooling fan but the trend is to liquid cooling the CPU with either Level 1 or Stage 2 cooling. Level 1 is a full liquid system and Stage 2 uses the Corsair all-in-one sealed units. The Velox case is a great design with a lot of 140mm fans for cooling. What I would like more information about is how to set up the system primarily for Stage 2 cooling. There are not a lot of pictures but I think DS is putting the Stage 2 RAD at the top of the case replacing the two 140mm fans.

You can see the top of the case in the above picture. With a RAD place there and blowing into the case you can see that the expelled air from the RAD will be blown onto the top GPU with two GPUs.   In this configuration the GPUs are air cooled and the warm air does not aid in cooling the top GPU. With the Velox case we have some relief from this situation with cooling air blowing from the front and from the two side fans. I am not sure in this configuration if the side fans should be blowing into the case mixing or dispersing the warm air from the RAD. Or, maybe a better choice would be that the side fans would be blowing out which would pull out the warm air from the RAD. With both side fans blowing out it may interfere with the air coming from the front fan. Maybe the best situation would be to have the front side fan blowing into the case cooling the GPU along with the front fan and the back side fan blowing out pulling out the warm air from the RAD.

Another opting would be to have the RAD fans pulling air from the case and blowing out instead of in. The two side fans would be blowing in and would give the out blowing RAD cool air. The warm air rising from the top GPU would be cooled with the incoming air from the side fans.

With most cases you don’t have all of these options and I would like to know the best configuration when the CPU is liquid cooled. I am looking forward to your comments. I hope DS can tell us if they have tested the air flow combinations on the Velox case and their findings.

I also wonder if it is necessary to replace the case fans? What does the optional fans offer that the standard fans lack. The standard fans look cool.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 24 Nov 2014 at 7:11am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 7:59am
Hi Frank....I can't say for sure, but my guess is the 240mm rad would mount under the top like you said, and blow out. The side fans, from another post that Alex responded to, usually have both fans blowing in, but in some cases one blows in and the other out. Depends what the setup and testing show. If a case has an iffy airflow, maybe the top blowing in to keep the cpu at its best, but with Velox, plenty of air.

My guess is the top rad fans blow out, the rear blows out and the front and side blow in. That would give the best airflow. The side fans feed fresh air to the cards and the front and side give the rad plenty of fresh inside air.

Edited by bprat22 - 24 Nov 2014 at 8:08am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 8:59am
Hi bprat22,

Here is a picture with the rad at the top in a Level 1 cooling system. Would work the same for a Stage 2 system. I wonder why DS didn't name the cooling Stage 1, Stage 2 or Level 1, Level 2? Not that the name has anything to do with the discussion.

You are probably right that the RAD fans are blowing out and the side fans blowing in. That should work pretty good and give good cooling to the GPUs. This looks like the best setup.

I still wonder how it would work with the RAD fans blowing in (with outside case air cooling the RAD) and the two side fans blowing out. This should pull the warm air from the RAD out of the case. May not give as good of cooling for the GPUs. Does all the 980 GPU fan air exit out the back or is some dumped into the case?

I hope DS will tell us if they ran some test.

Frank
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 9:06am
If you get cards with the dual fan ACX coolers, those fans do exit a lot of the heat into the case. A single fan, reference type setup is all out the back.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 9:46am
Thanks bprat22,

Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply