FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best birthday ever! (Laptop came in today)

Post Date: 2014-09-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Best birthday ever! (Laptop came in today)
    Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 9:00am
Hey everyone! I was posting about this in the thread in the configuration forum (http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/configuring-a-new-laptop-v-2-definitely-lance-tidf23332-pidf260376/#260376)

specifically, my Lance laptop. Well, I finally got it today (it arrived a few days ago, but the post office didn't notify me--or DS, for that matter--for some reason Upset ). Funnily enough, when I went to pick it up, they almost gave me the wrong p[ackage meant for someone else! I immediately grew suspicious when I didn't see a Digital Storm logo, but fortunately, they realized the mistake and gave me the right one, haha. Today also happens to be my 27th birthday, and I got a bunch of other good stuff in the mail too. A care package from my parents (along with a check for 127 bucks), and a cool check for 200 dollars someone owed me :D So yeah, today's definitely a good day.

So anyways, have a couple pics to start off with:
My DS Laptop at the Post office

And here's my DS laptop in my room.

Unboxing will have to wait a little while, though...I gotta go to the bank immediately to deposit these checks, and then I have to hold office hours for my students from 1 to 3 PM (It's 12 PM where I am right now). But when that's done I'll be back to post unboxing pics and stuff. DroolingDroolingStrong

ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 9:26am
Happy Birthday and can't wait to see pictures
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 9:52am
DS just wanted you to have it on your birthday Big%20Smile
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 9:59am
It's so awesome that you got it on your birthday!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 11:06am
What great timing.  StrongAwesome

Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 1:19pm
OK, (finally) the unboxing continues. It's going well so far, though I think there may be a teensy problem (see below). Here's a pic of all my stuff:

However, take a closer look at the second box:

As you can see, it says Javelin/Veloce adapter. I ordered a second adapter for the Lance (it said so on my order) but it seems they sent me the wrong adapter? Confused It's no big deal, as one adapter should be fine for me for now, but I will be contacting DS about resolving this issue.

Well, at least I have one adapter ready. Before I turn on my laptop, though, is there anything I need to know? I notice in the extra goodies box there's a booklet for the installation of my Samsung SSD...will I need to install the drivers or anything before I turn on the Lance, or is it already installed? To recap, here's my order:

Order Contents:
- Digital Storm Laptop 650757 Quantity: 1 $2,271.00
- -- PROMOTIONAL LIMITED TIME BONUS DISCOUNT: $50 Quantity: 1 ($50.00)
- -- FREE NVIDIA Bundle - Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (Digital Download Code) Quantity: 1 $0.00

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lance 15.6 Inch Laptop (Model: S:8258)
Display: 15.6 Inch (16:9) (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) (Anti-glare) LED-Backlit Display
Processor: !SPECIAL PRICE: Intel Core i7 4810MQ (Up to 3.80Ghz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache) (LIMITED TIME ONLY)
Thermal Compound: Premium CPU and GPU Thermal Compound (Reduces Thermal & Laptop Noise)
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
Storage Drive 1: 500GB Solid State - Samsung 840 EVO
Storage Drive 2: 750GB 7200RPM (SATA 3Gb/s)
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player & Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (Blu-Ray 6x)
Wireless Card: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 + Bluetooth 4.0
Graphics Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 4GB with NVIDIA Battery Boost + NVIDIA Optimus
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office Suite: - No Thanks
Cooling Pad: - No Thanks
Extra Charger: Extra Charger for Lance (Model: S:8250)

Thanks and sorry for the trouble/n00by question, I just don't want to blow up my laptop before even turning it on XD

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 1:52pm
Th SSD should be loaded with the OS and ready to go.   DS sends along whatever material and parts they receive and don't use. The booklet probably is just the steps for install, migration software info, etc as if you'd bought it separately.

The ac adapter could be the same for different laptop models, especially if the batteries are both 8 cell for example. DS will know for sure.   A quick comparison of both, the plug and it's ratings on the bricks sticker, should help.

Good luck.
Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 3:08pm
They both look quite different, and I called a very nice DS technician (Dryden) who said they'd ship me a replacement free of charge so long as I shipped them the Javelin adapter back (which should also be free of charge). They say they'll send me a shipping label for that soon...we'll see how that goes. But so far, I'm pleased with Dryden's helpfulness and DS' general professionalism in solving this issue, so I remain happy for now.

Now, I've turned it on (it boots up VERY fast--nice!) and there are two things I'm wondering about:

1: It gives me a prompt for this "BioExcess" thing I've never seen before. Judging by the description (it asks me for fingerprints) I imagine it's some security thing, right? I don't think I really need it (never lost a laptop before), so I won't bother with it, but I just want to make sure.

2: More importantly, when I turn it on, it also tells me something about an "Intel Hotspot Wi-fi assistant." I use my university's wireless, so I can just decline this, right?
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 5:23pm
The BioExcess has to do with setting up the fingerprint reader as it's an Egistec product and I'm pretty sure that's the hardware manufacturer.  I don't recall having that on my Krypton, however, and I don't see it in my installed apps, but I may be misremembering.  I set up the fingerprint access using the Windows 8.1 controls.  If you're using Win 7, then it's probably a separate app like you're seeing.

I actually use the fingerprint reader to log into my laptop or unlock it as it's faster than typing in the password (sometimes).

Yes, ignore the Intel Hotspot Wi-Fi Assistant.  It's annoying and was useless to me.  If there's a way to turn off the prompt, do so if you don't need it.
Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 5:30pm
Thanks Roykirk! Yeah, I disabled that assistant prompt and I'm ignoring the Bioexcess thing for now, as I'm not worried about my laptop being accessed by anyone else.

That said, in reference to my adapter: Dryden got back to me after speaking with the technicians and it turns out you *can* use the Javelin adapter with the Lance! I'll try it when my Lance is done installing updates.* After that, I'll try to get in a full review with more pictures sometime within the next few days...I'm feeling a little tired ATM and gotta get some sleep XD

*Windows updates, I also downloaded Adobe reader and MS Office...I had hoped to get it for free through my university, but it turns out Microsoft only lets you download it once even if you're a grad student! I had to pay 13 bucks to reactivate my download key a second time...much better than like 165 bucks, certainly, but still. Microsoft is so cheeeeeap!!!! Upset
Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 6:38pm
Hmm, now I have run into a bit of a problem...anyone ever encountered a windows update error # 0x80070057?

Edited by Gunlord - 26 Sep 2014 at 6:39pm
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 6:39pm
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/error-80070057-when-installing-windows-updates/3646cb74-3cfc-4bea-b5a0-ba78ff4864d0 see if that helps??
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Black Fire Dragon View Drop Down

Quote Black Fire Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 6:49pm
Happy birtbday gunlord!
That out of the way, I've been wanting ask but haven't had the time to (also in college): why not the equinox? It was within your price range.
Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 6:53pm
Equinox didn't have a CD drive, which I need. Anyway, thanks Arkansaswoman, I'll give those a look and see how they work.
Gunlord View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Gunlord Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 7:31pm
I think it worked!! Thanks soooo much :D :D :D
i3enny View Drop Down

Quote i3enny Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 1:41am
Im excited for you man!! Happy belated birthday- I too have bought a Lance and it is currently in route- I cant wait to see what it can do!!!
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 9:37am
Wow.. missed the arrival and the birthday.. lol.. just my luck.

Hope both were (are) the very, very best!
 Post Reply Post Reply