FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Behemoth SSD upgrade

Post Date: 2014-08-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MagicAmmo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MagicAmmo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Behemoth SSD upgrade
    Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 10:07am
I have no Idea how to install an ssd into this laptop ive never messed with laptops before is there some sort of pdf telling me exactly witch screws to take out and what not lol. I know where the HDD is would the SDD slot be directly on the other side?

please get back with me
Behemoth
Intel Core i7 4810MQ
8GB DDR3 1600MHz
1TB 5400RPM HDD
2x SLI (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M 8GB with NVIDIA Battery Boost + NVIDIA Optimus)
Microsoft Windows 8.1
MagicAmmo View Drop Down

Quote MagicAmmo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 10:31am
also could I use this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GSJ9X4Q/ref=amb_link_396759842_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-3&pf_rd_r=15MWN61MGWE13Y79907N&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1685288042&pf_rd_i=507846
Behemoth
Intel Core i7 4810MQ
8GB DDR3 1600MHz
1TB 5400RPM HDD
Microsoft Windows 8.1
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 10:59am
If you go to the Upgrading your computer part of the user manual, it'll show you how to remove the 1st HDD to get at the slot underneath for access to the 2nd HDD/SSD slot.  It'll say that any 2.5" SSD with a height of 9 or 7 mm or so will fit. If one is 9.5mm the other might have to be 7mm .   Check the manual to be certain, but they do stack on each other. 

If you put in an SSD for your operating system, you'll need to install the OS from disc  to the SSD, reboot it with the older HDD unplugged so Windows knows which drive to use for OS.  After that, you can plug in the old HDD, with power off,  and use it just for data, etc.    That's how it work for desktops, anyways.  I haven't done it for laptops but I'm assuming its all the same thing. 

Hope this helps.  Maybe others with more recent laptop experience will chime in. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 30 Aug 2014 at 11:15am
MagicAmmo View Drop Down

Quote MagicAmmo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by bprat22

If you go to the Upgrading your computer part of the user manual, it'll show you how to remove the 1st HDD to get at the slot underneath for access to the 2nd HDD/SSD slot.  It'll say that any 2.5" SSD with a height of 9 or 7 mm or so will fit. If one is 9.5mm the other might have to be 7mm .   Check the manual to be certain, but they do stack on each other.  If you put in an SSD for your operating system, you'll need to install the OS from disc  to the SSD, reboot it with the older HDD unplugged so Windows knows which drive to use for OS.  After that, you can plug in the old HDD, with power off,  and use it just for data, etc.    That's how it work for desktops, anyways.  I haven't done it for laptops but I'm assuming its all the same thing.  Hope this helps.  Maybe others with more recent laptop experience will chime in. Big%20Smile

thanks for the infor i had no idea they were stacked and i looked in the users manual but I didnt find anything and also do you think i could use this hard drive? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GSJ9X4Q/ref=amb_link_396759842_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-3&pf_rd_r=15MWN61MGWE13Y79907N&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1685288042&pf_rd_i=507846 so i dont have to have 2 in there if thats even how it works lol
Behemoth
Intel Core i7 4810MQ
8GB DDR3 1600MHz
1TB 5400RPM HDD
Microsoft Windows 8.1
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 12:15pm
I believe you could just use that WD drive in place of yours.   I think the WD dual drive is 9.5 mm thick so if the HDD in your laptop now is also 9.5mm then this new drive might not fit with it. It might be cheaper to keep your HDD and get a separate larger SSD , larger than the 120gb SSD in the dual drive for less money to add to it, but up to you of course. It's all good.

MagicAmmo View Drop Down

Quote MagicAmmo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 1:36pm

I believe you could just use that WD drive in place of yours.   I think the WD dual drive is 9.5 mm thick so if the HDD in your laptop now is also 9.5mm then this new drive might not fit with it. It might be cheaper to keep your HDD and get a separate larger SSD , larger than the 120gb SSD in the dual drive for less money to add to it, but up to you of course. It's all good.

I was thinking of taking this hdd out a putting the dual drive in replacing it so it also has an ssd and hhd in one and possibly putting another SSD possibly a 1tb do you think that would work?
Behemoth
Intel Core i7 4810MQ
8GB DDR3 1600MHz
1TB 5400RPM HDD
Microsoft Windows 8.1
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 1:44pm
Sure. It holds 2x 2.5 drives, so any combo works.   Just have to make sure of their thickness. With the dual WD at 9.5 mm another SSD at 7mm should fit. Check the specs.

I think the Behemoth also can hold mSATA drives.   It's a mini SSD drive , no casing, just a board, that fits mSATA slot next to the bottom ram sticks. Here again, check the specs.
MagicAmmo View Drop Down

Quote MagicAmmo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 1:48pm

Sure. It holds 2x 2.5 drives, so any combo works.   Just have to make sure of their thickness. With the dual WD at 9.5 mm another SSD at 7mm should fit. Check the specs.

I think the Behemoth also can hold mSATA drives.   It's a mini SSD drive , no casing, just a board, that fits mSATA slot next to the bottom ram sticks. Here again, check the specs.
thanks for all of the information and the quick replies your awesome!
Behemoth
Intel Core i7 4810MQ
8GB DDR3 1600MHz
1TB 5400RPM HDD
Microsoft Windows 8.1
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 1:57pm
You're welcome.

After looking at the specs, I think both drives can be 9.5 mm thick. Not sure it's a concern but just throwing it out there.

Let us know how it goes. We love upgrade stories.
 Post Reply Post Reply