FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Back Again

Post Date: 2010-04-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  <1234>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
OutlawedPanther View Drop Down
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote OutlawedPanther Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 11:21pm
I personally would recomend "Logitech TrackMan Wheel Mouse" for any and all FPS games. It takes a little getting used to. Also you can never run out of mouse pad. Once your setting are good, a simple flick of the thumb can be a 360 turn.

Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 2:25am
Does Nvidia 3D work on the U2410???
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 3:52pm
If I'm not mistaken and you are talking about the 3D games then you need a 120Hz monitor. but double check to be sure.
Exsidium View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Exsidium Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 4:49pm
The 120 hz monitor is so you can get 60hz in 3d, but to my knowledge there is no ips monitor toting 120 hz. You can use the dell ultrasharp with proper hardware but you won't get 60 hz when using 3d.
jp619 View Drop Down

Quote jp619 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 5:20pm
I have the Razer DeathAdder and the Razer Lycosa (keytop with non-slip rubber finish) and I love both of them. Had to replace my old mouse ( Logitech MX310) which I loved so much and i couldn't find anything that I liked, until I bought the Deathadder, great mouse, and keyboard, i recommend both.

KEYBOARD: http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169417800/categoryId.35156900

MOUSE: http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169416100/categoryId.35208800

They also have a left handed version of that mouse Clap

Edited by jp619 - 11 Apr 2010 at 5:21pm
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 6:28pm
accessories I suggest -

Keyboard - Logitech G110 - Worth the dough
Mouse - Razer Imperator - High sensitivity
Speakers - Some sort of 2.1 system, I'm using LS21's

If you play an FPS, I honestly don't really see the advantage of the G15's screen. If you play RPG/MMORPG/RTS, then I see a big advantage.
I personally own a razer tarantula, hate it. Somehow, it ghosts, the keys actually lag, hell, I already weared away the "A", "S," and half of "W" and "D". Get a LED Backlit keyboard, those labels don't wear away.

For a monitor, 120Hz LCD's are able to refresh so fast that they can swap between two images at breakneck speeds, so if you have the right glasses that can filter out the images between eyes, it makes a 3D effect. Which is why nVidia 3D works on them. 60hz is too slow.

ONE MORE THING. DS dual-loop LC for one viddie and one cpu costs $750. If you say screw it to the quick-releases, you can build one yourself for about $100 less. Or, you might ask DS to build you the standard CPU cooling system, but ask them to include the XSPC dual-bay reservoir, which sets you up for a future DIY dual-loop upgrade for video.

Edited by ablahblah - 11 Apr 2010 at 6:29pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Exsidium View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Exsidium Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 7:26pm
I'm not one to argue about little stuff like this but I'm gonna have to disagree there ablahblah. The 120 hz monitors were designed to produce a 3d image at 60 hz, instead of the ~30 hz the regular monitors would put out. All monitors need the 3d kit from nvidia to work, but most monitors can do the 3d with the hardware/software from nvidia, just at a lower refresh rate.   Not to say that the 120hz aren't better suited for it, but just saying they are not the only monitors usable.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 7:34pm
was trying to get that out, yep, I know the 120hz will produce a total 3d image resulting at 60hz as viewed by a person. it functions though by alternating two images at 120hz, though, and the viewer themself will really only visually interpret a a total video that refreshes at 60hz after combining the two through special glasses. am I wrong on that?

like, as in, the viewer themself sees a video refreshing at 60hz. the monitor in reality is still refreshing itself at 120hz, but it's alternating two images back and forth with each refresh, and combining the two will produce video frames that really only refresh at 60hz.

Edited by ablahblah - 11 Apr 2010 at 7:36pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Exsidium View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Exsidium Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 7:41pm
It splits the 120 to make the two images 60hz each.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 9:38pm
yeshp, that's what i meant o_o

I'm bad at explaining myself lol.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 12:30am
Ok guys thanks so much for all the comments:

I amn't that great with computers and DIY stuff as I am only 14 and I never really bought myself a rig... But from what I understand from Ablablah I can get LC??? But DS won't fully build it??? So I will need help as to where I can get the parts to make it as well as how I can actually do it.

As for the comments about the monitor it would be great if you guys could suggest a monitor that fits the requirements in order to use 3D.

And one more thing: When DS4ME configured my comp he put a very basic cooling system which u can c on the 1st page. I want LC and not necessarily dual loop but I will need at least some sort of it because I will most likely be overclocking.

Thanks alot guys for all the help!

PBB

Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 12:41am
Oh and about my accessories would the tarantula be a good keyboard? I am also getting the Naga mouse and a mouse pad to go with it. As for speakers I am getting Logitech X-540 5.1. Do you think these are good?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 12:50am
I didn't put a basic cooler for you, I put the Noctua 12, which is a top fo the line cooler, its better then asetek, the only coolers better then the Noctua 12 here is the Noctua 14 and stage 3 and above cooling.

the cpu is being overclocked with the Noctua and as I mentioned you don't need LC nor do you need to oc the gpu, you can but you won't see the difference.

if you want LC on the cpu here it is, but again its pointless for what you are doing:

Here you go Ticket# 399041 --- Price: $3195 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $2945

instead of wasting your money on LC system that is not necessary, spend the money on a good ssd where you will actually see performance difference, vs ocing the gpu where you won't see the performance difference.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Apr 2010 at 12:52am
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 3:16am
Hmm ok but I would like to leave some room so if I want to upgrade it in the future I can.
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 3:58am
Originally posted by Bullseye

Hmm ok but I would like to leave some room so if I want to upgrade it in the future I can.

You seem to have the wrong idea about LCing. LC is never necessary, it is a luxury, and it will not help you upgrade in the future. The only things that will limit your ability to upgrade your PC in the future are your power supply, motherboard, and (to a smaller degree) your case.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 4:32am
I meant if I OC it more and I will be playing Crysis in 4 hour sessions... High settings
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 5:16pm
Amusingly, I don't even find Crysis to be a very good FPS.

But anyway, it breaks down like this. At 1900x1200 res a single stock GTX 480 with no OC already runs every single game except Crysis and Metro 2033 at maximum settings. From there I'd say you have three main options:

1. Pay DS $1,011 (vs a Noctua U12P) for their CPU and single GPU LC system to get something like a 30%~ GPU performance increase from OC. Maybe.
  2. Pay $500 for a second GTX 480 to run in SLI for a 80%~ performance increase.
  3. Save the money to buy a much faster GPU in the future or spend it on a nice SSD, and just enjoy Crysis with lowered AA setting and Metro 2033's advanced depth of field option off.
Lilim
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 5:19pm
LC is always nice, looks cool, but the performance differential is gonna be at least 100% worse than if you invested in a SSD man. overclocking the gpu from say, 675, to 700 will make no obvious difference, it's only worth it if you can go way past that.

Also, um, you can get pretty insane CPU overclocks with standard coolers. I've got mine from 2.66 to 3.33 using the STOCK Smile

Tarantula? Did you say Razer Tarantula? OH GAWD NO! NO MAN NOOOOOOOO...

I have one myself. I hate this thing. I swear, hyperresponsive keys my butt, it lags sometimes. The keys will only respond if you press ALL THE WAY DOWN and THEN some, and the labeling wears away. Trust me, if you're gonna game for long times, get a keyboard with the keys labels backlit. As in, the labels aren't really there, it's just a character etched out on the key, and the backlighting shines through. Those will NOT wear away, I've already lost A, S, and half of W and D, E's starting to go too.

Maybe go for a lycosa, or a Logitech keyboard which I'm getting (G110)

Edited by ablahblah - 12 Apr 2010 at 5:22pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 7:10pm
I agree with Dragoonseal on this, you can spend $1,011 to play crysis with 4aa instead of 2aa or you can save that money and play with 2aa and put the money toward an ssd or a future gpu.
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 3:18am
What does AA mean?

Please post a configuration for the computer.

Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 5:41am
Okay this is the ticket number: 399294 What do you think??

*EDIT*: Oh and my accessory ideas seemed to be complete failures so I need to find a screen that can play 3D. Does Crysis play in 3D?

Edited by Bullseye - 13 Apr 2010 at 6:54am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 7:08am

What is AA?

AA stands for Anti-Aliasing. Ever played a game on a low resolution and lines weren't so straight, having lots of jagged edges? Higher resolution means less jaggies, more AA means less jaggies. Some games have more pronounced jaggies than others, some games handle them so well that at higher resolutions little to no AA is even needed for a smooth picture. Example of Anti-Aliasing.

Okay this is the ticket number: 399294 What do you think??

Here is the same thing, for $770 cheaper: 399297

Lilim
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 9:19am
Lol ty. Now that I have a pretty much solid configuration I think it's time I start to look at the peripheral etc.
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 9:50am
399304 New ticket. I want the zalman fans to make it look better as I can't paint it. I know they are noisy but I don't want it to look ugly. I think I'm there...
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 10:34am

399304 New ticket. I want the zalman fans to make it look better as I can't paint it. I know they are noisy but I don't want it to look ugly. I think I'm there...

I always hear they are noisy, but I guess on the upside they should look very nice. The HAF932's front red LED fan certainly does.

Random things about your new ticket:
  1. You have two DVD drives selected, I don't know if that was on purpose. I don't really see a point in it personally.
  2. The Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler you selected does not fit on that EVGA motherboard. You will either have to change the cooler or change the motherboard.
  3. Don't buy the Crysis pack from DS for $60, but it yourself from somewhere else for $40 or less. On Steam, for example.
  4. Why do you keep selecting SLI dual GTX 470s? If you are not running games at 2560x1600 on a 30" monitor then you are getting no benefit from them over a single 480. In fact you may well even be at a disadvantage at times because of the inherent issues with SLI. When I said a single 480 can run every game out there but two (Crysis, Metro 2033) at maximum settings at 1900x1200 resolution, I meant it very literately, it can run every single game out there at maximum settings. Nothing (within reason) can currently run Crysis or Metro 2033 at maximum settings but they can be safely enjoyed at 95% of maximum by turning down a single setting, either AA or DoF. In short, you are wasting money that could be put to much better use.
  5. Don't have them tweak and disable Windows 7 features, configure it to your liking yourself. This isn't a Dell we're talking about here so full of bloatware you may never even get it all uninstalled, this is strictly a bare bones Windows 7 OS install. There's almost nothing worth disabling anyway save for maybe Windows Aero (and Indexing and Defrag if you are using a SSD), but Core i7 CPUs are so blazing fast you won't even notice a difference, disabling Aero is mostly just if you don't like how it looks. Configuring Windows 7 is amazingly easy, disabling Aero takes all of 3 clicks and they even let you turn off just about anything else you want to with a few clicks like so:
Lilim
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 10:44am
Ok thanks.

What is an air cooler that I can get with my current motherboard? I will be adding a 3rd GPU in the future so I need to keep this motherboard. Also I want to play Crysis at maximum settings so I will be able to do that with my graphics card. And finally how do I put money on a steam acc.? I don't even have one...
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 11:22am

Ok thanks.

What is an air cooler that I can get with my current motherboard? I will be adding a 3rd GPU in the future so I need to keep this motherboard. Also I want to play Crysis at maximum settings so I will be able to do that with my graphics card. And finally how do I put money on a steam acc.? I don't even have one...

I'm sorry but current computer hardware just can't completely 100% max out Crysis, though most run it fine if AA is turned down. You buy games through Steam like you buy anything over the internet, debit or credit card.

You can either step down to the smaller Noctua cooler, which is DS's second best air cooler, or you can change the motherboard to a smaller EVGA x58 LE or the bigger EVGA x58 Classified 3X SLI. Both of those motherboards can run triple SLI and also fit the larger Noctua NH-D14.

Blarg. Crysis, Crysis, Crysis, Crysis, Crysis, Crysis, and you don't even care about the amazing benefits of a SSD. You make me very sad. I give up for the night, I'm going to bed. Hopefully others will offer opinions to help you out.

Geek
Lilim
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 12:59pm
The problem is an SSD will cost and extra 656 where an extra graphics card will cost an extra 250. The $656 will go way over my budget...

Edited by Bullseye - 13 Apr 2010 at 1:09pm
Fearnot View Drop Down

Quote Fearnot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 1:14pm
For your accessories, it all depends on what type of games your going to be playing (FPS, MMO etc)

FPS games (EG: BFBC) you will want mice with high DPI and sensitivity
for keyboards you will want great response time, and macro keys and tactile keys never hurt either

For MMO games (EG: WoW) you will want mice that have more than just 3 buttons (wheel,left click, right click) and keyboard wise you would want one that has easy Macro'ing capabilities and good response time and tactile keys never hurt either.

As for Gaming mice for FPS i would suggest:
Razer Lachesis : Amazing DPI (4000), nice feel, 5 buttons, easy adjustable sensitivity, response time on it is amazing.

MMO Gaming mice:
Razer Naga : 17 button mouse, 12 thumb buttons that can be keybound to your default number row or number pad, good DPI, feel is nice, and has amazing response time also.

There are other mice out there such as logitech's, Steelseries, I have tried almost all of their mice and the one company for gaming I found best was Razer (Just personal preference)

As far as keyboards go, there are two good keyboards for FPS games I have found.

Razer Tarantuala : The reason this keyboard is good for FPS is because it has deadicated macro keys on the left side of the keyboard, making them easily accessable, it also has keys with symbols on them (EG: Grenade, Knife) that you can put in an existing keys place. (EG: you want "Q" key to be knife, you put the key with the "Knife Symbol" where the "Q" key is instead.) Response time on the tarantuala isn't that bad , but can be in and out sometimes.

Logitech G15 : This keyboard is good for FPS as well. It has enough "G Keys" (Macro keys) for any FPS game out there that are easy to configurate. One feature about the G15 is its LCD screen in the middle of the keyboard. In FPS games its not really important because theres not much to display on it except ammunition, score (etc). The keyboard does have good response time though and i find the keys provide tactile feedback.

Now for MMO Gaming Keyboards , There is only 1 keyboard I have tried that I would recommend that keyboard being :

Razer Lycosa : This keyboard is amazing for MMO Gaming, the Keys have a non-slip rubber finish on them that will cause your fingers to stay on that key, not slide off and hit the wrong one , The main feature of the Lycosa is that it doesn't have any deadicated macro keys, instead the whole Keyboard can be macro'ed. The software Razer gives you to do this is extremely easy to use. one downside to this keyboard is that some people complain about the Backlighting, people claim its not bright enough, however Razer did change the backlightning on this keyboard in 2009 so that it is bright enough to see now.

One Keyboard I do not recommend is the logitech G19, It is the same thing as the G15 except for the LCD screen, the only difference is that the LCD screen is coloured. For an extra $100 its not something you will probably use a lot. Even in MMO games the LCD Screen is almost completely useless.

All the Keyboards mentioned above are backlight btw

That being said, The main thing about a Gaming Keyboard and mouse, is that you have to like them yourself. Buttons and DPI and macro'ing abilities can only get you so far. When you choose a keyboard or mouse pick something you're comfortable with using, not just because it has 19 mouse buttons and you can macro everything to 1 key.

Pro Gamer For World of Warcraft
Premonition - US - Sen'ji
World Rank: 1st
World 1st : Heroic Halion (25 / 10 Player)
World 9th : Heroic Lich King (25 Player) [US 1st]
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 1:21pm
Ok so most likely the mouse pad will be the razer Mamosa ( I believe that's what it's called) with the Naga and the Lycosa.
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 1:31pm
Lol sorry it is called Megasoma (the mouse pad)
Fearnot View Drop Down

Quote Fearnot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 1:34pm
no need for a mouse pad with a lazer mouse lol
Fearnot View Drop Down

Quote Fearnot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 1:39pm
also been reading threw your thread and it would be a better idea to get a SSD, it will help your preformance greatly with start ups, and running programs. Theres really no point to trying to max out crysis when theres no hardware that will even come within 97% of it maxxed, your better off spending your money towards a SSD.
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 1:55pm
Lol I told you guys I can't afford one...
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 4:04pm
why are you going with sli when you dont' need it? all you need is the one 480, 2 x 470 is a horrible idea. remember what I told you about gpu rules, rules number 1: always go with a single card solution whenever possible.

instead of spending $84 on loud fans, why don't you just replace the side fan with a same exact fan but a led? you know all 3 of the 932's fans are all the same size right, the front fan is a red led version of the side and top fan but all 3 are 230mm fans, so why don't you spend $25 and getting the red led version and just swap it with the current side fan.

Here you go Ticket# 399387 --- Price: $2626 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $2626

Edited by DST4ME - 13 Apr 2010 at 4:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>