FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aventum II Questions

Post Date: 2014-11-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
John Swanson View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote John Swanson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Aventum II Questions
    Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 12:45pm
Was looking at multiple (4?) GTX 980s and was wondering if water blocks were available for these yet? Want to do all water cooled.

Also, is a raid card necessary or can the motherboard (ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V) handle that?

Can I mix raid configs? Have 2 drives in raid 1 for the OS and have raid 0 (or 5) for the rest of the drives. Would the raid card allow me to do this?

It looks like the chassis can handle 8 drives. Can I spec 8 drives even though the config only allows 6?

Thanks,
John

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 12:58pm
Just got an Aventum with 4x980s, Rampage V, and Hydrolux for all the cards and the cpu. Very quiet and cool. Get up to 146fps in Starcraft II. No raid, I intend to double up on what I have and add 2 more since there is so much space and then try.
It is very big. Sometimes DS answers here or you can call them.  And there are very knowledgeable people here also. Good luck.
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 2:08pm
Waterblocks are definitely available for the 980, I just recently had mine done, similar to Hoserator. Unless it has been released since early October when I purchased my rig however, the chipset on the Rampage V has no waterblock. DS assured me this was not an issue, and I have not had any problems with heat in my case (Corsair 900D).
Some of the other folks will probably be along in a bit and can give you more information about a Raid setup. That said, I'm sure that if the Aventum II chassis allows for 8 drives, you can request that even if the configurator won't let you set it up that way. DS will even go as far as to special order you components (for a fee) if it is not something they carry in stock.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
HydroLux Level 4 (3x GPU + CPU. No chipset)
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 5:53am
Hi John,

That is going to be a great computer. Your best source of information will be DS technical people.

What is your application that you want a big RAID array. If you go RAID you need to understand your system as it can get complicated. RAID 0 is fastest but you can lose data and not a good way to go. I don't think you want to use the RAID control on the motherboard. I understand it is software controlled in the bios. I think there is a better way but I don't know what it might be. DS can help you with that.

It sounds like you want to RAID the OS. RAIDing the OS may be a bad idea. I think you would get as good or better OS performance with the OS on a single SSD. The OS is made up of a lot of very small files and while RAID may improve read/write times I don't think it helps seek times. Unfortunately I think seek times, with the OS, will control the over all speed. Especially if the strips on your RAID are much larger than the files.

I am sorry I can't help you more but I have been away from this for a while and not up to speed. I would be interested in what you are going to use your machine for. That will impact your setup.

Frank
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 6:24am
Only 6 drives can be used in a RAID with that motherboard. This is a limitation of Intel's X99 chipset.
 Post Reply Post Reply